Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
In your case it seems to be Taco vs Gladiator.
Sure wish I could recommend the Gladiator, but we're friends here.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I’m on vacation and the whole island is jeeps and tacomas. Almost all the Jeep’s are rentals for tourists (we’re in a wrangler unlimited sport) All the locals and all the construction etc.. is in tacomas. (US territory)

Im shopping to update my ‘03 Tacoma and settled on an extended cab long bed TRD off-road so I can have E-Locker and crawl mode. Love the crew cab I have now but hate the short bed and want to keep the short wheel base is why no crew w/longbed.

I bought my 16yo son a rubicon wrangler to scratch the Jeep itch but no way I’d take one over a Toyota.
My ‘03 has 170,000 and I change oil/air filter religiously and other than brakes, I changed plugs one time.

St Thomas ?

Yep. If you’ve drove around the island much you know the grades are steep as Fugk, up and down.
It’s fun as hell driving here, like running a jeep on a roller coaster track. Daughters running shotgun and acting as navigator with google maps and doing a helluva job.
Took it on the barge over to St.John today and was all over the national park hitting all the beaches doing some snorkeling.

I drove an old CJ7 on the mountain roads of St. John Vi for a few days in my younger years. Man I worked for had a big home on the east end of St. John and owned/developed/build the Mongoose Junction shopping areas on the island. That was when most of the road over the mountain to the east end was not paved and it was definitely a rough ride, and I owned a CJ7 at the time and was use to it's rough ride.

I will never own another Jeep or any Chrysler product, give me a Toyota any day.

Damn, that’s a cool experience. Parked in front of Mongoose Junction today to get some lunch, really cool sprawled out place. Construction over here is pretty wild, especially after the hurricanes in ‘17.
The local talent isn’t much, I’m assuming some of the real nice homes/buildings bring in outside workers.

Yep, when the boss, who was a developer and Architect, built his house on the east end he thought he was going to have to buy the old, abandoned, concrete plant to be able to get concrete for the house but was able to strike a good deal to have in barged over from St. Thomas. All the skilled labor was brought in from elsewhere for MJ. The carpenters that worked at the company in Roanoke spent over a year there coordinating the work. I remember Haitian women and children sitting in a big circle taking hammers and busting big rocks into little rocks to use as aggregate in the concrete mix. The skilled trades, plumbing, electrical HVAC etc. came mostly for St. Croix

Last edited by VaHunter; 08/18/22.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Some people swear by Vortex rifle scopes.

They work great when you use them twice a year.

I have to laugh at this because I agree 110% and they have high dealer profit margins

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reivertom
If you want the excitement of not knowing when you'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere, or when the dealership will get it fixed, get the Wrangler. The old grey mare ain't what she used to be, as they say.

That’s why you always see jeeps off roading in clubs or big groups. The Jeep wave was born of necessity, gotta know how to wave down a ride back to town.

So thats the “jeep wave”

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
32” tires on everything is my jammy. I don’t like taxing components
Same here, my ‘03 is running 235/85R16’s on a 2” Old Man Emu suspension just right. Handle anything I’ve been in off-road and doesn’t look like gravedigger.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You gotta pay high dollar for wheels like that now, thats just my joint !

https://fifteen52.com/products/analog-hd-asphalt-black?variant=15113773973570

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by reivertom
If you want the excitement of not knowing when you'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere, or when the dealership will get it fixed, get the Wrangler. The old grey mare ain't what she used to be, as they say.

That’s why you always see jeeps off roading in clubs or big groups. The Jeep wave was born of necessity, gotta know how to wave down a ride back to town.

So thats the “jeep wave”

LMFAO

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Same here, my ‘03 is running 235/85R16’s on a 2” Old Man Emu suspension just right. Handle anything I’ve been in off-road and doesn’t look like gravedigger.

fuggin A

>>>>>>>>>LIKE<<<<<<<<

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Y’all might think I’m still confused, God made some memories come back.

I don’t remember ever seeing 40 Afghans, Columbians, Panamanians, or Contras on a Jeep loaded down with ammo.

My decision is getting tilted.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/18/22.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Have a 17 Taco with 80K miles on it. No problems.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Taco all the way. If you don’t need a full size truck it’s the finest truck available. Currently we’re running three a 2011 2wd just over 100,000 miles only replaced tires, battery and front brake pads during that time. 2014 4wd 180,000 only replaced tires and battery, and a 2016 4wd 182,000 miles tires, battery, and front brake pads. The 4wd’s have seen hard use and no issues.

Jeeps are not the same quality as Toyotas.

Also had a 03 2wd 289,000 miles same thing replaced tires, battery and front brake pads.

Last edited by LBP; 08/18/22.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by tikkanut

fuggin A

>>>>>>>>>LIKE<<<<<<<<

+1 great truck!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I like my Tacoma. Thing freaking gets the job done
for the little chores I need to do.🤷🏻‍♂️

Nice truck. Put a nice icon lift on it, raised it 2ish in the front and 1.5 or so on the rear.

Not a bad truck. Kinda glad I didn’t get the forest green f-150 I wanted. Lol

Fu ck jeep btw. New or old won’t hold a candle to the old yodas ass period. Even the new stuff.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Toyota quality and dependability are so much better than the rest that there is no contest.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by tikkanut

fuggin A

>>>>>>>>>LIKE<<<<<<<<

+1 great truck!
X2 that’s just right IMO.

You can’t beat an Old Man Emu lift until you get into big dollars and serious upgrades. Axle upgrades ect. Way more money than most of us want to throw at a DD non extreme use off-road truck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had both. The Jeep was fun, but the Tacoma was unstoppable. My youngest daughter picked up a very nice looking 2017 Jeep less than a year ago. It’s been a money pit that she can’t get rid of.

Yes, Jeeps look cool, and have a lot of after-market parts available. But Toyotas are immensely more reliable, and have quite the aftermarket support. Take a look at overlanding. It will give you an idea of the popularity of Toyotas world wide for their aftermarket support and dependability.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tacos may have some advantage, including primarily fuel economy and comfort. But the Gladiator is tougher. My brother ignorantly drove his Tacoma at 0.3 mph over some landscaping bricks bordering his driveway, and it destroyed his front right suspension.

Much more extreme impacts would have done nothing to this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I love you man but the pics don’t impress. I do that every day and MUCH WORSE in a stock sierra. The thing about landscaping bricks is they probably move, the stuff I roll over with ifs doesn’t move.

One thing I find is most folk have no clue the capabilities of a stock 4x4

Most of my quest of the thread is about durability

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/18/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the well known Jeep week points has always been the axles. There’s a whole industry built around building up or swapping out the axles. Even with the “upgraded Dana 44.” I trashed both axles in a Rubicon in an on road accident when the Jeep went into a small ditch. No other damage. It’s the only vehicle that I’ve ever bent an axle on let alone both.

Climbing up that flat rock looks cool but literally a Prius can do that assuming that it didn’t highpoint. There isn’t much to driving over frozen solid ground with a smattering of snow either.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just read an article that said jeep was going to IFS probably

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it depends on the level of extreme you’re gonna 4-wheel.

The Gladiator is ringing the bell on a 10 scale for Ghayness with that pitiful angle of departure.

I’d go Tacoma

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.