Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thank you. Very enlightening to say the least. Reason for part of the questions is my recent experience with Glock CS. It went well with no complaints but this thread raised those questions. My 1992 Gen 2 23 was at Smyrna for a different issue. When returned it had pretty much been rebuilt including a Gen 3 frame. About all that was left original was the barrel, slide, and bolt assembly. I called to confirm the reason and was told it had a cracked frame and the remaining parts were current version upgrades Cracked frame was news to me. Reading all the posted comments made me think this was possibly a CYA maneuver. Can’t fault the decision at all if that was the case, and after reading of your troubleshooting.

The ejector deal on the gen2 22 will be a go back too. We’ll see if it has a cracked frame.

Edit: there is one thing regrettable about the frame upgrade. The gen3 finger grooves are terrible. I whacked the top ridge off with a pruning saw then worked it down with a file till satisfied. New, I could not get a good purchase on the thing. Removing the top ridge at least made room for my middle finger against the trigger guard. Still may chop the next one down too.

Last edited by shootem; 09/18/22.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Their response stating that they replaced the frame due to it being cracked seems like a well crafted corporate answer, designed to protect themselves. I can understand that. With that said, the fact is that they are taking back a product and replacing a frame that is likely 30 years old at their expense. Not many commercial companies would be willing to do that, especially considering it could have been owned by multiple people and who knows what it's service life has been.

It is hard to complain about their customer service as I have found Glock to be an outstanding company when it comes to how they treat people. I understand about the finger grooves. For some the work, and others they don't but it is not a hard fix and there are a bunch of tutorials online about how to eliminate/modify them to a person's liking. I smoothed the finger grooves down on my old G19.3 years ago and while it may not look perfect it is certainly functional, which is what I care about, as I view them as a very high quality practical tool.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The Gen 2 guns were single pin locking blocks. Some of the early Gen 3s were as well until the issues were discovered ..."

I just invested in a Timney trigger and Milt Sparks holster for a Gen 3 .40 Glock that had just been sitting in the safe for a long time. How do I tell if the one I have and finally like now has the up grade?

Please don't feed the trolls!
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
"The Gen 2 guns were single pin locking blocks. Some of the early Gen 3s were as well until the issues were discovered ..."

I just invested in a Timney trigger and Milt Sparks holster for a Gen 3 .40 Glock that had just been sitting in the safe for a long time. How do I tell if the one I have and finally like now has the up grade?

Gen 5 deleted the locking block pin. I have read it was to accommodate the ambi mag release.

For models that have one, the locking block pin is located directly above the trigger pin.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Their response stating that they replaced the frame due to it being cracked seems like a well crafted corporate answer, designed to protect themselves. I can understand that. With that said, the fact is that they are taking back a product and replacing a frame that is likely 30 years old at their expense. Not many commercial companies would be willing to do that, especially considering it could have been owned by multiple people and who knows what it's service life has been.

It is hard to complain about their customer service as I have found Glock to be an outstanding company when it comes to how they treat people. I understand about the finger grooves. For some the work, and others they don't but it is not a hard fix and there are a bunch of tutorials online about how to eliminate/modify them to a person's liking. I smoothed the finger grooves down on my old G19.3 years ago and while it may not look perfect it is certainly functional, which is what I care about, as I view them as a very high quality practical tool.

Agreed on CS. Can’t complain when they stand behind their product to that degree. The trigger definitely has a better feel than the old one. And working down the finger grooves is fairly easy. Already spoke to them about the G22 and they sent me a couple of new spring assemblies to try. Told the guy I would be surprised if that helped but he wanted to do that first. So 2 freebies came and sure enough didn’t help.

Glock service is to be admired. Beretta could get a clue from them.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

I put a timney in my G45, very nice improvement. I see Johnny Glock has an improvement trigger out for it already. It supposed to fix timney’s reset. But I can’t justify spending another $100 for it.
I all so put a timney in my S&W M&P 2.0 and that one feels better than the Glock version.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had thought getting the Timney trigger might make it to light for concealed carry. I have only had it for about a week now with less than 100 rounds fired. Both my wife and I shot it so much better that I spent the money for a Milt Sparks Summer special II holster for it.

I can maybe see it making it into the self defense carry rotation... I need to shoot it a bunch more to decide. FYI Midway has .40 165 jacketed blem bullets on sale for 11 Cents each. I bought a bunch of them.

Please don't feed the trolls!
P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

You're lucky to be living where you are. Cracked frame on the plastic lugs where the slide hits on my Gen 2 Glock 23 frame and I can't even get the Canadian Glock Rep to even respond in a timely fashion to my concern about shooting it - let alone offer to inspect it. I've since sent pictures but still no reply so I guess I'm SOL. All this after <5000 rounds.

Glock Warranty Service is S*** up here in Canada. My next new pistol (if there is a next time given our laws) will NOT be a
Glock - Fug em.

