Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got a snubby 66 in really nice shape.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
I’m considering trying to get one of these, if possible in CA.

Does anyone have any other ideas on CC revolvers in 357/38? I may use it in bear country too.

I think a 2 1/2" 357 could do the job ballistically with the right ammo, but I'd look at three other things.

First, I'd make sure that concealed carry is legal where you plan to take it. Given how things are going in California, that could be up in the air sooner rather than later.

Second, ammunition. California requires lead-free ammo for hunting statewide. All-copper bullets need speed to do their best work, and a 2 1/2" barrel might not provide that. Also, it might be legal to use lead ammunition to stop a bear attack if you're camping, hiking, backpacking, etc., but it might not be legal to even possess lead ammunition (for whatever reason) while hunting, and hashing it out in court will be expensive.

Third, make sure that the gun itself is legal where you plan to take it. For example, the Washington regs state:
Big game, except cougar, may be hunted with handguns with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches per manufacturer's specification, and fire a minimum .24 caliber centerfire cartridge. The minimum for cougar is a .22 caliber centerfire handgun. Rimfire handguns are not legal for big game.

A modern handgun may be carried for personal protection. Modern handguns cannot be used to hunt big game except as described above.

I can see how a 2 1/2" 357 might be OK under the line about personal protection. But the regs also state:
DISPATCHING WOUNDED GAME
A hunter can only use a hunting method that meets the equipment requirements of his/her tag to dispatch wounded game.

To me, that says that a hunter using archery tackle or a muzzleloader cannot use a modern firearm to dispatch wounded game, which makes sense. But I also read it to say that you can only use a handgun to dispatch wounded game if it meets the definition in the first quote, which means a 4" barrel.

I prefer to avoid long philosophical discussions with law enforcement officers who I've just met, so I wouldn't carry anything less than a 4" 357 around here, and most of the time I choose a 4" Model 29-2 or a 5 1/2" New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt. But things may be different where you hunt.

Okie John

John Thanks for these comments.

I'm good with cutting edge and Lehigh copper handloaded ammo. Also, the CA regs only specify centerfire handguns for deer, bear and pig. The regs specify 4" handguns for elk and bighorns. I wont be using this revolver to hunt with, only for close in protection. If I was to hunt, I'd get a 41 mag.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

And I'm envious!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Mine is a 19 and a somewhat recent purchase.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by TheKid
Sure. I don’t know about getting one in CA but I do know it’d make a great dual purpose pistol. I carry a 2” M15 in town and when bow hunting, fishing, mushroom picking, or whatever else.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice gun and quarry.

What kind of loads do you take when going to town and what loads when outdoors? I always wondered about the adjustable sights on a 2"-revolver. At what distance did you sight it in?

Elmer Keith
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Does anyone have any other ideas on CC revolvers in 357/38? I may use it in bear country too.

Modell 66 looks like a good seven-shot .357/.38 revolver. They also have another model which is multi-caliber .357/.38 and 9mm Luger. My mid-frame is on track for being the best revolver I have ever owned. One odd thing I noticed when I bought it was the plate screws were timed w/o use of Locktite, ok. I would say the best but I only have about 500 rounds through it. If it holds up I will be able to confirm my previous statement. You can view all offerings at the Taurus website.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jericho
I saw a snub nose Model 29 for sale once. No thank you........

A real sweet package…..if you shoot “lighter” loaded 44 magnums! “Fire breathing” loads aren’t required for the majority of uses with that type of carry gun! JMO memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

The Ruger LCRx 3", 357 Mag, doesn't have the heft or classic good looks of the S&W revolvers. If you can get past that, it's a nice lightweight 357 with 3" barrel for decent ballistics. It's not a looker, but a decent tool to carry a lot, and shoot a little.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
One of my carry guns is a 3 inch M60 stainless. I only carry it on hikes into the back country, etc. I load 110 Barnes HP's at about 1000-1100 fps. for it. They are designed to open from a 2 inch at 900 fps.
I've run into six bear while doing this. All of them ran at the sight of me, including a sow with a cub. Another was at 15 ft. Not much of a threat.
Mackay's daughter works where there are much more serious bear threats. Kalifornia bears are all black bears.
Been carrying guns in rough places all of my life. Never needed one to deal with an animal. People are a different matter. E

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Those 2&1/2" barrel makes a .357 into a 38 SP velocity wise. I have one and they sure get snappy with full magnum loads. Mostly I carry a Ruger Security Six with a 4" barrel.In Colorado a .357 is not legal for big game.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

The Ruger LCRx 3", 357 Mag, doesn't have the heft or classic good looks of the S&W revolvers. If you can get past that, it's a nice lightweight 357 with 3" barrel for decent ballistics. It's not a looker, but a decent tool to carry a lot, and shoot a little.

One downside is cylinder capacity. Let us say fella wants to go where there are: rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths,.... After first two chambers loaded with birdshot only leaves you three for angry bruin guarding pile of meat!😱🤕

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (BALLISTIK, BamaJoe, Anaconda, 300_savage, Aero, 6 invisible), 1,211 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,141
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.