Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've got something new in the hopper.

7.62x39 loaded with 180gr Rem PSP CorLokt.

I just loaded up three for a velocity check. If it's able to hit 2100 fps, it should expand out to 300 yards at 1633 fps remaining velocity.

Mostly just experimenting. I bought a box of 2000 180gr PSPCL from Midway about 20 years ago, on sale for $99.00. Curious how they might work in the x39.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This loading produced 2020 fps average from a 20" barrel. I should be able to hit 2100 fps before hitting max pressure. I'll go up a half grain and see what happens.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got something new in the hopper.

7.62x39 loaded with 180gr Rem PSP CorLokt.

I just loaded up three for a velocity check. If it's able to hit 2100 fps, it should expand out to 300 yards at 1633 fps remaining velocity.

Mostly just experimenting. I bought a box of 2000 180gr PSPCL from Midway about 20 years ago, on sale for $99.00. Curious how they might work in the x39.

This loading produced 2020 fps average from a 20" barrel. I should be able to hit 2100 fps before hitting max pressure. I'll go up a half grain and see what happens.

29.0gr H335 - 2111 fps.

OK, that meets the velocity I was hoping for. Doing a pressure vs velocity ratio on QL, suggests this load is at 50,600 lbs-psi. No aggressive extractor marks on the brass, primers lok good, still have all locking lugs on the bolt........(smile).

So now I'm going to load up 10 rounds for a 100-yard accuracy test. I'll probably back the powder off to 28.8gr, and figure that should put me right at 2100 fps.

Here's a look on paper at external ballistics. With a 34 yard zero, this will line up perfectly with the ACSS reticle for the 7.62x39.

Old tests show this bullet expanding to 1500 fps, but realistically it should make a good 200-yard hunting round.....if it turns in decent accuracy.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have been thinking alot on buying a mini-30. Like the way they carry in the field ,seem a little better balanced than an AR.
Anyone have one of these for sale/trade??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenster99
I have been thinking alot on buying a mini-30. Like the way they carry in the field ,seem a little better balanced than an AR.
Anyone have one of these for sale/trade??
I would not bother.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a new Mini Thirty and it shoots terrible. One good group (~1.5-2.0") at 100 yards and the next is all over the paper (6-8"). It's a Ruger replacement for my first Mini purchased at a gun show which shot terrible. I've tried many different bullet and powder combinations in an attempt to find a load it prefers. Tried .308" and .310/312" bullets with no luck. The bore slugs .3105" with multiple tight and loose spots. It's very tight under the turned down area for the front sight. Tried firelapping the bore with no improvement. Removed the front sight and going to try some tuning weights next. My friends skinny barrel Mini shoots great with a flash hider on the end of the barrel, and terrible without it. Oh...my 7.62 X 39 Ruger American Ranch Rifle shoots great with anything I feed it. It's bore also slugs .3105" but is perfectly uniform from chamber to muzzle. I also have two AR's in 7.62 X 39 and they shoot everything great.

As a side-bar, I've recently purchased cases of PMC 123gr FMJ and BELOM 123gr FMJ and both shoot very well with the BELOM a bit better. Both have Boxer primed, reloadable cases. And at a local gun show yesterday, I purchased a 5 gallon bucket almost full of once-fired 7.62 X 39 cases. There's my winter project!

Last edited by TwoCup; 08/15/22.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Looking good Shane.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Looking good Shane.

Thanks. I loaded up 10 at 28.8gr for a 100-yard accuracy test.

This time of years I'm in a little trepidation about setting the countryside on fire. The recent fire in the Spokane Hills was a blunt reminder of how fast things can get out of control.

I did my chrono tests in the yard, into a dirt pile, that I wet everything down with a hose beforehand.

Anyhoo, this load definitely puts the x39 in good company with the 30-30. 180gr at 2100, vs 170gr at 2200, both from 20" barrels.

The 180gr PSPCL has a BC advantage over the 170gr RN, so velocity wise, it gains the velocity advantage over the 170gr at about 110 yards downrange. On paper, for practical purposes, both are pretty much neck-to-neck out to 200 yards regarding trajectory and energy.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Able to get out any more yet? Guess I am going to sign up for Indian Cr again in a few days and try to get some shooting in....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm still in a holding pattern. Been shooting trad bows lately. Looks like it will cool off next week sometime though.

I've considered joining the Indian Creek range myself. I've shot there a few times. Very nice range, but just a bit far away for me. I can see it being very convenient for you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a fan, but I do have 2 of them, a Norinco SKS from a case that I bought from Bill Hicks in '93 and a Davidson's limited run Ruger 77 MK2 that I bought for my wife to hunt with in '92.

