Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ruger Americans are good to go.

I’ve got a couple LH. 7-08 and 6.5cm

The creed is the predator model.

Now, if they’d make a LH .300BO. 😁😁

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I own one, the "go wild" model in .243, full size (not the compact model). I swapped out the trigger spring, replaced the muzzle brake with a thread protector, and mounted a Leupold 6x42 on it. Shooting factory Hornady 100 grain interlocks, it shoots a "skinny" inch, every time.

It has become my primary coyote calling rifle. I take killing coyotes seriously, and wouldn't take a gun that I didn't have 100% confidence in.

Andy3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We invested $250 (total cost) into a new Ruger American 30-06 about 8 or 10 years ago! Through together some loads from previous loads for another rifle……shoots pretty darn good for a $250 rifle! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya they really suck, especially when paired with a leupold! 👊🏻

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

358 win there

Last edited by Judman; 08/14/22.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hear nothing but good things about their accuracy, and almost no functioning issues. That said, they are not my cup of tea. Can't warm unto any of the new generation of "BIC" rifles.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a Howa Mini, then skip your Starbucks long enough to pay for one of Wayne York’s floorplates or a DIP metal triggerguard.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Looking for your thoughts on a 7.62x39.

Twist, bore diameter, quality etc.

I have not spent much time with them but the ones I have seen seem kinda cheap...bolt makes a zipper sound and stock seems flimsy.

Am I wrong? Would it be a good all around truck gun type?

I don't know how Ruger cut the throats in the American rifles, but I bought my Wife one of the Davidson's run of stainless 77s back in 1992 and it has a tappered throat so that a person could shoot cheap Chinese and Russian ammo. It is not the most accurate Ruger that I've owned, but it is more accurate than any AK or SKS that I've shot. Now that cheap Chinese and Russian ammo is no longer available, the 7.62x39 is no longer very attractive to me. I bought an RAR-P in 308 because it is as short as the Ruger American Ranch rifles and I can load it to 7.62x39 performance levels if I am ever moved to do so. In a RAR, I'd rather have a 223/5.56 than a 7.62x39 for a truck gun and if I wanted a little more pop, a 6.5 Grendel might be better yet if it had a flush magazine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My RAR is an older rotary version in .223.
It usually wears a SWFA 3x9 MQ.
I replaced the trigger with a Timney.
The darn thing shoots everything I’ve ever loaded into nice tiny groups. I modified a magazine to take longed loads and have pretty much settled on the 68gr bthp as my go-to.
I was able to get a compact stock for it, for the grandkids when they are ready.

I then bought a Tikka T3X SL in .223 with the 8” twist.
It’ll group the 60gr V-Max very well - but key holes the 68gr bthp and 75gr A-Max even at 25 yards!! 😲
Obviously I have more work to do on it, but I’m pretty damn disappointed in it so far and will keep a tight grip on that old RAR….

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
My RAR is an older rotary version in .223.
It usually wears a SWFA 3x9 MQ.
I replaced the trigger with a Timney.
The darn thing shoots everything I’ve ever loaded into nice tiny groups. I modified a magazine to take longed loads and have pretty much settled on the 68gr bthp as my go-to.
I was able to get a compact stock for it, for the grandkids when they are ready.

I then bought a Tikka T3X SL in .223 with the 8” twist.
It’ll group the 60gr V-Max very well - but key holes the 68gr bthp and 75gr A-Max even at 25 yards!! 😲
Obviously I have more work to do on it, but I’m pretty damn disappointed in it so far and will keep a tight grip on that old RAR….

Why have you not contacted Beretta yet about your ill Tikka? Seems pretty lame to me. My 8 twist 22-250 does just fine with 77's. Something is wrong with the barrel on yours. Send the fugger back and quit messing around with it. Also, why waste your time with 60gr v-max when the 53's have a better bc? Come on guys.. Now, on the RAR. They are cheap. The QC is not great. They tend to be accurate, but are lacking in build quality. Some I've seen have really rough chambers and crowns. As an example: One of my buddies has had to send 2 back for issues. They don't feed great either. Not my cup of tea at all. They are a cheap truck gun at best..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
mjbgalt;
Good afternoon, I trust the day's going according to plan and all who matter to you are well.

