Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Nobody can "consistently" make an 800 yard shot on a living animal in real world conditions.

Damn few can make an 800 yard shot on a fixed target with wind flags every 100 yards.

In fact damn few can make 100% killing shots at 300 yards in real world conditions.

But wolves and Yotes have to eat too. Easier for them to take down a cripple than a healthy animal.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Nobody can "consistently" make an 800 yard shot on a living animal in real world conditions.

Damn few can make an 800 yard shot on a fixed target with wind flags every 100 yards.

In fact damn few can make 100% killing shots at 300 yards in real world conditions.

But wolves and Yotes have to eat too. Easier for them to take down a cripple than a healthy animal.

Changed your diaper today Maser?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LMAO ! Ole NoElkSlayer/ Maser/ Jason Cardenas has never seen an Elk. Much less shot one.
Kinda hard to make 800 yard shots with your Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
40 years of hunting elk and about 20 taken, Longest shot was 487 yards with a 338WM but most an of my rifles could have handled the shot. Next longest was 411 followed by 400, 350 and then all the rest at 300 and under. Closest opportunity was about 20-25 feet but I passed and took another at about 25 yards.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Never hunted anything bigger than Whitetail. Longest shot 75 yards rest about 50 yards. Still takes a keen eye and controlled breathing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Iā€™ve got a 225 yard range at home & a 500 yard elk vitals sized rock. Nobody in our group canā€™t hit that rock 1st shot from a field rest including 12 year old grandson. We take 2 trips to a ranch with a setup to over 1200 yards with gusty winds to prepare. 12ā€x24ā€ metal targets so narrower than an elks lungs. Shooting seated resting on my pack 7&800 yards are doable over 70% of the time wind dependent using a 300 Weatherby 180 grain TTSX & Zeiss z800 reticle. The preparation during the year makes it much easier to make a 400 -500 yard shot at an elk. Average for 20 animals is a little under 300 in the area we hunt.

Most hunters donā€™t practice & prepare adequately for longer shots at game. Some who hunt successfully are lucky to hit a pie plate at 200 yards off a bench. We know a guy well with that skill level. He took a running shot at a bull at 500 yards. I told him that elk was in more danger of being struck by lightning than that bullet. Some shots are missed even by well prepared hunters but most by guys shooting beyond their effective range.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
in fact damn few can make 100% killing shots at 300 yards in real world conditions.

So what you're saying is that military trained snipers do not actually kill out past that range, you are a fool.

Last edited by elkmen1; 08/19/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
This is a worn out old topic.

And from someone with 5 elk.

That is like saying. I am a professional driver, I will tell you all about driving and you should listen to me. I have had a driver's license for 5 years and I have been driving for 5 years now.

5 elk is what we call "December" and helping friends and family process meat for the winter/year.

I'm having a hard time finding where I claimed to be a professional.
Just asking a question.
Wondering if those with a lot more experience take a high percentage of elk at longer distances.
No kidding, that was real DB reply to the OPs question.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
This is a worn out old topic.

And from someone with 5 elk.

That is like saying. I am a professional driver, I will tell you all about driving and you should listen to me. I have had a driver's license for 5 years and I have been driving for 5 years now.

5 elk is what we call "December" and helping friends and family process meat for the winter/year.

I'm having a hard time finding where I claimed to be a professional.
Just asking a question.
Wondering if those with a lot more experience take a high percentage of elk at longer distances.
No kidding, that was real DB reply to the OPs question.

Disagree. When someone makes a statement with an ā€˜absoluteā€™ about what is ā€˜onlyā€™ needed for elk, or any hunting for that matter, without having a vast amount of experience hunting different types of territory.

The poster is hanging a shingle that reads ā€˜Come prove me wrongā€™....Which wasnā€™t hard to do, if you read the original post.

šŸ¦«

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've only taken a paltry 4 cow elk...in 30 yrs out here, ha. However, I am blessed to have shot many ( a couple dozen) elk sized Plains Game in South Africa. ( Bear with me) My average on the cow elk is 174yds, with the farthest at 250yds. In South Africa, 45yds to 90yds with 150yd was tops. The longest shooting in my life was in Namibia ( very open) and I killed the majority of my game around 130 -150yds; only 2 were at 370-380yds and one at 300yds. I personally do not "like" shooting far. I grew up in the Big Thicket of East Texas. Took me 20yrs to get a long shot (which was on a pipeline Right of Way) at 276 long steps, the rest were from 60yds to 90yds! I hunted with a bow hard for 5 yrs straight (deer/hogs) there and for mule deer in Colorado. All the game shot in Texas was 10yds and under, 35-45 in Colorado. BUT, bowhunting taught me "how" to be a hunter. So, some guys like to shoot way out there, and hunt in places where they can. I practice out to 300yds here, but I check my rifles grouping out to 500, just in case one gets wounded. I just won't shoot at game anymore out past 300 or a bit. But that's just me. I know I can get "in amongst them"....:) PS I'm so jealous of all you guys that have killed dozens of them!!!!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/26/22.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have taken 1 elk.it took me 17 years to draw a PA tag, it was a cow. After three days of my guide and I walking the mountain and low lands I had a chance to score, two adult cows and a young 6 pt bull walked out into a turnip field out of the trees at 155 yards according to my range finder. The longest shot I had made to date. Where I hunt deer 100 yds is a long shot. I was shooting a 30-06 off my bog pod. One shot behind the shoulder, she took one step and went down. When we gutted her I found i had shot off the top of the heart. She was 4 years old and weighed approx 650lbs live weight. I had this rign made from one of the ivory's.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by oldtimr1; 08/27/22.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She sure had a purty mouth......

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ran into a young man today who hunts in one of the Units that I hunt. Its open country with deep canyons, lots of openings and pockets of dense timber. Its steep and ugly and those that go there year after year are serious hunters. He hunts with friends and relatives and huts several miles from my camping spot. He is in his late thirties and killed a similar number of elk . They average 7 bull elk out of the unit annually and average shot is out near the 500 + yard mark, with his longest kill at 1150 yards, and many at 500 plus. He has never lost one he has hit. He practices frequently has a custom 7 mm Mag, and seems pretty much dialed in.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Except the ones Shrapnel killed with his pickup.
Me too.
My record is 3...at once.
I have a few one kill events, with various pickups.
A cow catcher saves the pickup imo.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good lord, it never ceases to amaze me the shiit a guy reads here!! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, Iā€™d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ainā€™t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

800 yards is a chip shot if you use a 350 yard zero.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Judman
Never killed a elk, they sound very intimidating. Iā€™m thinking high bc bullets and turrets for the win!! Hopefully I ā€œdraw a elk tagā€ someday!! Iā€™m all ears on habits and tactics!!
I've hunted more elk than all you combined have shot!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I suspect you have hunted more elk than you have shot as well!

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Don't project your your lack of experience, proficiency and skill on to others.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Exactly where does one shoot 300yds not in "real world conditions?"

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
UtP lives in a fake world. 300 yards is not that tough!

Molon Labe
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.