Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Probably got KTNN- 660 AM can hear it most anywhere on the Rez.

If you drove from Moab to Gallup, you pretty much had to go through the town of Shiprock, and near by the rock of Shiprock.

I went to Shiprock last year and took a couple pics.

We were heading North outta Santa Fe on our way to the Grand Canyon country just last year with the motorhome.

We'd decided instead of going into Farmington we'd stay south of the San Juan River and turned West on 36, that's how we'd head across the Navajo Nation to pick up 491.

36 is a little two lane and it was beat to hell, had to slow down to like 20mph in places due to road damage.

About halfway across to 491 it started getting interesting, there were some ungodly poor looking little clusters of houses and mobile homes after which the sides of the road were covered with beer cans and bottles.

This went on for miles, the closer we got to Shiprock the denser the beer bottles, it was so amazing I decided to take a couple pictures which really didn't pan out.

[Linked Image]
Some things just don't show up in a image the same as the impact in real time, I might have captured the Shiprock rock in this image but if so it was by complete accident, I was still trying to photograph the beer bottles.
[Linked Image]

We figured if we just followed this path of beer bottles it'd surly lead us to a discount liquor store somewhere up ahead.

Ends up it lead us to a gas station at the junction of 491 and 64 where we needed to turn left to proceed to the Canyon country.

We stopped at the station to fill up the motorhome.
It was a really sketchy place, the pump rejected the Chase card I'd been using to buy gas but it took my trusty Wellsfargo card.

My young friend went in to checkout the beer while I filled up.
The pump shutdown at a weird number, like $103.37 or something which wasn't quite a full tank.
It was enough, this was back in the old days when gas was half price, you know, last year. I didn't want to go in and deal with these people to try and figure out why it stopped pumping anyway.

We proceeded West on 64 from there which is where I took this picture.

[Linked Image]

We were just a few miles West of Shiprock when my phone started blowing up with texts and emails.

It was Wellsfargo, they had rejected the gas purchase and put a hold on my credit card, thats why the pump had stopped, they needed me to respond and confirm it was me trying to buy gas on the Navajo Rez.

By then cell service was lost, I couldn't respond.

I turned to my friend whom was driving at the time and told him them injuns is gonna be after us, we just dissed them for a hundred bucks worth of gas.

It was less than 20 miles to the Arizona border from there so we decided to make a run for it.
He floored it, cracked the 4 barrels open and hauled azz, what the hell the gas was free.

Wellsfargo is privy of these things, they musta figured some Indian had stolen my credit card, they been dealing with Indians for a long time, they know these things...
[Linked Image from i0.wp.com]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yesterday's day trip......

wife has never been in this area......she was amazed

Big T/storms had me a little concerned for a while

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,968
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.