Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a Leer 100XR installed on my Ford F-250 last year. From experience with an ARE on my F-150, I went with the Leer. Also, I knew caps were dust collectors. So, I bought rubber seals for the tail gate area from Lowe's and then sealed the floor of the bed. I had no dust in the bed area during the year and we camp, pulling a Travel Trailer, about every three weeks. I did have a slight problem right at first with the front window but the rubber seals corrected the problem. If I had it to do over, I would not get the front window unless I was going to camp in the bed. They claim you can open it enough to clean your truck cab back window. However, not really. I bought a squeegee with a long handle and it fits well between the cab and cap. My cost last year was $3,250. It took four weeks to get it and I also got the single locking handle rather than the double handles.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The tailgate seal is essential.

I had a Leer on my last truck. It worked fine, but the handle was cheap and the gas struts had to be replaced a few times.

Went with a ARE, and the fit and finish are much nicer.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have an ARE on my truck. First top I have had with gas assisted flip up side and rear access windows. I will never own another top without them.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Dust collecting SOBs!

I’ve had several ARE toppers. They were very good, but I drive a lot of dusty roads. Despite foam gaskets around the tail gate and trying to seal other openings, much dust came into the truck.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just bought a new LEER topper for my F150. One of the things I like most is I had them add an electronic lock. The same fob that locks and unlocks my truck, also locks and unlocks my topper. Too often people leave stuff in the back of the truck and forget to lock it, or it's just to much of a hassle. This makes it easy. If you want your truck locked, your back is also locked. It's especially nice when traveling.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No thanks!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Leer on my Colorado and don't have any trouble with dust. I haul my construction tools in it. I do keep the side windows cracked unless I'm expecting rain or traveling down dirt roads, as it keeps the interior of the bed a bit cooler than with it closed up tightly. I got the tilt-in window and have not used it one single time in the 6 years I've had it. I did ad the "pet safe screens" on the side to help prevent someone from slicing the screen and reaching in and stealing my tools. The pet safe screen is black plastic coated 1/2" wire mesh, like what you'd make an animal coop out of.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Caravan Camper for the win. Quite spendy but the best around. Built in Reno Nv since the 50's one at a time custom fit for your truck.

They don't leak they're completely sealed to your bed. They also have an air scoop on the top which pressurizes the shell so they don't suck in dust.

https://caravancampershells.com/

Here's mine.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Those with the dust issue. Look on line for air scoops that pressurize the canopy while driving. Keeps dust from being sucked in the tailgate area. I don't remember who makes them. They work good , so I hear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had shells on 5 trucks now. The last three were all ARE fiberglass shells. The points below are from living with the shells I have had for a long time.

Carpet and sliders are essential if you are sleeping in the back. Even if you don’t, you really, really want the carpet.

Strongly consider adding a bedrug if you want to camp in it. Even if you don’t, they seal everything up and make the floor soft and flat. You can easily pull them out if you want to haul something like gravel, but they are tough and can be washed in the car wash.

Dust can be conquered by paying close attention to sealing the bed/tailgate gap and any gaps in the bed. I had a shell on a 2011 Chevy 2500 and it was a dust magnet because of all the hidden holes in the bed rails. I taped them up and sealed the tailgate and the dust mostly went away. I have a shell on a 2021 Chevy 2500 and get zero dust once I installed a bedrug that seals the tailgate. The bed is sealed from the factory.

The carpeted liner is easily cleaned when needed with either a shop vac or at the car wash. If you don’t get it, you will have raw fiberglass that will be rough, uninsulated, and unfinished looking. And it will drip if there is condensation.

You should make sure to get the led strip lights installed with the strut activated switch. Lights come on when the shell is open and shut off when closed. You can also switch them to on or off as needed.

You will probably have to use some silicone sealer around the rear window frame if it leaks water. They usually leak just a small amount. Enough to be annoying when camping, but are pretty easy to seal. Get inside and shut everything and have someone with a garden wand soak the shell to find any leaks.

Avoid the fancy back glass with fancy looking latches. They tend to be problematic, whereas the standard single T handles work great. Plus, replacement glass costs less for a standard rear glass.

The fold in front glass allows you to clean between the shell and truck. It isn’t mandatory but can be handy. Mine have never leaked, but I rarely crawl in and clean it by hand.