Maybe they're OK for the 9mm but the 40 cal is too much.

Signed - Ex Glock Fan

Last edited by PSE; 09/19/22. Reason: Accuracy
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Glock, like other manufactures primary goal is to make a profit, not to make guns. When you have Communist leaders like Trudeau banning the import of handguns into the country, like he just did last month then there is no reason for a company to stay there. It is a lost cause. I can't blame Glock if they pulled out their reps and told them to go home or whatever the case may be.

I don't think I would be angry at Glock as much as I would be angry at the Canadian Government that has created the situation that is forcing gun companies to leave and/or shut down operations.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yeah right - the government is the reason why Glock Warranty should not even bother to reply to their customers when they have an issue.

Sounds like a classic case of deflection to me. California has weird gun laws too - I guess Glock shouldn't bother to address their concerns either. Give your head a shake!!

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
PSE, Glock warranties their pistols for 1 year after purchase.
Your pistol could be pushing 30 years old.
Try a Gen5 if you have the opportunity. I think you will be impressed.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I neither work for, nor represent the company.

If you have a problem with Glock then deal with them like a grownup. If you interact with the rep like you do here in this thread, it is no wonder why the rep wants nothing to do with you.

I find it amusing that you talk about how horrible Glock service is when they are known worldwide for their exceptional service.

Perhaps the problem is not with Glock.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Pretty hard to interact with them when they don't even want to reply to your emails. Over 3 weeks now and still waiting. The U.S. rep was much better but he can't do anything for me as I don't reside in the U.S. I have done nothing but try to deal with them in a grownup fashion but when you can't even get a response.

I think many of you would feel the same way if the company was treating you in the same fashion.

It seems that Glock has decided that since they can't make money up here anymore their customers can go to hell.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Since it's a Canadian rep, maybe it's a Canadian thing...

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TWR
Since it's a Canadian rep, maybe it's a Canadian thing...

Probably you're right - The American rep seemed to think it was no problem to at least look at it. Customer Service goes where the market is I guess.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shot a couple glocks. Never owned one. Heard of a couple that had blow outs from case rupture in the unsupported spot at the rear of the case. Have seen the bulge on many 40 s&w empties . No thanks I'll stick with my cz 40"s. Excellent tutorial Mackay.

If I ever get to Alaska for caribou I'll use a rifle not even a plastic pistol for back up I'll take s SW revolver.

Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have shot a fair amount of .40 S&W rounds, mostly my reloads. I shoot a Beretta 96, Browning Hi-Power and a Sig-Sauer 1911 Match Elite. I like a very hard 170 gr TC bullet at near 1200 fps. The powder charge is weighed and the velocity chronographed.
I was shooting with a fairly well known gun writer whom I have never seen post anywhere.
On one shot I sent brass down the magazine well of the Beretta. Stung a bit and surprising. Several rounds later, the same thing. We looked everything over and I told him my load data. He didn't think it was too hot but I did blow two out. Some of the brass had a tell tale swelling at the base. The brass was once fired PMC. The aforementioned writer advised me against reloading PMC brass in higher pressure rounds for use in guns without full chamber support.
I cut a Remington case longitudinally mouth to base through the center and a PMC case the same.Inside the Remington case where the the shell wall transitions to the base there is a fillet radius which adds some thickness to the case. The PMC brass wall was straight down with a 90 degree angle to the base, no web at all. Probably a weaker design.
I pulled all 1000 or so rounds and donated the PMC brass to the local range, reloaded all components into other brands of brass and have had no repeat ruptures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Wow. Because my pistol blew up i was an ill prepared idiot, just wow. How many caribou have you bulldoged and cut their throat. Maybe i should have had a 3rd gun? 2 knives?

LOL.

Sorry you had an issue.

That said was the Swiss Army knife your go to for dressing the caribou?

Good on you for getting the deed done but when you get down to a SA knife fight it might be time to rethink your loadout.

Just Sayin and 10mm G20 is best Glock. grin

Last edited by JohnBurns; 09/21/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mackay, maybe my usual confusion, but aren't there 2 & 3 pin Glock Gen 2 40's? And if a 3 pin, does that solve the problem of shooting heavier loads in a Gen 2?

I ask as I have some of those., thinking the 3 pin was OK?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There were some transitional guns.

Just like S&W you literally cannot say "never" as you will be proven wrong. In fact most don't know this but Glock actually did produce some full size guns with thumb safeties for overseas contracts. There were also some transitional models that had all the upgrades, but no rail, and some with a rail but were missing some upgrades.

So in short, yes you can run into a very small number of transitional guns with features as you describe, but they are the exception rather than the rule. As to your question of solving the problem, the locking block was only one issue on the Gen2 .40s. The barrels were still lacking in support that would come with later redesign/upgrades. It has been far too many years for me to remember when the various upgrades happened, but the safe rule of thumb is to simply not shoot anything but standard pressure loads in a Gen2 .40

Cheers!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.