Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I noticed the comment on the 175 gr. Winchester round. It does gripe me that Big W dropped that loading. I always thought their bullet with that "big blue nose" would be a better killer than Federal's 175 bullet. Both in round nose of course. Never did get a chance to find out as I never could find any to buy when I was looking.
PJ

Last edited by PJGunner; 08/26/22.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the first few hunts with the 7x57, those old Win loads with the 175 gr RN were all I could get - and were deadly on deer/elk. But, once started reloading and testing loads, I found that weight/shape bullet to be quite less than optimal for overall performance. Eventually figured out that, in my 7x57s, the bullets designed for hunting and weighing it at or near 140 gr, were optimal. YMMV.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I noticed the comment on the 175 gr. Winchester round. It dies gripe me that Big W dropped that loading. I always thought their bullet with that "big blue nose" would be a better killer than Federal's 175 bullet. Both in round nose of course. Never did get a chance to find out as I never could find any to buy when I was looking.
PJ

Interesting that you say this. When I got my FN 24/30, the "common knowledge" around the Upper Connecticut River Valley was that the "big blue nose" Winchester 175 grains openned up more quickly than either the Federals or Remingtons with the smaller amount of exposed lead. The 139 grain CIL ammo that I occasionally got to shoot openned up very quickly and would disintegrate inside of a whitetail, no through and through penetration and just bits and pieces of bullet at the bottom of the pool of blood from the disintegrated lungs.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
That might be why the old Ingwe Special shot 175s as well as it did. It certainly shoots 158 Prvi Groms into a tight cluster.
Just to be clear, you purchased Ingwe and Mule Deer's 7x57?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Guilty.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
If all goes as planned , I will be the fourth generation to take a particular 7 x 57 up the mountain for a bighorn ram in 2023.

While my own capabilities may be in question, neither the rifle’s, nor that of the cartridge, will be.

Stay tuned for the write-up. 😎

FC

FC, great tradition going on there, I will be all ears.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Correct. The standard twist in European rifles is 1:220mm (1:866 inches). In the US the twist is generally 1:9.5 inches, although occasionally something a little faster is used. I believe the M70 XTR was 1:8.5 or something along those lines. I'd have to measure one to see. John (MD) can speak to the twist on the Serengeti, but I'm pretty sure it is either 1:9 or 1:9.5. I ought to measure it sometime just to be sure.

While you are at, bump the mouth of a case and invert a bullet, chamber, measure the exposed bullet and advise. I collect those measurements. Thanks in advance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You all are wonderfully terrible influences as were the gun writers mentioned along the way.

Just bought my first 7x57 tonight - from a fellow ‘Fire member. Lots of rifles are neatly organized in my rifle closet - this one is perhaps the most anticipated in a very long while.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
While you are at, bump the mouth of a case and invert a bullet, chamber, measure the exposed bullet and advise. I collect those measurements. Thanks in advance.

The next time I'm using comparator to measure base to ogive I'll check throat length as well on both of those rifles. I know that my newer M70s, as well as my Montana ASR, have throats just shy of .25 inches.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I noticed the comment on the 175 gr. Winchester round. It dies gripe me that Big W dropped that loading. I always thought their bullet with that "big blue nose" would be a better killer than Federal's 175 bullet. Both in round nose of course. Never did get a chance to find out as I never could find any to buy when I was looking.
PJ

I know that three-shot groups mean nothing, but this is pretty standard from my M1909 Argentine, 24 inch barrel of unknown make, bedded in an old B&C Carbelite stock. The bullets were pulled bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading, 175-grain Interlocks. The load is:

Case: Prvi
Primer: WLR
Powder: 43.5 gr. IMR4350
CBTO: 2.635"
Vel: about 2500 (never chronographed it)

It blows through pigs and leaves an exit wound about the size of a silver dollar (if you remember what they look like). Unfortunately I'm running low on that bullet and only the Good Lord knows when RMR will ever get caught up to the point of having any more for sale. So what I will probably do is work up a load using something in the 160-grain class. I have a bunch of Partitions, Grand Slams, Hot Cors, and four or five boxes of the old Speer Deep Curls (which, by the way, in the 175-grain version shoot really well in my Zastava). JB seems to like 160-grain bullets, and JOC said it was all his wife ever used in her 7x57, and in my mind those are pretty good endorsements.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
270 is superior at least for logistics in N. America. That means a lot to some.

Gun loonies like the 7x57. It offers nothing over the 270, except a bit more cool and a few minor ammo hassles.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Correction: a lot more cool!

The way life should be.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been wondering why the 8x57 came about?

Why the 7x57 wasn’t used in WW2? Or was it?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Great article. Reminiscing,,, 50 years ago, this year, I killed my first deer here on the ranch where I now live with an old Spanish Ovideo M1916 “sporter" in 7x 57. Sporting a weaver K4 I received for Christmas the year before. Shooting Norma factory 150 grain ammo. $4.50 a box from Gibsons discount store!

I still have the rifle!

