Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hard to beat a Browning A-5 for dependability. That's why they have been around since 1898. Everything John M Browning designed has stood the test of time in reliability. The man was a true genius when it comes to firearm design.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BC30cal
delave;
Top of the morning to you my southern cyber friend, I hope the day's looking bright and cool enough down in your part of the world and you and your fine family are well.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on semi-auto shotguns with us as I know you've fooled with them a fair bit.

My own experience with them is slightly more than nothing, but not much.

If I may however, I'll briefly - for me Travis - share last summer's adventures.

A friend of a friend knew I worked on stocks and sometimes trouble shoot other firearm related ailments so a non functioning 1100 and Auto 5 Magnum were brought over to my shop.

The Browning's fore end was cracked - which after some research I found is "a thing" that happens with the magnums at least. Because it was cracked, as the fore end retention nut was tightened it'd push the barrel to the wrong spot and shells would either not chamber or the barrel would creep forward too far and the primer strike was too light.

Despite my best efforts at gluing up the splinters of the wood, it wasn't strong enough to be reliable so buddy is searching for new fore end wood.

The 1100 I did get running - can't recall what was buggered up in the trigger group now deflave, but the hammer would not go back far enough for the sear to catch. Anyways we got it running, but found that it too could have the fore end nut tightened too much so it would not function reliably.

The reading up I did also suggested there are consumable parts on the Browning design and on the 1100 as well. A copper sleeve thing maybe it was on the Browning and an O-ring on the 1100.

Anyways if folks are running either one, maybe a check on the fore end wood condition - and since it's Sunday Travis, neither one of us will make a joke about checking the condition of the fore end wood.

I'd think that can wait till tomorrow for sure.

All the best to you all as we head into September next week.

Dwayne

Very good, Dwayne Man.

Very good.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by drop_point
We can stop the thread now.

If we're talking about what's available now, absolutely - that's the case. deflave got the two b's backwards in order but they're probably honestly a tie anyway.

My answer was and is still correct. Every remington model 11 owner I know still uses them even though most are nearly 100 years old. I'd be surprised if the b's last that long basically without any repairs and very little if any maintenance (mine is 96 years old and I dab a little motor oil on the tube once a year). Until this year, it got 1500 or so rounds through it annually so if you do the math that would be 144 thousand rounds with no repairs. That's not really the case though as mine spent it's first twenty years as a naval training weapon (fancy way of saying skeet shooting off the weather deck of a naval vessel) so the round count is probably way higher than 144k. Same goes for the beretta 300's, most are 50 years old and chugging right along with no maintenance and very few if any repairs.

I have never cleaned my beretta 300 or my model 11.

I'm not downing today's offerings in any way - just pointing out a couple hundred thousand rounds and a century of age tells the real tale.

Please...

You haven't owned yours for 96 years, you have no idea what was or wasn't maintained or repaired in the time it wasn't under your roof.

The majority of Model 11s (and any other shotgun owned by average joe) haven't seen 10k rounds, let alone 144K - lol.

OP is asking for a defensive tool, higher capacity the better. Not a fuggin' century old field gun that can be pressed into service. To that end, Flave's dissertation is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

The Rem M-11 and Browning A-5 are top performers even today

Tell me more...I can't go pick one up downstairs.

If you're buying today, for a defensive tool, are you putting money down on Timmy the Tweaker's grandad's 5 capacity grouse/duck/squirrel/deer/possum/barn cat gun at the pawn shop or a B gun?

None of your BS changes the fact that they work. Recoil operation is extremely reliable

Look at the Benelli M-2 with its inertia operation no adjustment needed when going from light loads to Magnum loads

Deflave is spot on about the M-4

Did any of my BS state they don't work? I have owned multiple and still owned examples of both. They are functional. They are not the answer.

Point made was that they are not in fact the answer to the question stated in the OP if we live in the world of answer the question put forth.
Secondary point being that there is no way one can know service history and round count of a 96 year old firearm.
If the best course is to take a field gun and turn it into a high capacity, defensive shot gun A-5/M11 all the way I guess. Buying one that started life for the task would be frivolous for the Campfire Studebaker and AM radio crowd.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If we're talking about what's available now, absolutely - that's the case. deflave got the two b's backwards in order but they're probably honestly a tie anyway.

My answer was and is still correct. Every remington model 11 owner I know still uses them even though most are nearly 100 years old. I'd be surprised if the b's last that long basically without any repairs and very little if any maintenance (mine is 96 years old and I dab a little motor oil on the tube once a year). Until this year, it got 1500 or so rounds through it annually so if you do the math that would be 144 thousand rounds with no repairs. That's not really the case though as mine spent it's first twenty years as a naval training weapon (fancy way of saying skeet shooting off the weather deck of a naval vessel) so the round count is probably way higher than 144k. Same goes for the beretta 300's, most are 50 years old and chugging right along with no maintenance and very few if any repairs.