There's a chap from Montana who used to post here who has one in 7.62x39 and he's had very good luck with his.

I personally know of 3 chambered in .223, 2 in .243 and a 6.5Creed, all of which seem to shoot and function reasonably well. None of them seem to have barrels which easily foul or would be considered "quirky" really.

The older ones with the rotary mags sometimes needed the mags tweaked a bit and my early .223 also benefited from hogging the fore end out more so it wouldn't touch the barrel.

Hopefully that was useful to you sir. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dwayne,

Ruger Americans should come with a ratchet rope and a big skinning knife. Just ask Greg, our fellow freighter canoeist:

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
I hear nothing but good things about their accuracy, and almost no functioning issues. That said, they are not my cup of tea. Can't warm unto any of the new generation of "BIC" rifles.
I've also heard good things, though not my cup of tea either. I'm about to find out first hand - my 10 yr old grandson will start hunting this year and I just picked up a Compact 243 in a scaled down stock and 18" barrel for his first hunting rifle.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The function issues are very real. The earlier rotary mags have got to be the most frail, cheapest POS mags ever affixed to a bolt action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I just got an American Predator in 6.5 creedmoor. Out of the box it would leave a fired case laying just past the chamber. Ruger sent me a new extractor, ball and spring which fixed the issue.

Very typical of Ruger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by ingwe
I've also heard good things, though not my cup of tea either. I'm about to find out first hand - my 10 yr old grandson will start hunting this year and I just picked up a Compact 243 in a scaled down stock and 18" barrel for his first hunting rifle.

They get the job done. Tend to be very accurate. My Grandson's has served him well for many years. Too many of them ship with issues. Ruger won't balk at making it right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OP,

I have one in 7.62x39mm. Its accurate (has shot PPU into under an inch, as well as handloads) and has thus far been reliable through about 400 rounds of Norinco non corrosive steel case and 100 brass case.

Not a very big sample size I know, but for the price, I am happy with it. I've had the Howa mini as well and really wouldn't recommend one over the other.

I do not like the rotary mag models

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Igloo; 08/14/22.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Igloo,

I just picked up the 7.62x39 Ranch Saturday. I've scoped it with a B&L Elite 2-7x32. I'm waiting for a case of Norma Tactical ammo to come in this week.

I was going to download the .308 Win. with 125gr. bullets to about 2400 fps. for my grandson to use. This Ranch rifle has those ballistics in factory ammo. I think both of us are going to like shooting it.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I had a Ranch in 300 Blackout (STANAG model) for a few years. It was a nice little rifle for the price. It handled very slick, feed and extraction were decent, the trigger wasn't bad, and it was reasonably accurate. Not a tack driver, but it was a 1.25-1.5MOA rifle with all the bullets I worked up loads for, which was fine for me at the distances I was using it at.

I just wish it would have had iron sights. I thought about having a front ramp put on and using a NEGC rear, but a friend ended up making me an offer I couldn't refuse on it, so it's his toy now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by zcm82
I had a Ranch in 300 Blackout (STANAG model) for a few years. It was a nice little rifle for the price. It handled very slick, feed and extraction were decent, the trigger wasn't bad, and it was reasonably accurate. Not a tack driver, but it was a 1.25-1.5MOA rifle with all the bullets I worked up loads for, which was fine for me at the distances I was using it at.

I just wish it would have had iron sights. I thought about having a front ramp put on and using a NEGC rear, but a friend ended up making me an offer I couldn't refuse on it, so it's his toy now.

If they’d make the Ranch Model in 7.62x39 with iron sights, maybe like the ones they put on the Mini-14 and Mini-30, I’d buy another.
I’ve already got one in that caliber with a scope on it. It uses the Mini-30 magazines and is accurate even with the cheap Russian ammo. Great little hog rifle.
I’ve owned 4 other Ruger American Rifles. All have been sub 1” guns, and most would shoot 1/2” 5 shot groups with handloads.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/14/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
If they offered them in 6.5G at the time, I would have bought that instead. I ended up with a Howa mini in 6.5G for a bit... loved the cartridge, but didn't like the rifle ergonomics at all, so I sold it off. Wound up with a Savage 99 in 250 Savage that fills that niche for me now, so I doubt I'll ever have another RAR.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,590
Posts18,473,439
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.