In 1969 I was 14 and traded a wore out Remington pump 22 and $11 for a 1893 (M93) Ovideo mauser in 7x57 sporterized by Century Arms. Then bought a 50 rd box fmj spitzers that had berdan priming. By the time that surplus ammo was gone I bought 2 boxes of Remington 175 gr rn loads.At that point a RCBS JR. Press and dies which were followed in by everything else to cover the very basics of reloading cf ammo. I had the rifle drilled and tapped for weaver bases, bolt handle modified, Dayton Traister low swing safety installed and all polished with it reblued. That winter of 70 found me fitting the barreled action to an ECBishop 80% sporter blank ,glass bedding it and finishing with G66 linspeed oil.
I worked up my 1st loads with imr 4350 and 139 gr Hornady spire points then backed off a little and subbed in 140 npt's. They shot good 5 in 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" pretty regular. It took 2-3years to draw a tag for deer back then. Finally drawing a Clay Co. Any deer tag in 1972. 50 years ago this fall. I have a whitetail any deer tag for the west half of Sully Co for this fall I am betting I can shoot another whitetail buck with it again.50 years later. You know I still have some of the red box federal brass I bought from Gibson's in Yankton ,SD back then I am sure it will still work...mb
JOC influenced my early years also.

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 08/26/22.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I have been wondering why the 8x57 came about?

Why the 7x57 wasn’t used in WW2? Or was it?

7.92x57 came first, by about 4 years. Nations using the 7mm were largely neutral in the World Wars.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So the 8x57 is pre 7x57?

And when did the 8 x 57 become a larger diameter?

Thanks

Last edited by Angus1895; 08/26/22.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, 8x57 came first. The original version of the cartridge, the Patrone 88/8x57I (the I stood for Infantry), appeared in 1888. The final version with .323" diameter bullets, the "S" diameter, appeared in 1905, when the bullet was also changed from a 225-grain roundnose to a 154-grain spitzer. The chamber throat was also shortened to better accommodate the lighter, sleeker bullet. (The next year the U.S. military changed the standard 1903 Springfield's load from a roundnose 220-grain to a 150-grain spitzer. The chamber throat was also similarly shortened.)

However, some commercial 8x57s retained the .318 bullet/groove diameter after 1905, notably break-action guns chambered for the 8x57 rimmed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ballistic wise how does the modern 8x57 compare to a modern 7x57 ?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
PJ

I know that three-shot groups mean nothing, but this is pretty standard from my M1909 Argentine, 24 inch barrel of unknown make, bedded in an old B&C Carbelite stock. The bullets were pulled bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading, 175-grain Interlocks. The load is:

Case: Prvi
Primer: WLR
Powder: 43.5 gr. IMR4350
CBTO: 2.635"
Vel: about 2500 (never chronographed it)

It blows through pigs and leaves an exit wound about the size of a silver dollar (if you remember what they look like). Unfortunately I'm running low on that bullet and only the Good Lord knows when RMR will ever get caught up to the point of having any more for sale. So what I will probably do is work up a load using something in the 160-grain class. I have a bunch of Partitions, Grand Slams, Hot Cors, and four or five boxes of the old Speer Deep Curls (which, by the way, in the 175-grain version shoot really well in my Zastava). JB seems to like 160-grain bullets, and JOC said it was all his wife ever used in her 7x57, and in my mind those are pretty good endorsements.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I hear you. The only animal I shot with the federal 175 gr. round nose was lost; found the next day after what the coyotes left. Wasn't much. Years later later I chronographed that load and it gave velocity well under what was advertised. I figure that bullet just zipped thought the deer and never opened up. I shot the deer right about 8 in the morning and the wife and I looked for that deer until the sun went down.

One 160 gr. bullets, I believe JOC also was quite fond of them. I do have a load using the 150 gr, Nosler Partition that shoots very nicely at 2800+ FPS from my M70 FWT and Ruger #1. The custom Mauser I had built has problems with hot loads. It hates them. I think that I have figured out what went wrong. I got the rifle, a commercial FN Mauser chambered to the .270. For some reason I quit shooting it very early on and just set it aside until it came time for the custom build. With factory level loads it shot OK but when they were getting into the warmish side that when thing went to hell. Got to thinking about it the other day and I'm thinking there is set back in the slots for the locking lugs and when the loads reach a certain level, the gun locks up tighter than a tick on a hound dpg. It take quite a bit of force to get the bolt open. What happened was as I was thinking on this, it came to me why I'd put the rifle aside. I was hunting deer close to home and got a shot at a deer. Missed and when I went to chamber a round I could not open the bolt. It had locked up with a factory load. Guess I'll take it to my gunsmith and see what he says but methinks a new receiver is what it will take to fix the problem. I hate to sacrifice one of my rifles to get another receiver for the gun. I have FN rifles in .270 and 30-06 so it can be done. I got that bad .270 as part of a trade. Too bad that brother in law is long time dead. I'd love to have a little discussion with him about the the rifle.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Ballistic wise how does the modern 8x57 compare to a modern 7x57 ?
Comparison about what one would expect with the same case volume/powder charge driving a .311 diameter slug instead of a .284. Not much difference if bullet weight is the same.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,471
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.