Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
As I understand it, crypto is treated like an asset disposition for income tax purposes when you use it to buy something or to pay a debt, unlike using money. So, it seems like an accounting nightmare to use it for minor transactions.

Bitcoin does have numerous ATM’s scattered around the country.

All transactions are Blockchain so everything is visible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Houston_2
As I understand it, crypto is treated like an asset disposition for income tax purposes when you use it to buy something or to pay a debt, unlike using money. So, it seems like an accounting nightmare to use it for minor transactions.

OK. But as I understand it, each transaction for which you use it to acquire something or to pay something can result in a loss or a taxable gain depending on how much you paid for the crypto you are using for that transaction. So, you have to be able to account for it all at the end of each tax year. If somebody buys a $100,000 car with crypto for which they paid $1,000, they have to recognize the $99,000 capital gain and pay income tax on it. It's like selling stock to buy the car. Figuring that out for a bunch of trivial transactions has got to be a real pain. I don't see how being visible on the blockchain makes the accounting easier. But, I am not an expert on that. I know that we have some of those here.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Can you repeat that so I can write it down and send to my financial advisor ol toot? You mind is amazing. I guess the deadly Covid made an expert in all fields now. lol

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ribka

Can you repeat that so I can write it down and send to my financial advisor ol toot? You mind is amazing. I guess the deadly Covid made an expert in all fields now. lol
Silence howler monkey!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yep, gonna get whacked in capital gains taxes and might bump up into another tax bracket

OK. But as I understand it, each transaction for which you use it to acquire something or to pay something can result in a loss or a taxable gain depending on how much you paid for the crypto you are using for that transaction. So, you have to be able to account for it all at the end of each tax year. If somebody buys a $100,000 car with crypto for which they paid $1,000, they have to recognize the $99,000 capital gain and pay income tax on it. It's like selling stock to buy the car. Figuring that out for a bunch of trivial transactions has got to be a real pain. I don't see how being visible on the blockchain makes the accounting easier. But, I am not an expert on that. I know that we have some of those here.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

The SEC is to rule on crypto value exchanges the first of the month or possibly before. What I have read is that Bitcoin, e.g., will be handled more like a commodity as opposed to being handled like and considered as a stock or shares of stock would be.

Yep you’d owe tax on the exchange that you mentioned.
^^
The 2021 IRS tax forms will have questions regarding crypto at the very beginning, page 1. That might tell us how closely they will begin eyeballing crypto in the immediate future.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll stick to cash - ponzi schemes don't interest me......at all.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Houston 2 will suck dick for AIDS medication.

-County Sheriff

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deflave
Houston 2 will suck dick for AIDS medication.

-County Sheriff

Also accept Bitcoin

- old tootster

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.