Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Just wondering I shot one yesterday that's been burrowing under my porch. I probably should have done something with it besides toss it over the fence. But I didn't have time to try to clean it and didn't want to leave it around in the heat. It was this years and may have had as much meat as a rabbit but I doubt it

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't know about woodchucks but prairie dogs could carry bubonic plague. Therefor we never even touched them much less ate them.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When I was a kid, we tried it. My grandmother was not much of a game cook.. Pretty tough. However in the previous generation, people often ate chucks. Until left my childhood home, I shot chucks each summer and hauled them home and gave them to my neighbors they ate them all. Eating wild game was much more common when I was a kid than now. Probably the last generation that will do that.

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Fine delicacy if cooked right skin it gut it quarter it and throw it in the crock pot about the only way better than beef

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
The hide makes good banjo strings

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have, but ain’t especially looking to repeat the experience. The hide is very tough, the meat as I recall similar to pork or chicken thighs.

Will re-evaluate if (when) everything goes to Hell.

The OP’s would probably have been as good as they get.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/13/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I have, but ain’t especially looking to repeat the experience. The hide is very tough, the meat as I recall similar to pork or chicken thighs.

The way this world is going you may find it on your plate sooner than you think

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My Grandma told me that during the Great Depression, her father shot raccoons and woodchucks and cooked them. Deer were poached beyond belief during that time and seldom seen

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
My wife can cook a mean ground hog for “select” people’s I’ve killed and ate for the “select” but have not reached the grand almighty point where it’s been passed to my home plate

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soaked in salt water awhile, par boiled, fried.
It's food. There's better.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Young of the year woodchuck is good. I've eaten a good many. Woodchuck liver is excellent. Much better than calf, beef or deer liver.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve ate several. Hard to find one young enough to fry. Like someone said maybe parboil it. We used to just cook them like a roast. An old hunter friend of mine that done a lot of cooking and eating wild meat would take a big roaster pan and put a ground hog a pound of bacon and some cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth and bake it till tender and that was some fine eating. That bacon have it a great flavor and added some needed fat to the mix.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one tunneling under my barn that I need to ambush. Never tried eating any groundhog. I guess I could try it once. Free cat food if I don't like it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Irving_D

I have a yard full of rabbits and squirrels I’ve been fattening up with sunflower seeds, corn, and dropped fruit. They think I'm their friend. Come SHTF- 😋

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by earlybrd
The hide makes good banjo strings

Have heard of using groundhog and cat skins for Banjo heads but not strings. In damp weather you would never keep it in tune.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've eaten ground woodchuck, an 80/20 mix of 'chuck meat and beef fat. It tasted about like any ground wild game meat that I've eaten after it had been mixed with beef fat and cooked on a grill. It would probably make good chili filler meat too.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Grandparents ate it often and always said it was the younger ones they used - I have yet to try one but do intend to do so when the “right” circumstances arise (i.e. have a way to cool it down and keep it cool once shot)…..can’t imagine they’d be “bad” considering their diet and no bubonic plague to worry about with them.

PennDog

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Young of the year woodchuck is good. I've eaten a good many. Woodchuck liver is excellent. Much better than calf, beef or deer liver.

Tried liver too, gave it to some under teenage kids and they all loved it! Can't remember how I cooked it as it was about 55 yrs. ago.

Hip

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Around the end of June the young of the year would be just big enough. Used to par boil then BBQ, ground up the bigger ones and use for spagetti sauce. With the small farms dissapearing, and the coyotes moved in don't see many anymore. I would crockpot now. Check under the armpits for little glands that look like a corn kernel and cut them off.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Groundhog makes good BBQ. Several of us killed several groundhogs and took them to my neighbor, who fixed it for the July 4th neighborhood get together. We never told anybody it was groundhog, so they ate it and liked it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never ate one, and don't plan on it, but the old Black folks here would go crazy over them.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Southern friends cooked one, looked like a fetus in the pan. Tasted pretty good.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cooked up a big one a few years back.

I've ate all sorts of "weird" things. It was by far the worst.

