Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Get a High Power. I have a Browning and a FEG. They are my favorites. I bought the FEG just before the Springfield High Powers came out or I'd buy one.
I suggest a MKIII Browning. That would be my personal choice because they have better sights and are tougher. I would not hesitate on a Springfield. The problem with extraction seems to be an easy fix. When I got my FEG I removed the magazine safety and got a decent trigger and the magazines drop free. The Springfields don't have a mag safety.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BHP MKIII vote here. They have crap triggers but they feel good in the hand and they are a very good looking classic that can still get the job done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by RickBin
Belgium Hi-Power would be my vote ...

Yep. The jury is still out on the reliability availability of the new Springfield Hi-Power. Sounds like they still have some bugs to workout.

Fixed. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sig Sauer P239 is my choice of 9mm's, a P226 if you prefer a double stack's increased magazine capacity. I prefer a decocker over striker fired, tried a S & W M & P and a Sig Sauer P365 before making that choice.

Last edited by gunswizard; 08/15/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to think I'd like a CZ75/85 as a range or house gun. That was until I got to shoot one of these.....

https://arex.us/arex-alpha/

Of course, a HiPower is never a bad idea.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I haven't owned many nines but my favorite among them was a night sighted Beretta 92G Centurion.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My everyday carry gun has been a 10mm for the longest time. I carried a Glock 20, Glock 29 and a Dan Wesson CBOB. I didn’t care for a 9mm as I thought they weee just not up to the task. Then I saw a Wilson Combat EDC X9 and I thought it was perfect except it only came in 9mm. I read up on the new 9mm bullets and ammo and it seemed to be a good stopper with light recoil and ammo everywhere. I took a chance and bought one. I have carried it everyday since I got it. It handles and feels better than any other gun I have used. The magazines feed every thing flawlessly and the accuracy is superb. It is definitely worth the extra money. I would and do stake my life and the lives of my family with this gun
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well hell…can’t give ya non plastic advice! If you want to only spend $400 on one of these, you’ll have lots of money for ammo/reloading components, holsters, optics, etc. Single stack 9+1 capacity with extended mag, doesn’t feel kinda “blocky” like my G23 .40, and carries and shoots like a champ! But very “plasticky”. LOL. Good luck on your quest for your perfect 9.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m a big fan of the SIG auto pistol and have several in 9mm. I believe they have the best out of the box triggers available. Try a P226 on for size. Awesome!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Another vote for the Belgium Hi Power, maybe have Cylinder & Slide give it a tune up.

Dick

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RickBin
Belgium Hi-Power would be my vote ...

This

Pride of ownership is a good feeling to have.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
OK, I have way to much free time on my hands right now and i have been thinking I "need" a semi auto 9mm that is not plastic-got some glocks in the safe, but want to try something else. Been considering the CZ 75 or some variation of the CZ or a beretta 92 of some flavor. Really like the idea of the beretta M9 22lr to start then move up to a nicer model beretta. Glocks are fine, just bulky in my hands and again...plastic.

Anyway...I know the "get to the store and handle it before you buy it, shoot if you can before spending the cash" deal-

I am just wondering what YOUR favorite 9mm is for the spending the day at the gun range

lets say $1500 or less is the budget, unless of course the wilson combat EDC or something else is worth the extra $$...buy once cry once wink

yall have some fun with this please!!

Dave

"At the range"? CZ75 and don't look back. You'll be very hard pressed finding a pistol that shoots better.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pacecars
My everyday carry gun has been a 10mm for the longest time. I carried a Glock 20, Glock 29 and a Dan Wesson CBOB. I didn’t care for a 9mm as I thought they weee just not up to the task. Then I saw a Wilson Combat EDC X9 and I thought it was perfect except it only came in 9mm. I read up on the new 9mm bullets and ammo and it seemed to be a good stopper with light recoil and ammo everywhere. I took a chance and bought one. I have carried it everyday since I got it. It handles and feels better than any other gun I have used. The magazines feed every thing flawlessly and the accuracy is superb. It is definitely worth the extra money. I would and do stake my life and the lives of my family with this gun

The OP could buy 5 CZ's for the cost of that one. I'd bet money the CZ would shoot just as well too, and probably more reliable to boot..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The OP could buy 5 CZ's for the cost of that one. I'd bet money the CZ would shoot just as well too, and probably more reliable to boot..

Not sure about the more reliable part. Bill Wilson and others put in a lot of time designing the gun and magazine for reliability with the 9mm. Hell he could buy a boat load of HiPoints and although they feel like holding a 2x4 and are heavy as hell they do go bang when you pull the trigger. I have switched from quantity to quality. The CZs are good guns and one of the Colonel’s favorites.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't tried everything out there. And I'm curious about the CZ75 and it's variations.

But from my experience, if I limited myself to the 9mm cartridge, in a currently made non plastic pistol, I'd prefer the Sig 226.

But if I were going to use a 2 lb + pistol, I'd more likely go straight to the 1911a1, and it'd be in a .45. Think Dan Wesson. Or call crazy John and see what he's got, but that'd stretch your posted budget

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Kimber EMP?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Keep guessing……..

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got three Springfield 9mm 1911s that are nothing but fun to shoot. Range Officer, Garrison, and a little Ronin Commander-sized pistol. I have done nothing to them except swap out the piddling 9lb. recoil springs with 12-14lb. springs (Colt uses 14lb springs in their 9mm 1911s). Much more positive function.
Fun guns to shoot, ammo is cheap and more important, available. Their weight makes them very easy shooting.

I like HiPowers, too, and the CZs and Tanfoglios are great pistols, too, but I love my 1911s more.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're going to end up with a Glock. Just get one now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Springfield Armory EMP 4" is my favorite 9MM

That being said, I wouldn't mind a Browning Hi-Power 9mm to go with my EMP!

Once had a Hi-Power in 40 S&W. Sure wish I'da kept it!

Virgil B.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,524
Posts18,472,626
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.