Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I had one about 15 years ago, lovely dog that got so bad with seizures from Epilepsy I had to put him down, almost broke me in half, now enough time has passed and I'm semi- interested in getting another. Are there any good breeders in Or. and what is everyones opinion on this breed in general.

GB1

G
G
Lovely, beautiful breed. Smart, loves people, and can make an excellent gun dog.<P>The problem is they don't live long enough. I've seen too much cancer in them. The ones I've been associated with all died before their tenth birthday.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know of several breeders in Houston who have been holding out on breeding any more for three or four years to let the recessive traits work themselves out of breed.<P>One did recommend if you get one make sure you look at the blood lines as far back as possible and if they are even remotely close to related to skip the pup. She did say of a great breeder in England but you would be shelling out several thousand.<P>Overall I love them, but we just acquired two black labs, Tessa & Major, adn we are hoping that if not both at least one will be Marks new hunting buddy...

Don't be ashamed to say what you are not ashamed to think.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Brilliant, strong, beautiful, good at many things.<BR>Odiferous (smelly), shed machines, frequent genetic cesspools, master of none.<P>Goldens have exprienced mercurial rises in thier popularity over the past several decades. Just when they couldn't get any hotter, BOOM, new movie featuring a "swamp collie [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] " and a zillion more backyard breeders pop up. I've always noticed that their coats can be a real challenge, and I don't care what anyone tells you, "you can not shave them down". Simple as that. It is not how their coat was designed to function. It is tough to find a more intellegent breed, one that is better with family, or makes a cuter puppy (believe me, that sells them) but if there are rivals, they exist in the sporting breeds. I understand that many people who hunt their dogs also own them as pets, I'm one of them. And I'm not saying there are not good field goldens out there, there are. But you best keep your eyes peeled, be prepared to research and pay, and don't bring the kids "Daddy,daddy this one likes me" is usually said about the runt or the one that at eight weeks already looks like a bust.<BR>These are magnificient animals when done correctly, but I'm always leery of them for health and athletic reasons.<BR>O.K. golden owners......lemme have it!

To young to be this curmudgeonly.......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only owned one Golden in my time. They are great dogs and very smart. The problem I have is their long hair. Its so hot here in Texas and they burn up in the field. You can shave them down to look almost like a yellow lab but, they look kinda funny. Ours was a great dog, but his his hips went out at age 7. Personally I would rather hunt a Brown or Yellow lab, I just prefer the short hair, but the Goldens are awesum dogs.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've never hunted over a golden. in fact, there are very few where i live. i think that the reason they aren't hunted much up here is because of their long coats. anywhere you may find birds to hunt here, you will also find cockleburrs and other things that would make a mess of the coat.<P>when i bought my first dog, low maintenance was on my priority list, which ruled out all long haired dogs...

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
M
M
We have had our Golden for a little over a year now. We got him at 4 months. I have never gotten so attached to a dog. The pluses are, loving, loyal, great with people, stable temperment. The minuses, high matinence grooming, they take a long time to grow up, (up to 2 years or more), VERY orally fixated, like most retrievers they put EVERYTHING in their mouths. Goldens have one of the highest rates of emergency surgery to remove obstructions from things they swallow, or try to. If you get one it's very important to "Golden Proof" your house and yard, so it minimizes their chances to ingest anything they shouldn't. Goldens require a LOT of attention. They are not a dog that wants to be where your not. Mine goes everywhere with me, and I wouldn't have it any other way. He even sleeps in our bed, all 85 pounds of him! If I get up to go into another room, he's right behind me. If I reload, he will stay in the room with me for hours, laying right at my feet. As far as Cancer, my vet said it is mainly from a certain group of Goldens that come from Colorado, not all are Cancer prone as many think. All in all they are great dogs. The best day was when we got him, the worst will be the day we lose him. Hopefully that will be many years off. magnumman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,011
Posts18,500,232
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.