Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
They look like beavers if they get burned up in a fire.

I am MAGA.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We see one every few years at the lease in Comfort,the old ranchers around there hate them for killing trees.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We tried to make a pet out of one when we were kids. Cute and would follow us around the yard. But it would want to cuddle. Use your imagination on how that worked out. It would walk across the floor and leave a trail of quills. Made the rug impassable when walked on barefoot. We finally repatriated it to nature.
Porcupines are the enemy in eastern Montana. They will girdle the few trees that grow along creek bottoms and kill them. Mostly open season on quill pigs.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
They look like beavers if they get burned up in a fire.
Don't bring Anne Heche into this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only ever dealt with one dog v. porcupine encounter, that was enough. Kill on sight, same as coyotes.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One of the few creatures for which I can't think of a single good thing other than elimination. They always girdle the best trees, eat hoses, destroy sheds, and are terror for our dogs. Tough buggers - I've put a 20 gauge load up one 10' up a tree and it still held on. Another was shot through the ears and was still moving his legs 20 minutes later.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Only ever dealt with one dog v. porcupine encounter, that was enough. Kill on sight, same as coyotes.

Same here.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the porcupine curious…….

These seem like nice folks. Came to Alaska to carve out a home, and seem to be doing it right, not living in a bus anyway. Hard workers for certain.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
The influx of porcupines in our area. When I was a kid there was always the very rare occassional one that happened thru the area. Usually in the western end of this county. But they are everywhere here now. Have three that are regular visitors to one of my feeders about 1:30 of a morning. Cousin over the hill, his old deaf and almost blind blue lacey got tangled up with one in the yard about 3 weeks ago. They are a shoot upon site animal here. All I need is for one to get in the yard with these damn "special needs" dogs we have 🤣🤣🤣🤣

We always saw them out west in the Pecos country and naturally up at the Colorado ranch.

Was headed to the old place other day east of Austin and there were four dead ones on the hwy almost in the city limits of the great whore. Maybe within 10 miles of roadway. They seem to be taking the place of dead armadillos on the road. Neither of which really bothers me.

Just my rambling this morning.

An apt analogy. Kind of makes you not want to look back at it when leaving.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
They seem to be fairly curious creatures as I've had them try and crawl into the treestand with me numerous times. I assume to see what I am.

That has been my experience as well

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Never seen one since they don't live around these parts. Never seen an armadillo either, but supposedly they have made their way here now.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by spencer516
Good eating
Damn, never hunted or ate a pine before. How do they taste.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Choot 'em Bob !!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Great gift for Pelosi what.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just the reverse here.

Used to be a regular thing here in the PNW with a bounty offered as a protection mechanism for young timber plantations. A 50-year ago note in our local paper mentions a kid claiming $150 at 50¢ apiece in a single year. Down on one of our refuges one could see 4 or 5 passing the day up in the forks of one of our large but rare cottonwoods. Roadkill was common as were livestock and dog run ins. Many brained everyone they saw on sight. Trout fishing late into an evening, I once vacated the trail out and waded the river, as I nearly stumbled into 2 or 3 walking out in the tall weedy vegetation. Seems odd they've not made it down into the southeastern forest. Could be oak is a bit tough on the teeth.

They were equally common in the mostly conifer timber and out in our sagebrush deserts. I've only seen two in the last decade. One roadkill and one making a successful crossing. An amorous pair emit a huge repertoire of sounds often baffling to those unfamiliar with their character.

They also seem to be salt starved, and one finds sheet metal boxes near remote cow camps and such as a protective shelter for sweat infused horse tack and salt blocks. They're often quite fond of some of the glues used in plywood too, so they'll gnaw off surface layers to get at the goodies beneath.

During long ago graduate school days, I stopped to visit a buddy, and his wife had a dead one on the kitchen table meticulously removing hundreds of quills and sorting them by size and color. Seems tribal folk would pay serious bucks for well-matched sets. Quite noticeable and attractive on their dress ups at their annual pow wows and a strip of hide with that long hair makes a neat mohawk. Haven't tried the hair for fly tying, but I think it would make some dandy streamers for pike and muskie.

[Linked Image from davisart.com]

Even though we've had a couple dog run ins, we don't personally have it in for them. Not much of a sporting kill, and they're never looking for a fight, so they get a pass when we're out and about. Unlike skunks and raccoons, they don't come in looking to toss camp after we hit the sack. We just get out the Leatherman, tell the dog to sit, and go to work. If I lived in NY though, I'd maybe work up a nice porcupine coat to wear on those crowded subways.

Something in the woods though is extremely adept at taking them on. I once found a fresh hide turned inside out beside a cattle trail and not a sign of any other remains. Don't know if it was a cat, bear, wolverine or what, but something certainly did a surgical class job of skinning the animal and packing off the remains.

As to numbers, I guess some things just wax and wane. Lived here for 10 years before seeing my first skunk in 1992. I asked the local historians about them with responses being they were common into the early 1970's and then disappeared.

Early 1980's we had a jack rabbit explosion. Everything green was consumed, haystacks were undercut and toppled, and one would see a dozen or so running the streets in town when coming out of the movie theater. Out in the desert, one could do a brick of 22LR's in a day without ever moving, and we had hawks and eagles to no end throughout the winter. Now I see about 2 jacks a year and that's with thousands of highway/byway miles and weeks in the bush.

Tough to get a decent porcuie picture, as they mostly want to display their south end.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 08/12/22.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Protected in PA still?

Was surprised to see them in the Palouse in E WA. Not many trees up that way in places. Odd to see them walking along a road surrounded by wheat fields.

Was walking along a hillside in NE PA, near a quarry of sorts. Heard weird noises coming from over the edge. Peeked over, there was a couple in a tree top making like this. Weird sounds to hear in the woods

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Plumdog
You can set a dead porky out on a plank or flat rock; come back about a week later and grab the big quills and sell 'em. Maggots will eat the rest.

Didn't the women of many American Indian tribes use the quills for decorating clothing, bags, etc.??

Maybe they might still be in the market for some. You boys seeing all those porcupines could make some pocket money. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Leanwolf,

Quillwork is waaaaaaay beyond my level of aptitude and ability. It is not easy work! One of the reasons it fell out of vogue with the introduction of glass trade beads. It hung on a while. And you see a mixture of both arts on many items. But beads eventually took over.

My hat is off to those who still do quillwork. My lady friend has a quilled scissor pouch that is to be worn around the neck. Very nice work.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/12/22.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Interesting that you mention this. Years ago I found a dead one over by Sandy on my wife's old family place. No one believed me and thought I was a crazy yankee until I came back with quills. Now they are somewhat regular there.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Interesting that you mention this. Years ago I found a dead one over by Sandy on my wife's old family place. No one believed me and thought I was a crazy yankee until I came back with quills. Now they are somewhat regular there.

Yup! They are all over the place. Sandy (Blanco county) is full of em.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 53 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.