I'm not downing today's offerings in any way - just pointing out a couple hundred thousand rounds and a century of age tells the real tale.

Please...

You haven't owned yours for 96 years, you have no idea what was or wasn't maintained or repaired in the time it wasn't under your roof.

The majority of Model 11s (and any other shotgun owned by average joe) haven't seen 10k rounds, let alone 144K - lol.

OP is asking for a defensive tool, higher capacity the better. Not a fuggin' century old field gun that can be pressed into service. To that end, Flave's dissertation is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

If you're buying today, for a defensive tool, are you putting money down on Timmy the Tweaker's grandad's 5 capacity grouse/duck/squirrel/deer/possum/barn cat gun at the pawn shop or a B gun?

None of your BS changes the fact that they work. Recoil operation is extremely reliable

Look at the Benelli M-2 with its inertia operation no adjustment needed when going from light loads to Magnum loads

Did any of my BS state they don't work? I have owned multiple and still owned examples of both. They are functional. They are not the answer.

Point made was that they are not in fact the answer to the question stated in the OP if we live in the world of answer the question put forth.
Secondary point being that there is no way one can know service history and round count of a 96 year old firearm.
If the best course is to take a field gun and turn it into a high capacity, defensive shot gun A-5/M11 all the way I guess. Buying one that started life for the task would be frivolous for the Campfire Studebaker and AM radio crowd.

The A-5 will work perfectly for the OP. Not a problem to make sure one isn't in need of maintenance.
You are still full of BS when it comes to the A-5

Last edited by jwp475; 08/28/22.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Please...

By your standards the military should retire the 50 BMG

"
The . 50 caliber M2 machine gun was designed in 1918, near the end of World War I by John Browning. Production began in 1921 and the weapon was designed so a single receiver could be turned into seven different variants by adding jackets, barrels or other components."

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For the OP:

Regardless of what you buy or end up with, I would not waste one second of time on any semi-auto shotgun that doesn't allow for the magazine to be shut-off/switched-on.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave
lol - needs and wants are two different things. Lots of poors get it done with a one banger and shells between their fingers.

Another I forgot until just now - the model 11 needs no adjustment to fire the heaviest or the lightest of rounds.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

So, you agree with Joe Bob a semi auto isnt necessary but disagree with Geno who is essentially saying the ssme thing.

Humm. Does Joe Bob have a prairie dog town or a nice couch?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My buddy have a Benelli SBE/HK first series. He loves his, and he wants me to get a SBE. So I am looking for a SBE1 or SBE2. I "found" 3 used SBE via phone, so I think this week I'll visit those shops.
I have an 1187 military/parkerized model since 1987. Been good to me since new, if I stay away from pussy loads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Please...

The A-5 will work perfectly for the OP. Not a problem to make sure one isn't in need of maintenance.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by renegade50
Hatfield Semi...
👍👍👍😄😄😄😄

🤣🤣🤣

I have a Harfield single shot, break action. I’m sure it’s the same quality as the semi. I think Walmart had it for like $69. I bought it and leave it at the shack.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by pete53
owned a lot of semi- auto shotguns as a gun dealer the Winchester Super X-2 or a Berretta 390 seem to jam less and had fewer problems than the rest of a normal shotguns.

This. Benelli are good unless they get dirty or wet. Then you have to go to Wolff Gunsprings and get a stainless bolt spring and a stainless magazine spring.

^^Has not shot a Benelli in any of those conditions^^^

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Please...

How can you be such an idiot?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by tzone
owned a lot of semi- auto shotguns as a gun dealer the Winchester Super X-2 or a Berretta 390 seem to jam less and had fewer problems than the rest of a normal shotguns.

This. Benelli are good unless they get dirty or wet. Then you have to go to Wolff Gunsprings and get a stainless bolt spring and a stainless magazine spring.

I know a lot of duck hunters that do and they swear by the Benelli's

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Q has.

They’re buddies.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Win Super X-1 hands down & maybe A5’s. All these modern plastic stocked & alloy stamped guns are for pussies

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Probably so. But they don't have 100 years of flawless service behind them yet.

Flawless? Lmfao.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Go to Argentina and shoot doves with a gun provided by the place you hunt the doves, and most likely they will hand you a Benelli that has been shot 100’s of thousands of times…

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I read about A5s being used down there in Argentina that the friction rings had been out of them so long that the owners didn’t even know they were supposed to have them. The forearms were cracked and all that, but they just kept taking the pounding.

Last edited by JoeBob; 08/28/22.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Oh I’m in favor of the Benelli.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So, you agree with Joe Bob a semi auto isnt necessary but disagree with Geno who is essentially saying the ssme thing.

Humm. Does Joe Bob have a prairie dog town or a nice couch?

You are dumber than sun baked dog schit.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (222Sako, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,141
Posts18,523,288
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.