Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Three Rip Van Winkle moments in one afternoon.

First: I've been buying raw milk (two or three half gallons per week) at the same small mom and pop grocer in town for fifteen years or more. Generally speaking, the milk is great, and lasts at least as long as advertised on the expiration date, but on rare occasions it sours far short of the advertised date, and when I told them about that happening back 12 years ago or so, they said next time bring them back with the receipt, and we'll replace them. I was impressed with that, and on the rare occasions when that happened, I would do just that.

This week was one such occasion. I bought three half gallons on the 4th with August 12th expiration dates, and packed them in a cooler with ice for the ride home as usual. By Saturday the 6th, the remaining two were spoiled past being drinkable. So I found the receipt and put it in my wallet so I will have it on my next trip out there, which was today.

I walk in with the two half gallons and the customer service desk is right there. There was a woman whom I'd never before seen in the store there who asked me what the problem was. I told her, expecting to be instructed to go back and get two more, but instead she said that the store no longer takes milk back for any reason. I had an argument with her, but to no avail, and when I asked to speak to her manager, she said I was talking to the manager (a woman I'd never seen in the store in the fifteen years I'd been coming every week).

Second: On the way home, it occurred to me that it had been a while since I'd taken advantage of McDonald's Breakfast Anytime policy, and the idea of a Sausage McMuffin with Egg was sounding really good to me just then. So I pulled into the McDonald's only to see a line of cars wrapped all the way around. Okay, so I park and walk in.

I go to the cashier counter and no one is there. Great! No line. What luck. But I wait and wait and wait, and don't see a cashier anywhere. I look to the left and see people busy at the drive through window, but they don't seem to care that there's a dining-in customer by the counter. Eventually, a surly black woman tells me that if I want to order, I have to use the kiosk. Okay, this isn't the airport, so what's a kiosk doing at a McDonald's? I turn around and look behind me to see a row of kiosks.

Third: I go over and take a minute to figure out how the thing works. I then look for the item I want, a Sausage McMuffin with Egg. No luck. I must be looking in the wrong place, or I need to flip to the next page, but that was a dead end. It wasn't there. I called to the surly black woman to tell her I don't see what I'm looking for. She asks what it is, and I tell her. "Oh," she says, "We don't have Breakfast Anytime anymore at McDonald's"

Not being in the mood for lunch, I turn and walk out.

And that was my Rip Van Winkle day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Surly bleck womern

Aren’t they all?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm sure it only gets better from here on. GD

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by greydog
I'm sure it only gets better from here on. GD
LOL. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Breakfast anytime?

I've never wanted breakfast at a fast food place when I could get dinner.
Have sat and waited for dinner, so I didn't have to eat breakfast.
Do like a steak, egg and cheese bagel though.
The dripping grease is what makes it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How much is your raw milk per gallon? Outs just went up from $10 to $12
We can’t just buy it here in NC., you need to be part owner in a cow to be able to buy it from yourself, essentially.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What took you so long Hawk? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sausage McMuffin with egg just rules.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry I miss read your post. I thought it said "I feel like having a Pappy Van Winkle today"

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jahrs
How much is your raw milk per gallon? Outs just went up from $10 to $12
We can’t just buy it here in NC., you need to be part owner in a cow to be able to buy it from yourself, essentially.
$9.58 per gallon.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting.

One of our "local" groceries, part of a relatively small regional chain, puts out a calendar every year with a monthly coupon page on the back. Different item each month, sometimes two. Like a bouquet of flowers in May, for Mother's day no doubt, along with a bag of salad. Or maybe in July it's a take and bake pizza. It was one of only two stores when we moved here, and they have mostly quality stuff, so we shopped there pretty regular. And used the coupons most months. Free enchiladas, sure we'll take that.

This past December we received the calendar, started looking through the coupons, and they had instituted a "with $50 purchase excluding beer, cigs, milk, etc)

As we now have a Grocery outlet along with the other grocery store that was here when we moved in, we find ourselves shopping at the coupon place less often. Their loss leader idea is no longer working. Wife told me their losing money now and she' saving some.

They went through a management change in the store, along with a number of employees either leaving or getting fired perhaps, and the folks there aren't as friendly.

Not sure about the Van Winkle thing, but change is not always for the better.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've run into the McDonald's kiosk situation a couple of times lately. Fugg that. I wonder what's next? Dropping my own fries and flipping mybown burgers?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
They are good.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
They are good.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Same here. It’s not very user friendly 🤬

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Not sure about the Van Winkle thing, but change is not always for the better.
Agreed. Not liking any of the changes I've come across today.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I've run into the McDonald's kiosk situation a couple of times lately. Fugg that. I wonder what's next? Dropping my own fries and flipping mybown burgers?

They're going mechanized on that too.

Pretty soon, everywhere will be that cursed walmark's model.

YOU work for them, they make a profit from the sale and your labor.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bruinruin
LOL. Exactly. It's BS.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Same here. It’s not very user friendly 🤬

Are you a boomer? grin

In it is contentment

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We’ve noticed that fresh non-pasteurized, non-homogenized milk does not last as long as store bought “milk”. We can go through a gallon of it in 2 days so it rarely gets the chance to turn. Somebody (maybe the dairy farmer himself) told me that he freezes it and it stays “fresh” but I’ve never tried it and probably won’t….but I should buy a half gallon to try it. A gallon at the dairy is $11 but it does help our son’s hay fever symptoms.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 7 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,509
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.