Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This knife. Bought a few of them, keep one in every hunting and hiking coat. Have gutted more than a few deer with them when I didn't have a better knife with.

GERBER Folding Knife: 2 in Blade Lg, 2 1/2 in Closed Lg, 4 1/2 in Overall Lg, Plastic, Straight - 45NV80|46050 - Grainger
https://www.grainger.com/product/45NV80?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclid=CjwKCAjwpKyYBhB7EiwAU2Hn2RPGq87-S6sL6TR2bC7FS71m0gdkkEpuADxKQs672vFmakqU01VKFhoCnKEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep claiming I'm going to use this one but I'm lying to myself. I drag it out and sharpen it and put it back in the weapons locker. The only thing it'll ever cut is my dumb friends.

Usually goes like this:

"is it sharp?"
"yes, shaving sharp"
"really?" "OUWWWWWAAAAAA SHIIIIT" "why didn't you tell me it was sharp?"

"laughter"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Geno, that's one of the most beautiful knives I've ever seen. I would be hard pressed to put that to work; it's a real piece of art.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Offshoreman! I feel the same way. I really feel bad about owning it to be honest. I was rummaging around and found some ammo I wouldn't use (at the height of the price lunacy) and offered it up for trade on another forum and my buddy offered to put a knife together for me. He used stuff he already had on hand but I really feel like he got the worst end of the deal.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Geno67
I keep claiming I'm going to use this one but I'm lying to myself. I drag it out and sharpen it and put it back in the weapons locker. The only thing it'll ever cut is my dumb friends.

Usually goes like this:

"is it sharp?"
"yes, shaving sharp"

"laughter"

I am not a guthook fan, but everything else about that knife is exquisite! You certainly have a prize there.

Last edited by gregintenn; 08/28/22.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Geno67

Usually goes like this:

"is it sharp?"
"yes, shaving sharp"

"laughter"

I st down and over a few night sharpened our kitchen knifes.
Just about shaving sharp.

My girl picks one of them up and proceeds to cut her hand.
She started yelling at me.
What did you do to our knives
I told her that I was tired of dull knives so I sharpened them up a bit until I can get the right stone to really sharpen them up.

He yelled at me that I made them dangerous because they are to sharp.
I Mentioned to her that I let her know that they were Sharpened and to be careful.

I then found the right stone and sat don and sharpened some pocket knives shaving sharp.

She got pissed off at me for some reason and will not let me sharpen the kitchen knives to the proper sharpness.

But she will use the glass knives we gut from Harbor Freight which are shaving sharp.

Women I will never understand them

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Geno, that's one of the most beautiful knives I've ever seen. I would be hard pressed to put that to work; it's a real piece of art.

No doubt. What a gorgeous knife!

I wouldn't mind getting some blood on it but I know dang well I would set it down in some dead leaves and never find it again. lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buck 371 and a 110, good up through elk. Went a little larger for moose.

1Minute
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like the 4" Buck Vanguard 692BR, I prefer the model with the rubber grip. Use it for moose and Caribou. For Caribou my Buck 110 works just fine. but it's not the fixed blade that was asked about.

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-692BR-Vanguard-Fixed-Blade/dp/B000EHUYQ4

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used my Old Timer pocket knife lots of times to clean fish and skin deer. Have to have a saw to cut the bones on the deer. It doesn't take a special knife for either, just a sharp knife.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Over the past 10 or 12 years all of our big game has been field dressed with a folding Gerber with about a 4 to 4 1/2” blade! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought both of these knives at the Airborne PX in Ft. Benning, GA, as a gift to myself after graduating jump school. That was in December of 1990. I have used the non-locking folder to clean dozens of salmon. The lockback is a 2 3/4" 501 Squire. I carried it to work when I was an attorney (back before metal detectors at courthouses) and then took it hunting with me too. I field dressed two or three deer with it, before getting another knife. I still have both knives.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got dozens of pocket knives but this is the one I find myself holding 98% of the time, a Buck 301 Stockman.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Either of these work splendidly. One is a 3” blade, and the other measures 2-1/4”.

Attached Images
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn’t own a knife just to rest in a glass curio cabinet.

I’d be whacking zip ties, cutting garden/radiator hose, skinning deer. So….no sense in paying more than 30-40 for it.

Hate be all boo-boo face if I lost my $800 custom hand made Pope blessed, walrus penis bone handle work of art. Drop it down into some jetty rocks hacking up bait.

Buck 110
Walmart
Made in USA
Was $29 till 51% of you closet dill wads put Bidet in office. Now it’s $39

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
One time I killed a deer and forgot my fixed blade knife, but my little Buck pocket knife worked fine to field dress it. Any sharp knife works good.

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Many on here know I make knives for discerning hunters and fishermen. Many guides use my blades and I’ve found the more experienced the hunter/guide, the smaller the blade they choose to carry. Case in point is a very successful brown bear guide who works Unimak and Kodiak islands and has eight of my blades. All with 2 1/2” blades….that’s he uses on those huge critters. My elk guide buddies I hunt with prefer 3”-3 1/2” blades. No Havelons for any of them….

When we hunted moose in Alberta during some slow time the conversation turned to knives and I asked the guide how many of his clients showed up with "new" knives just for moose? Lots. The rest of the answer was, "The longer the blade, the less likely it is that the person has any clue how to use it.".

Last edited by horse1; 08/29/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You don’t need a broadsword to gut a deer.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Z Blade. It is a #66 scalpel in an injection molded case, weighs less than an ounce. They stay sharp for a while, the current one I have has several deer and a cow bison under its belt and it is still sharp.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by cv540
This knife. Bought a few of them, keep one in every hunting and hiking coat. Have gutted more than a few deer with them when I didn't have a better knife with.

GERBER Folding Knife: 2 in Blade Lg, 2 1/2 in Closed Lg, 4 1/2 in Overall Lg, Plastic, Straight - 45NV80|46050 - Grainger
https://www.grainger.com/product/45NV80?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclid=CjwKCAjwpKyYBhB7EiwAU2Hn2RPGq87-S6sL6TR2bC7FS71m0gdkkEpuADxKQs672vFmakqU01VKFhoCnKEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have gutted over 100 deer with my Gerber ultralight LST lock blade folder. Handle 31/2 inches, blade 31/4 inches. Come sharp and take a very sharp edge. I used it for years till I lost it and replaced it with another, I also have a spare now.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 16penny, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,648
Posts18,474,603
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.