Last edited by K1500; 08/27/22.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve had a bunch of toppers, every truck since 1986, A.R.E. Is the best of all them, the last one I put on my 2012 Dodge 2500 was their top of the line, it’s so much better looking than the regular top, you have to get the rubber seal that goes into the crack of tailgate and bed, I live on dirt roads, not bad at all with dust, just take your leaf blower and blow back end out , takes 30 seconds.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was doing the same research.
By the time you add those extras, you could up grade the a "RSI Smart Cap"
Made of stainless steel.
Better construction, better engineering.
https://www.na.rsismartcap.com/
About 5 K

Attached Images
189783.jpg (19.47 KB, 269 downloads)
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/189783.jpg
Last edited by Anaconda; 08/27/22.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a cap because I haul our camping gear and a lot of other things in the back of my truck for hunting trips that I would like to keep relatively dry while hauling it. I had a Century on my last truck and it was okay, but not great. When I got my 2015 I shopped around and found an ARE with the slightly raised top so I could get as much stuff in my bed as possible and still crawl around in there. I wouldn't be without the carpet in the cap. I sleep in there occasionally and it really keeps the condensation down. I got the front fold down window so I could get between the cap and the cab and wash my truck and window where I can't reach from outside. Even my slick tool that I used to use for getting between the cap and truck cab won't reach in there because of the tight fit and the shape of the truck and cap. The new trucks are even harder to get in there. I use it fairly often- about 3-4 times a year to get in there and get a good cleaning on my truck rear window and cap window and it really helps with rear vision.
I go get dust in the back often and need to wash it out but that is much better than getting a bunch of rain or snow on my camping gear or other items I carry in the bed often... after this thread I'm going to look into getting some sealing rubber strips to get it sealed up better..

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Anaconda, Do you have a RSI? I have been looking for one here in S. Texas, But no luck. Rio7

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had an ARE on a 99 F150. I sealed around the tailgate and dust still got in. I used to sleep in there at the heliport before crew change. had to duct tape around the tailgate to keep mosquitoes out. Mine lasted 20 years. I wouldn't get one again. prefer a hard tonneau cover that is easily removed when I need to haul something. I wouldn't spend the money on a carpet lining. I had a sliding front window and sliding screened side windows. I would do that.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If anyone has info on the RSI I’d be interested as well. From what I’ve found it doesn’t look like there much difference in the ARE and Leer brands anymore. Prices are close to the same as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Caravan Camper for the win. Quite spendy but the best around. Built in Reno Nv since the 50's one at a time custom fit for your truck.

They don't leak they're completely sealed to your bed. They also have an air scoop on the top which pressurizes the shell so they don't suck in dust.

https://caravancampershells.com/

Here's mine.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
This I've had two so far. One on my 98 Silverado, and this one on my 2011 HD. on this one I opted for no side windows and they installed a custom hatch I had someone else build for my night time coyote calling. Caravans are built like a tank and painted to match your truck.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The new stuff i see, a lot of it, while it may or may not be functionally superior, it looks like some bubba ass crap, like cheap hilbilly engineering. Makes the whole truck look like a mess. Doesnt come close to matching the trucks lines. The big names in canopys: leer, are, snugtop, they make canopys that look like a part of the truck. This is my snugtop rebel on my silverado. Looks like something chevy may have put on themselves. Dust is minimal, water is no concern.

[Linked Image from pic8.co]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a Leer on my 2018 Tundra Max Crew cab. Got the lift up side windows for access to the front of the bed. Also got the front removeable window. It has a sliding window, but the entire window will come out. Got it that way because the entire rear Tundra window goes down and will fully open to the shell. The other thing I got was the rails for the roof rack. Part of that option is plywood in the roof. Haven't noticed an extraordinary amount of dust or dirt while driving.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Looking at adding a shell to my tundra. What I’m looking at is a Leer 100XR, carpeted interior, tip out front window, and updated the side windows to open and slide. Anyone with experience have any ideas on anything I’d be missing or thoughts on something they’d do different if they did it over again?

I’ve had that model about 4 times. The last two time the quality sucked. Enough that I’d look at another brand. Cracks, crappy handles and window fit, poor paint.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 57 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.