I keep meaning to try a young one.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you guys who didn't like it remove the glands from the front armpits? Makes a difference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a kid my Grandpa told me they had eaten them ,amongst a lot of other stuff too Ha

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Irving_D

Not until we run out of crickets

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
At Bar-B-Q'ed chuck once, at a sportsman meeting. I would rather eat an old pair of Shaq's Chuck Taylor Allstars than repeat it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
When I was a youngster in 58-60 time frame growing up in SW PA, the local Moose chapter in a little town where my boy lives now had an annual ground hog fete. Anyone who killed one would bring it in cleaned and into the freezer. It was OK, but not impressive.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Never ate one, and don't plan on it, but the old Black folks here would go crazy over them.

had a older black nurse tell me the same thing woodchuck is the best meat to eat . i have always wondered ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never have but it is a vegetable eating rodent. It's probably pretty good, or at least no worse than rabbit, nutria, muskrat or squirrel.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/27/22.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I shot a young one sunning itself on a tree limb in November. I called a friend of mine and he dressed it and cooked it. He told me not to bring him anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When going to college in SW Missouri I always enjoyed shooting them and then putting them on to BBQ. There was never a shortage of people wanting more

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Until I moved to VA, a couple years ago, I ate them, mostly ones that got close enough to shoot off the front porch. Shoot young ones with a 22, head shot. Get them skinned right away. Its usually hot out and you want them cleaned and cooled off quickly. I cook them like squirrels, same recipes. The hide is pretty tight, like squirrels and they taste like squirrels to me. I've even had them cooked with kraut.
Enjoy
Bfly

We used to make tough boot laces from the hide of big ones.

Last edited by Blackfly1; 09/28/22.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dispatched several on my property but never thought of lunching on them.
Agreed that may be good SHTF chow!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
IrvingD: I have eaten Rock Chuck - yearlings are best as I recall.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Masshunter
Around the end of June the young of the year would be just big enough. Used to par boil then BBQ, ground up the bigger ones and use for spagetti sauce. With the small farms dissapearing, and the coyotes moved in don't see many anymore. I would crockpot now. Check under the armpits for little glands that look like a corn kernel and cut them off.

Never ate one. But my grandma always said she'd cook me one if I got her a small one. Not a big one. She said she had cooked a bunch of them. But she said, "You have to par boil them in (baking) soda water, first".

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I don’t have any personal experience but have heard many times that they have the best tasting liver of any known beast. Or some such unknowable accolade

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No woodchucks around here, just whistle pigs.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have tried it twice.
First one was good eating. The second, not so much.
They like my garden, so I will do it again someday.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by JamesJr

had a older black nurse tell me the same thing woodchuck is the best meat to eat . i have always wondered ?

Same here. A worker at the Ford garage as a kid would gladly pay $1 each for young groundhogs that weren’t shot up bad for the table.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The bald eagles seem to like them.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I guess a woodchuck is the same thing as a groundhog?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I saw a news video on it years ago... how it was Appalachia food back in rough times and still eaten today. In that video they did like 3 types / levels of cooking it if I recall correctly. Ended up as stew after a lengthy process. You might be able to find the video if you search for it.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Never ate it myself. My grandpa ate everything back in the day. He told me young ones weren’t bad but old fat ones were just about too much. He was not squeamish about food but clearly had no desire to eat it again. It made me not bother to try one. Groundhog fit into the category of food that made him say, “it beats a snowball.”

Hearing how tough they had it when he was coming up always gave me an appreciation for how fortunate I am.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder how much woodchuck a woodchuck eater would chuck up.

Last edited by 5sdad; 12/14/22.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yea i still eat them , throw them in the crock pot ..grew up in West Virginia in the late 60's- early 80's eating them granpa and dad would shoot them and granma would roll in flour fry it . when i was old enough to shoot them mom would par boil them ,then bake them with ketchup and ramps on top.... Ramps another Appalachian delicacy yum yum .

Last edited by rem shooter; 12/14/22.

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I remember trying it years ago at a game dinner and I think it was prepared primarily like a stew. It was okay.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was wondering about eating them yesterday and spotted a rock chuck on my way home. Wondered what that would be like!

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Growing up on a farm where we raised soybeans, woodchucks were vermin. We killed them anyway we could. Dad didn't let me have a 22 so shotgun, shovel, hoe whatever was handy. And we never even thought about eating one even though we ate rabbits and pheasants. Deer if Dad got one.

Years later I married a southern gal. Her family ate those groundhogs. Mother in law wanted to fry up some young ones that I shot at home. I didn't really want to but I skinned them and she pan fried them. The first couple of bites I had to choke down, but after I tasted them, they were good. Not much different than a rabbit. They always baked the old ones, and as someone said, glands under the front legs had to be removed.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I would but never got around to trying one, but know some that have eaten them many times. All the folks I've ever heard talk about them agree that the old ones aren't worth fooling with, hard times only. But would readily prepare & eat young ones when given the opportunity.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I wonder how much woodchuck a woodchuck eater would chuck up.
He would chuck up as much woodchuck as a woodchuck eater could chuck up, if a woodchuck eater could chuck up woodchuck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.