-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did he tell you how much skunk cover scent to use to cover the scent of a 200 pound man and all his gear?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Cover Scents for coyotes? Rich Higgins is a believer. You're lucky if you can slow down a coyote for an extra second with a cover scent. Skunk scent would never be a first choice for coyotes though.

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/predator-hunting/varmint/scent-confusion-and-better-coyote-hunting

I've called a few into shotgun range but I won't carry scents in the truck. They're more trouble than they're worth unless you are a photographer or videographer. One accident makes for a hell of cleanup job. I put this pic together for anyone who wonders what a "few" coyotes looks like. There are no repeats. No scents used.

[Linked Image]

Kentucky is a tough state. Coyotes are half red wolf genes. A big one is 58 pounds. A monster here in the west is 38 pounds. Al Prather on the Foxpro field staff is a successful Kentucky rifleman, and if Possum Al is still kicking, he'd be a great source of info on KY coyotes. He'll talk your arm off...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A couple of things to think about to make sure your research works, and then you understand why or why not you have success…

Beyond being responsible with the dead critters, and safety..

1). Region / location / environment
Hunting predators is different depending on what part of the country you are in, and what type of cover you are in, how big the fields are, how close you are to any population, how often the place is frequented by people, and what type of access you have to sneak in.

So try to find a set of video’s/ books that match your environment.

I learned that the hard way with hunting & fishing because I was military and traveled and what works in one area doesn’t in another…

2) Hunting pressure / Other hunters
Have a big impact on how critters react - they get educated fast so if you on private ground, or even public where no one goes your success rate is going to jump up. In the opposite direction - if some yahoo’s educate and or do a half effort then every coyote get educated fast…. And your success rate is going to drop hard.

3). Watch for areas of overpopulation and ask for permission
Predator populations swing up and down over time, and in some areas they will be way over populated and Start really tearing into turkey and deer populations (even hunters will let you on their place to chase them)… so ask you local wild life guys where there are too many coyotes.

I self taught like it sounds you are going after it…

The ability to “sneak in” undetected is HUGE… and this is an understatement, Scent control, and then concealment is next…
Finally calling skills / and how well you see game (some people are just lazy)… followed by marksmen ship…. And of course the amount of drive you have…

Watch yote tracks & listen to them howl at night / morning so you get an idea of where they hang out and there travel corridors are..

Have fun & be safe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gary_in_CA
Cover Scents for coyotes? Rich Higgins is a believer. You're lucky if you can slow down a coyote for an extra second with a cover scent. Skunk scent would never be a first choice for coyotes though.

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/predator-hunting/varmint/scent-confusion-and-better-coyote-hunting

I've called a few into shotgun range but I won't carry scents in the truck. They're more trouble than they're worth unless you are a photographer or videographer. One accident makes for a hell of cleanup job. I put this pic together for anyone who wonders what a "few" coyotes looks like. There are no repeats. No scents used.

[Linked Image]

Kentucky is a tough state. Coyotes are half red wolf genes. A big one is 58 pounds. A monster here in the west is 38 pounds. Al Prather on the Foxpro field staff is a successful Kentucky rifleman, and if Possum Al is still kicking, he'd be a great source of info on KY coyotes. He'll talk your arm off...

I'm guessing you are the Gary mentioned in the article? Rich Higgens practices something called "misting" and that is different from cover scent. The value of that tactic is debated by experienced coyote hunters and has been for years. It is also very dependent upon topography and cover. In Rich's neck of the woods he finds value in it. In my area I would probably get busted moving around squirting rabbit piss when I should have been sitting still watching for the coyote.

Last edited by MOGC; 08/19/22.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Rich would soak his boots in beer and cover them with cake frosting and coconut sprinkles if he thought it would call more coyotes. He also uses a lot more than rabbit urine is his magic mist, but that's Rich's story to tell.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You the same Gary that got bit on the arm by a coyote?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
That coyote tried to bite my face off. I was lucky I killed it anyway, took it to County Health, and didn't have to have rabies shots. Did you see the pictures of my arm? or the coyote?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Your arm I think, it’s been awhile but I think about it when a coyote comes in from a bad side and gets a little too close. Crazy.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Anyone who missed the whole story, a coyote came in hot, behind me, over my left shoulder, while I was standing up in the shade of a Joshua tree. In a blurry split second, it leaped through the air, mouth wide open, headed straight at my face. At the last second I threw up my left arm and the coyote bit down on my tricep. It threw me forward and then lost its grip, grooved my arm, and fell on the ground in front of me. I had the shotgun in my right hand, threw it up, and dumped both barrels of 3 1/2" 0000 buckshot into the dog from hell. I still see it perfectly every time I think about it.

Minaska caller playing Wildlife Tech's distressed lamb. I'll never forget.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Minaska caller playing Wildlife Tech's distressed lamb. I'll never forget.

WOW! I'll bet you never forget that one, lol.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.