I've had a few other AKs, SKSs, whatever the Polish AK varient was called, and a Zastava M85. I thought about buying an RAR-Ranch style in 7.62x39, but decided that an RAR-Predator in 308 would cover the same niche and a little more besides in the same size package.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve got a Ruger RAR Ranch Rile in 7.62x39 that uses the Ruger Mini-30 mags. Great little hog gun that rides on the gun rack of the 4 Wheeler.
It’s pretty accurate even with the cheap Russian ammo.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ok, gotcha. I am thinking I'll get more solid results at the range for sight-ins and have plenty of that to do, although just being out on the public land is more fun, errr, less ruley for blasting! I haven't resorted to shooting into my pole barn from the porch, yet! Please update on your .308 bullet load work when you get a chance. I have a bunch of Speer 150s that I figure might expand at lower x39 velocities. 👍

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Uhhmmm....."like"?
I'm just not an AK fan.
Let me clarify
My disdain for the AK47 has nothing to do with the cartridge and I don't know enough about the AK or SKS to make any relevant judgement on them.
I absolutely LOVE the AR platform and would have no nm problem with an AR chambered in 7.62×39.
Basically, it's a semi auto .30-30 Win

Fills the niche of the .30-30 in a semi auto platform
Can't believe Ruger dropped the 6.8mm Rem SPC Ranch for the 7.62×39 and the .300 ACC (Blackout).
Oh well, they didn't ask me! LOL!

Don’t let DigitalDan catch you saying that. I was bragging (a bit) on my grandson’s deerslaying with his Howa and said the same thing, and might’ve taken a poke at the Blackout at the same time. Dan corrected me😳.

BTW Carl, this might be the year that boy finally puts the stock you painted for him to work. Kid’s growing like a weed, eating everything that gets in his way. The Merrells I bought him about 8 months ago are already pinching his toes.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Ok, gotcha. I am thinking I'll get more solid results at the range for sight-ins and have plenty of that to do, although just being out on the public land is more fun, errr, less ruley for blasting! I haven't resorted to shooting into my pole barn from the porch, yet! Please update on your .308 bullet load work when you get a chance. I have a bunch of Speer 150s that I figure might expand at lower x39 velocities. 👍

Yeah I'll definitely share the results when I get them on paper.

Thermometer just bumped to 100F a couple minutes ago.

The range is kind of a double-edge sword. Nice facility, nice benches, target lines etc......but there has to be more control to keep it safe.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The .30 Commie seems to me to make a great deal of sense particular in pistol configuration, as compared to the 5.56 ‘Merica. When all the false legalities shake out on the bs about this and that part I’ll reconsider a short barrel defensive pistol with normal capacity magazines. A 11.5” to 12.5” unit with a rear support will make a fantastic car or truck Alamo gun loaded with .308-.312 dia 110 to 130ish gr bullets.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I started out in 7.62x39 with a Mini-30 but it was not a good fit for me. I now have a pair of Windham Weaponry SRC's in 7.62x39. They shoot well (5 shots into one and three quarter inch at 100 yards) with Federal ammunition, not as well with some European brass cased ammo that was affordable when it was available. I am reloading for them again. I bought a case quantity of Hornady FMJ bullets a few years ago and some powder this year.

The AR controls are very well thought out and the flattop accomodates scopes well (my eyes require optics).

GrimJim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Shane, I like em when they're not headed in my direction! Ha! I know you can relate.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MGunns
Hey Shane, I like em when they're not headed in my direction! Ha! I know you can relate.

Yeah, no kidding!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

Yeah I'll definitely share the results when I get them on paper.

Thermometer just bumped to 100F a couple minutes ago.

The range is kind of a double-edge sword. Nice facility, nice benches, target lines etc......but there has to be more control to keep it safe.

Shot the load with the 180gr PSPCL at 2100 fps today.

Results were not good. About 4 MOA at 100 yards.

I shot the first group of five shots and had some hope. Four were in 1.5" with a flyer opening the group to 4".

I adjusted the scope 2 moa left, and 2 moa up. Fired the second group and it was a loose 4" group also.

First group was triangles, Second group was circles.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dangit, that's pretty rough!

Originally Posted by Pappy348
BTW Carl, this might be the year that boy finally puts the stock you painted for him to work. Kid’s growing like a weed, eating everything that gets in his way. The Merrells I bought him about 8 months ago are already pinching his toes.
Just saw this. Good to hear he's growing up right. Hope he'll be hammering away with the Mini soon to help keep you busy and out of trouble! Let me know if you want to tweak that stock any further. 👍 Still procrastinating and haven't touched my Mini Russian or Grendel other than scope swapping.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.