Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Most of these rude people on this forum would NEVER say anything like this in person...

Keyboard Cowboys...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Most of these rude people on this forum would NEVER say anything like this in person...

Keyboard Cowboys...

Yeah because you and Baby Huey would kick my ass.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
What is “legal hunting” for you? Different people have different rules, depending on where and what they’re hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The difference is YOU can't tell the difference. You demands are low. I'm much like you, 75 set in my ways, frugal, don't turn turrets, don't think I need the capabilities shoot game in the next county. Most scopes in the lower price range will do a good job for you.

I'm a coyote hunter, more than avid, I usually kill coyotes in five states some years. Most of my coyote rifles shoot flat enough to hold on fur to 300 yards and if they don't they don't go out in country that offers shots that long. $500 would be a very expensive scope for me in fact I don't think I've ever spent that much on one. I've never lost a coyote due to having a low cost scope on the rifle, my Konus 1.5-6x42 works just as well as my Meopta 1.5-6x42. In 55yrs of shooting scopes I've only broken one scope and at the time it was a pretty good American made scope, it was repaired and has been on one of my rifles for 30 yrs now.

Legal hunting is not interpretive, it is set by the state. He stated what is legal in his state.

Last edited by erich; 08/14/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Back in the day, you could buy a very good expensive scope and easily switch it between rifles.

Still works today although fails the "Tactical test".

Attached Images
IMG_4460.jpeg (19.37 KB, 686 downloads)

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by erich
Legal hunting is not interpretive, it is set by the state. He stated what is legal in his state.

Where was this stated? I do not see it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a coyote hunter, more than avid, I usually kill coyotes in five states some years.
60% of the time he kills them every time...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That percentage might be high or low depending on what your definition of kill is. Ones I see or ones I shoot at.

Only saw two this day

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 08/14/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
I'm a coyote hunter, more than avid, I usually kill coyotes in five states some years.
60% of the time he kills them every time...

Nice.

"It's made with bits of real Panther, so you know it's good."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That percentage might be high or low depending on what your definition of kill is. Ones I see or ones I shoot at.

Only saw two this day

not to derail the thread-is that a vintage TW200?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it is going to come down to how good is good enough for an individual. I worked with a guy who told me the story about not being able to sort a deer out of the background with his bargain scope when he could see it with his normal vision.

Then there is my own example of sitting on a hillside seeing a nice buck at very last light feeding its way along on the far hillside. I had a 2.5-8x36 Leupold Vari-X lll on a .308 and shot when he was broadside. One shot and gone without a trace of a hit. The next day on the same hillside I had my 1.5-6x42 Zeiss 30mm Diavari on my 7mm-08 and looking at that same hillside where the deer was and I said to myself “What were you thinking?” There was a wall of brush that a bullet could deflect on. Optical resolution matters. That Leupold is on a seldom used .22 now.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I will only comment that there's far less optical difference between rifle scopes today than even 25-30 years ago, due to more companies using fully multi-coated optics. When I started hunting, some popular and supposedly quality American-made scopes didn't even have coated lenses!

I know some of this due to research conducted while writing about optics for the past 30+ years, including long talks with various people in the industry, often during factory visits both in the U.S. and Europe. But I also test scope optics far more formally than just looking through 'em during midday or even dusk. Some very inexpensive scopes (but not all) have optics very similar to some Euro-scopes costing several times as much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by trplem

Only saw two this day

not to derail the thread-is that a vintage TW200?

Erich can tell you more but it's a Van Van.

Awesome bikes. I love when he posts pics of it in use. (That's what she said)

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No offense but if you "upgraded" to a Bushnell Elite, Bushnell Trophy 4-12X40 and Bushnell Banner 3-9X40 you definitely haven't looked through quality glass, especially in low light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostman
No offense but if you "upgraded" to a Bushnell Elite, Bushnell Trophy 4-12X40 and Bushnell Banner 3-9X40 you definitely haven't looked through quality glass, especially in low light.

He's not after "quality glass". He's after good enough for his job. What's wrong with that?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyE

Kentucky's rule is a half-hour before sunrise to a half-hour after sunset.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by BillyE

Kentucky's rule is a half-hour before sunrise to a half-hour after sunset.

Thank you. That's what most states use, but some are different. South Carolina, where I hunt, allows for 1 hr before till one hour after. That is a big difference and requires much more from the optics to take full advantage of that time. There are also people who hunt hogs and coyotes at midnight. That is often done with thermal scopes, but can be accomplished with moonlight on a traditional scope--these things can tax a scope even more. If what you have works for you, then there's no reason to change.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven’t shot that many deer at absolute first light, but one that comes to mind was on a heavy overcast morning under a heavy hemlock canopy. Legal light by my watch, but near dark under those trees. The only way I could shoot that one was to hold my scope up to the sky and follow that too fine a crosshair down to the deer. I ordered a heavy Duplex and used ffp scopes after that. We don’t get that many shot opportunities here on public land, so being prepared with better than okay equipment has worked well.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Ghostman

He's not after "quality glass". He's after good enough for his job. What's wrong with that?

I've gone from absolute mud at dusk and dawn to being able to acquire targets well before and after legal hunting.

Windfall's situation was where I started, or even worse. That's all gone now. I can hunt right up to the ends of legal hunting without hindrance. What amazes me is that I really can't see a difference between the Elite, the Trophy, or the Banners. I'm sure there probably is.

Another problem that got solved by migrating to the Banner scopes was shooting up-sun. I have one stand in particular where I had to deal with the sun playing hell with my sight picture. Internal reflections in my scopes made about 10 degs of woods a nogo zone on sunny days for the better part of 20 seasons. This past fall, I took my buck in pretty much the center of that nogo zone. In the past, it would have been a curtain of yellow haze. I've had that Banner scope mounted on my Savage 99 for several years now. This was the first decent shot I've taken with it.

The other thing that amazes me is how they stand up to other scopes. I've been looking through other folks' glass over the years-- Leupold, Nikon, Burris, etc. Maybe it's my tired, old eyes, but the lowly Banners seem to compare well with those as well.

As far as ruggedness, I've had only one Banner fail. That was a scope that I purchased in the early 90's--well older than the current crop. A freak gust of wind tore the rifle off the rifle rack on the front porch and it clattered down about 5 feet to the concrete. Bushnell wanted enough money to fix it that I just replaced it with another scope. That Banner, btw, was nothing like the half-dozen I have mounted on rifles currently. It had miserable low-light capabilities.

I'm am not trying to sell folks on Bushnell Banner scopes. That would be pissing into the wind. Rather, I'm just trying to understand better what I'm missing.

Last edited by shaman; 08/17/22.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shaman, you are missing out on bragging rights.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,955
Posts18,480,430
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.