Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I found a landowner tag for a ranch in Deaf Smith county near the New Mexico line. I’m excited to go. I haven’t hunted a pronghorn buck since 2005. The landowner I got the tag from said there are some great goats on the ranch, I’m going to find out.

Anyone else hunting Texas antelope this year?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not this year, but MANY years ago I got a land owners tag near Vega, TX.

My first (and only) pronghorn.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’ve taken one Texas pronghorn before in 2004 near Marfa, this will be my second Texas goat.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Congrats LBP!!!!

Was out around Marfa last June. Saw a really nice goat on Ft. Davis hwy.

Good luck on your hunt!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks Woodie

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hope you get a nice one!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now comes the hard part: You are required to get 24hourcampfire approval for the weapon, cartridge and bullet that you plan to use!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
Now comes the hard part: You are required to get 24hourcampfire approval for the weapon, cartridge and bullet that you plan to use!!

.338 Lapua is the minimum rifle for those 400 yard shots! Good luck with your hunt. I’ve killed nice ones in that area before.

Texas bred and born
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hancock27

Killed my first TX Speed Goat around there too.
Also hunted and had great success many times just across the NM state line in the Nara Visa area.
Great antelope country all through that area, including Deaf Smith county too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by brush_buster
Originally Posted by southtexas

.338 Lapua is the minimum rifle for those 400 yard shots! Good luck with your hunt. I’ve killed nice ones in that area before.

6mm Remington and a .264 Win Mag both worked just fine for me. As also the .556 or .223 Remington did too.
Antelope aren’t hard to kill.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/24/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Waiting on the second draw for Rita Blanca. Anyone ever hunted that area through the draw system ?

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’ve killed lots of antelope before, this is just my second Texas goat.

Let’s see I’ve used 6.5x55, 308, 243, 260, 250 Savage, 22-250, 25-06, 270, 280 and .223. Longest shot yet was 309 yards. I’d say my average shot has probably been, 200 yards.

For this hunt I’m taking a Rifles Inc Strata in .223. I’m shooting 75 gr Speer Gold Dots at 2925 fps, I’m getting 1/2”-5/8” groups. I just got the rifle built and this will be my first hunt with it.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lslite
Waiting on the second draw for Rita Blanca. Anyone ever hunted that area through the draw system ?
I’ve varmint hunted there but not antelope. I did see a ton of goats though.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most guys that I know that have taken Pronghorn, have used 243s, all in WY

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
300wsm for all my pronghorn and the spouse's too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I killed my one and only pronghorn near Marfa back about 2004. It scored 78-2/8 if I remember correctly. They were rutting hard and I saw more bucks than I could shake a stick at. I watch two bucks fighting through a goat fence. We found my buck shortly before noon and the 7MM SAUM finished the job.

I could see the Border Patrol checkpoint from where I shot him.

Last edited by DubThomas; 08/25/22.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot pronghorn in Texas and New Mexico. 220 Swift and 25-06 do the job very well.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve heard many people describe the meat off an Antelope as awful. I personally think it’s better then deer, and possibly even better then elk, tho I would Take either, and thankful for it. Antelope hunting here in WY is my favorite hunt. Good luck.
Buck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pronghorn meat makes good chili because it does not have a strong flavor and can easily be seasoned to the desired taste.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Buck52
I’ve heard many people describe the meat off an Antelope as awful. I personally think it’s better then deer, and possibly even better then elk, tho I would Take either, and thankful for it. Antelope hunting here in WY is my favorite hunt. Good luck.
Buck

I agree I love pronghorn meat, I’ve never had a bad one.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
As a simple Arkie who has only hunted deer, ducks, and smaller critters around my home state, I’ve always wanted to go on an antelope hunt. How does a fellow go about getting set up to go on a Texas pronghorn hunt?

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac007
As a simple Arkie who has only hunted deer, ducks, and smaller critters around my home state, I’ve always wanted to go on an antelope hunt. How does a fellow go about getting set up to go on a Texas pronghorn hunt?
The easiest way is finding a landowner permit and that’s not necessary easy lol, but it’s doable.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by LBP
The easiest way is finding a landowner permit and that’s not necessary easy lol, but it’s doable.

Thanks for the tip. Do these landowner permits get issued through the Texas Game and Fish? I guess they are drawn out in the summer through a lottery system?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pronghorn meat is very good. You just have to get it on ice quickly.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by LBP

Thanks for the tip. Do these landowner permits get issued through the Texas Game and Fish? I guess they are drawn out in the summer through a lottery system?

