Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I tried to, if like Tigger, my top was made out of rubber, and my bottom was made out of spring, I'd done better. laugh

Or, if I'd have known what I was doing. blush

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No, but I had a horse break me.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I started breaking horses when I was twelve.

After marriage I kept five brood mares and a stud for many years. I sold off the colts with uncooperative personalities, and sold broke five year olds as we started riding younger stock.

I kept three kids in 4H ponies for about ten years.

The secret to a well trained horse is knowledge. One simply has to know, if that horse ever feels the need to buck, you have already seriously fugged up.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

After marriage I kept five brood mares and a stud for many years. I sold off the colts with uncooperative personalities, and sold broke five year olds as we started riding younger stock.

The secret to a well trained horse is knowledge. One simply has to know, if that horse ever feels the need to buck, you have already seriously fugged up.

And if you have fogged up, a corral with a center post and swivel ring, a 3 1/2 foot length of 2x4, a saddle, and a guy who knows what to do with those ingredients will make that horse a pleasure to ride.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever break a horse?

To ride or to plow?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have done quiet a few. Started on mules about 40years ago. Now that is lot more challenging. I have trained them as saddle mules, harness mules, and pack mules. Horses will kill you by accident.Mules will kill you on purpose if treated badly, so a fellow better know how to work with them. I don't have much use for horses, except a good mare to make mules with.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, ride and or drive. I had great teachers.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I started about like Idaho Shooter. Made money as a teenager putting a 30-day start on a halter-broke horse for $100.

I wouldn't call it 'breaking' a horse, but rather training a horse. A lot of trust is involved, and that has to be earned. I spend about the first 10 days doing ground work. A lot of saddling, bridling, letting the horse stand with that while grooming, picking up feet, sacking them out so they were accustomed to the saddle, bridle, touches, noises, etc, etc.

After about five days of that, I had a set of driving reins I would put on the bit (snaffle bit for starting out), and put the reins through the saddle stirrups and on back. I would drive the horse like that for two or three days so he has learned to commands and pressure, to start, stop, turn, back up.

So by day 10 or so, I'm mounting the horse for the first time. The horse is well in tune to the saddle, bridle, voice and rein cues, stopping, starting, turning. The only thing new is I'm on the horses back, instead of on the ground. I'd spend the next 20 days or so getting them smoothed up on turns, walking, trotting, galloping circles, figure-eights, lead-changes, trailering.

If I had two or three going at once in the summer it was good money. During school, I only had enough spare time for one at a time.

Most horses would hunch up a bit feeling the added weight. Most never bucked. I got bucked off now and then though.

I hit the ground a couple times when the horse flushed a pheasant out from under his feet, and the horse suddenly jumped sideways. A good horse would stop and wait when he gathered his senses, a knucklehead would run all the way back to the barn.

Good times.

Here's an old pic of me back in those days, around 1977, near Sidney MT with my gelding Rob. He was half QH, half Thoroughbred. Great horse, and buddy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I spent a summer in my youth helping a lady across the highway break several from a herd of Appaloosas she bought. Mostly just running them around the bullpen, but I did get some saddle time in. Good thing I was 16 and still bendable, trying that today would not end well.

I did have one take off on me. We were convinced this one stallion had been tamed and I was able to saddle him and lead him around by the reins easily. I stepped up onto his back and he took off like a bat out of hell. The corral was open at the time and he and I had a very fast tour of the pasture. Would love to have had a video camera to see the petrified look in my eyes as I held on for dear life. He stopped running after a half-mile or so and I was able to get off and walk him back. Good times and sore backsides.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
No, but I had a horse break me.

12 years old Friends horse reared up threw me off its back and stepped on my groin
My mom said it did not happen so I pulled my pants down in front of everyone and a nice red horse shoe print was on the right side of dangally thing and my hip.

Mom shut up.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
How do you fix one if he breaks????

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
How do you fix one if he breaks????

He-he-he!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Is there a real outlaw horse, sometimes?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Back in the 70's, I "adopted" a couple of mustangs from Nevada for a few dollars each. Young, dumb, and stupid at the time - thought it was a hella good deal.

Then tried to break them.

Those were mean bastards! Break them - yeah right. mad

Couldn't even eat them, too tough and stringy. Worthless animals, I say.

Moved on to fast cars and girls, never looked back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back in the day.

Young man's game.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I wasted much of my youth on bad horses and ugly women frown

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Lslite
I wasted much of my youth on bad horses and ugly women frown

At least ugly women are usually grateful for the attention.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Never broke any but have started many ...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Back in the 70's, I "adopted" a couple of mustangs from Nevada for a few dollars each. Young, dumb, and stupid at the time - thought it was a hella good deal.

Then tried to break them.

Those were mean bastards! Break them - yeah right. mad

Couldn't even eat them, too tough and stringy. Worthless animals, I say.

Moved on to fast cars and girls, never looked back.

Several of my friends and myself did the same thing back around 1980. Went to the adoption center in Cross Plains TN and brought back 4. My intention was to breed the mare I got to a QH stud and hopefully break her enough to at least handle her. Anyway, only one out of the four turned out to be breakable, and he looked like part draft horse, so he wasn't as hot blooded as the others were. Those mustangs were meaner than hell, and could kick quicker than anything I've ever seen. Waste of time and money.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

And if you have fogged up, a corral with a center post and swivel ring, a 3 1/2 foot length of 2x4, a saddle, and a guy who knows what to do with those ingredients will make that horse a pleasure to ride.

Osky

You ain't much of a horseman if you think that's what it takes to train a horse.

A round pen? yes.

You snub one of my horses to a center post, or approach it with a 2x4. You will leave my property at gunpoint.

I would not even treat a dog that way.

I want a horse that finds it a pleasure to do my bidding, rather than a horse scared [bleep] of pissing me off. Positive reinforcement works!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 69 invisible), 3,404 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,439
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.