Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The older you get, the harder it is to lose, and the easier it comes back. Now it takes me a month of dieting to move the scales, after the initial drop from having less food in the system. And exercise seems to have less impact. But with consistent diet and exercise after a few months I drop some weight. No way I could drop 40 in 60. Right now I've been running about a month. I am able to go further with slight improvements in pace, but seems not to be dropping the scale as fast as I would like. Signed up for a 10 miler in a little over a month and will need to drop 20# to about 230 to finish with respectability.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SimonKenton

"Alcohol is simple carbs and sugar. It turns straight to fat. Beer is the worst."

Actually alcohol is a compound which cannot be converted to fat in the body. It is readily available as fuel and used in preference to body fat. Other sugars in the bottle either unfermented or added can be turned to fat.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
For y'all boys on the Keto diet. I see that it is a great way to lose weight. But there is little, if any fiber in meat and fat. Fiber, such as found in black beans, and fruit, is essential for keeping the colon clean and preventing colon cancer. A few years of the Keto diet, you may be skinny but you might have colon cancer.

"Digestive System Cancer Risk: This is one of my chief concerns regarding the ketogenic diet. The evidence is quite strong as to what dietary patterns are associated with increased risk of developing digestive system cancers – including and especially colon cancer – and what patterns are protective against them. The ketogenic diet is a textbook example of a high-cancer-risk dietary pattern: very high in animal fat in general and red meat in particular, and very low in fiber-rich fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains. Colon cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths among Americans."

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Had my annual check-up yesterday.
Down almost #20 since I was at the Gastro doc in late April or early May.

#230 and falling by simply thinking about what and why before eating.

Still not off of the white bread completely but that is mainly due to having homegrown maters...... grin

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17341409/its-time#Post17341409

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a buddy lose a lot of weight fast on keto 3 years ago. Was looking good. Then dropped dead of a heart attack at age 37 two weeks after his wedding.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by readonly
I had a buddy lose a lot of weight fast on keto 3 years ago. Was looking good. Then dropped dead of a heart attack at age 37 two weeks after his wedding.

A highly regarded cardiologist once told me that coronary issues are extremely genetic.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried keto for a month. Just really didn't like the strange way it made me feel. I went to lower carb, no processed foods and feel great. Weight doesn't come off as fast but still comes off at a good rate. I feel much better though.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, and good going Blu C. Whatever works for you, keep it up. Just please don't join the IRS or another alphabet agency!

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Figured I would finally weigh in here.

My son has wrestled for well over 12 years, so we have learned a lot about exercise and weight loss.

One of the things that I learned that really stuck with me, was when Cory Kolat was quoted as telling his wrestlers they had to eat to lose weight.

We have learned that to really lose weight, you obviously have to be in a calorie deficit. That's pretty profound, huh? But doing this by starving yourself is counterproductive. Your body will go into starvation mode and do all it can to not shed weight.

Short of it is, you have to eat a fair amount along with working out a lot in order to lose a lot. Figure out what you need to be as far as a calorie deficit goes. Say you do the math and decide 1500 calories a day is what you need to lose what you need. You need to eat throughout the day, 5-6 small meals of 250 - 300 calories all while working out. In short, your body is receiving calories regularly throughout the day so you avoid going into starvation mode where the body will slow down your metabolism.

That is the biggest thing. Eat many small meals regularly and work out religiously.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tarkio; 08/23/22.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A lot have suggested different diets, keto, lo-carb.... Different things work for different people. You are going to have to figure out what works for you in that regard. To do what you are doing, I would think you would need to keep some carbs in your diet in order to have the energy to work out the way you will need.

I will say this, drink 1.5 gallons of water a day (for wrestlers they say a gallon). You are big enough you should easily be doing a gallon right away and then work up to 1.5 gallons per day. It is boring and mundane. But it will help tremendously. First, a well-hydrated body is much less susceptible to injury. It will make you feel fuller and easier to get by, not over-indulging. And if you are well hydrated and get down close to your desired weight, you can then make a water weight cut at the end and probably drop 6-8 pounds in just water the last few days. Meaning you really only need to drop 32 pounds. The last 8 you drop by cutting water weight. Guy your size should be able to make a final cut of 6-8 pounds. Even cutting 10, I think is doable for you. You need time to recover if you do cut very much at the end though. So if you have to perform a physical endurance test of some sort, cutting much over 5 pounds, you will definitely feel and could impact your performance. If you have a day between weigh in and performance, you would be good.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by readonly

Covid shot!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Good old fashion half starvation, vegetables, mixed canned or steamed, fruits, oatmeal, water and plenty of exercise, walking, jogging, running and weight lifting. No other way my friend,
I got it done this way, lost 60 lbs.

Last edited by duke61; 08/24/22.
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by duke61
Good old fashion half starvation, vegetables, mixed canned or steamed, fruits, oatmeal, water and plenty of exercise, walking, jogging, running and weight lifting. No other way my friend,

You did it the hard way. Should be painless and easy.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

no protein?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Bicycling can be a very good calorie burning exercise that is generally gentle on the joints. This calculator can give an estimate of calories burned. I burned about 2500 calories on my ride yesterday.

https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/

I would rather burn calories and get a cardio workout by screwing. I must be riding my bike all wrong.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blu ... I know I posted about fasting earlier in this thread but here's an update.

Sitting here at the Dr's office right now getting a checkup ... have lost exactly 40 pounds since I retired over 4th of July weekend up in Michigan. I started this diet on the 21st of July.

Use the Fasting Tracker app. Once I got past the first week doing 10/14s it's been easy. I'm doing 4 hr eating periods and 20 hour fasting now but I know I can do 48 hrs fasting no problem.

Drink plenty of water and herbal tea.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Well I'm doing the following:

Keto diet. Strict. Zero sugars, not even fruit. Zero alcohol. Zero carbs. Zero processed food (well, except the splash of hot sauce!). Liquids: Water, coffee and sparkling water like LaCroix. One a day type vitamins.

Intermittent fasting. 20 hours fast and 4 hours feeding window. One meal, plus a little snack (like a salad or small piece of cheese).

Exercise: Walk an hour, or bicycle about 45 minutes (mountain bike). Then push ups, sit ups as many as I can: These two are a metric I will be tested on.

Its been about a week, and I can't tell if I've lost any weight yet. Need to get a decent scale to start measuring daily. Figure I'll lose the weight whether or not I weigh myself.

Funny thing I now don't feel very hungry at all even 18-20 hours into the fast period, so something is working. Previously I was hungry at "meal times", and snacked between meals.

This has been quite an education, thanks everyone for their tips. I'll report when I have some results to show.

This is exactly what I have done. I am on the verge of being carnivore. It is not a diet anymore in the sense of going on a "diet", it is a lifestyle. There is nothing that I miss from my old way of eating. Other than losing over 30 pounds that best thing is my joints feel so much better. People do not realize how much fluid they carry in their joints caused by piss poor eating habits.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried zero carbs keto a couple of years ago .... it sucked, liked to have killed me. I felt like a walking zombie.

This intermittent fasting has really worked, it's amazing.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
No protein boys, as I said near starvation but I did had a Walker coonhound named Belle, she helped me in my running, she ran like the wind and I tried to keep up with her, that was many years ago, I sure miss that girl.

Last edited by duke61; 08/24/22.
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
No protein boys, as I said near starvation but I did had a Walker coonhound named Belle, she helped me in my running, she ran like the wind and I tried to keep up with her, that was many years ago, I sure miss that girl.

You probably lost a lot of muscle tissue. You can lose fat weight with damaging your body.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,517
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.