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by LBP

Your best bet is to google pronghorn huts in the states you would hunt in. Then ask for references and choose one. I am going to CO in early Oct. Two man hunt with guide, lodging and meals a little over $8,000, we will have to buy a non res hunting license when we get there the outfitter provided the landowner antelope tags.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be heading over to Dalhart TX in October for the 3rd time. Booked through Jeremy of Sagebrush hunts who is a member here. The bucks I have taken in the past were some of the best eating game we have ever had.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP

No Sir, landowners get permits based upon how much land they own and the annual antelope census done by Texas Parks and Wildlife. The landowners can use the permits, sell them, whatever they decide to do with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I'll be heading over to Dalhart TX in October for the 3rd time. Booked through Jeremy of Sagebrush hunts who is a member here. The bucks I have taken in the past were some of the best eating game we have ever had.

A few years ago I deer hunted just North of Dalhart, Rita Blanca on the Oklahoma side. You couldn't hardly see a deer through the clouds of dust kicked up by herds of antelope. They were thicker than ticks. smile

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by skeen

A few years ago I deer hunted just North of Dalhart, Rita Blanca on the Oklahoma side. You couldn't hardly see a deer through the clouds of dust kicked up by herds of antelope. They were thicker than ticks. smile
How was the deer hunting? I’ve heard of people hunting deer there I’ve just not seen many personally.

Last edited by LBP; 08/27/22.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Got lucky and found two more permits, looks like my oldest son and daughter-in-law are going goat hunting too. Now if I could just find one more for my youngest son everyone would get to hunt. I’m gonna keep looking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP

How was the deer hunting? I’ve heard of people hunting deer there I’ve just not seen many personally.

Hey, man, sorry, just saw this. I saw enough deer to keep it interesting (quite a few mule deer does), but not enough to keep me there. Seriously, I couldn't glass in any direction, at any time, without seeing antelope.

After 2.5 days I packed up and moved further east to Optima. Saw lot of deer there, passed up a number of smallish whitetail bucks but never saw one I wanted to shoot.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
No worries Skeen, was all of the area you hunted public land?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP

Yes, but, it's quite a patchwork of federal and private lands. Really nice to have onX, some other app, or a good map to navigate it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by LBP
I found a landowner tag for a ranch in Deaf Smith county near the New Mexico line. I’m excited to go. I haven’t hunted a pronghorn buck since 2005. The landowner I got the tag from said there are some great goats on the ranch, I’m going to find out.

Anyone else hunting Texas antelope this year?

My dad owned a section just south of there a couple of miles from the state line for a while. The state would offer some landowner tags every two or three years. I kept meaning to get one of the tags, but never did before he sold that place. My dad didn't seem to like them when he owned that place. Evidently antelope love bindweed and would poop the seeds out into his wheat pasture.

Every once in awhile, someone will see an elk or a black bear in that country coming off the caprock to the west of there in New Mexico. When it happens, that gives the farmers at the coffee shop something to talk about for a few months.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP

Yes, but, it's quite a patchwork of federal and private lands. Really nice to have onX, some other app, or a good map to navigate it.
Thanks, I might give deer a try too.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Last year. Far north Texas. Land owner tag and hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM

Nice one Ed!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
That’s a great buck!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good looking Buck!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ed, next time out you can use the BSA 270...it'll be there shortly :-)

The 3 I've taken were with a 257 Wby...NM, WY, MT.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EdM

That's a good one Ed. Nice length, good high cutters, you did good.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice buck. Congratulations. My cousin is headed to Wyoming in about a week for his first Antelope hunt.

Last edited by roverboy; 09/06/22.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does Texas have preference points that you must earn?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
mine is a little weak in the prong department....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
mine is a little weak in the prong department....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Hate to piss him off.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by roverboy
Does Texas have preference points that you must earn?
No Sir.

Last edited by LBP; 09/06/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, my cousin had to earn preference points that took 3 years.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes Sir. Texas and New Mexico have guaranteed land owner tags, all you have to do is find one.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The public draw does issue preference points.I'm in for 12 and just received my notice of non selection.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Hancock27

Theres a wheat field halfway between Vega and Adrian on the north side of I40 that has a herd of pronghorn in it RIGHT now. They've been in that small chunk of dirt for atleast 15 years and have never once moved.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lslite
The public draw does issue preference points.I'm in for 12 and just received my notice of non selection.
I didn’t know that, thanks for the information.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hunted Pronghorn on the XIT ranch a few years ago. It was fun. Much prefer Axis whacking.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’ll be real close to the xit. We ended up finding three landowner tags all on different ranches in different countries. I’ll be hunting with my oldest son, and daughter in law. This will be her first pronghorn. She’s also 16 weeks pregnant so my second grandchild will be there 😂. We’re all looking forward to the hunts.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by LBP
I’ll be real close to the xit. We ended up finding three landowner tags all on different ranches in different countries. I’ll be hunting with my oldest son, and daughter in law. This will be her first pronghorn. She’s also 16 weeks pregnant so my second grandchild will be there 😂. We’re all looking forward to the hunts.

We actually exited the XIT for my hunt. Don’t know where we were specifically. But, it was not on the ranch.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’m looking forward to the hunt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,098 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.