Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter
There's a sign on I80 just as you go east into New Jersey as a memorial to a NJ trooper killed there in a shootout. He was reloading his revolver when the bad guys shot him with their semi-autos. NJ later adopted a H&K 9mm.

They went with the H&k P7m13s

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
When was it that law enforcement agencies nationwide began switching over from revolvers to semi-automatic pistols? Late 80's, early 90's?
Why did it take so long? Semi's such as the 1911 were around way before then. Was it a reliability issue with earlier semi's?

They didn’t want guys carrying a single action, is what I was told. Stress= accidental discharges…

Not everyone is a shootist.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A lot of police departments didn't even want officers carrying .357 Magnums.... "Magnum!!! That's so scary! It'll frighten the public! It'll look like we're out to kill people!" Even if you had a .357, you were often required to only use department issued .38spl. These types of administrators would have had their heads explode if they saw one of their officers with a 13-shot auto pistol!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stophel
A lot of police departments didn't even want officers carrying .357 Magnums.... "Magnum!!! That's so scary! It'll frighten the public! It'll look like we're out to kill people!" Even if you had a .357, you were often required to only use department issued .38spl. These types of administrators would have had their heads explode if they saw one of their officers with a 13-shot auto pistol!
My NRA handgun instructor in 1980 (who was a retired Deputy Sheriff) told me his son was an officer in the NYPD. He told me that what he did, and which was common practice on the force, was to carry his issue Model 10 S&W in his duty holster, but as a "backup gun" (which they were authorized to carry, and could carry whatever they wanted to) he carried a Beretta 92 IWB. He said that if he was ever called upon to draw a gun, it would be the Beretta, not the Model 10. That's how regular NYPD street cops got around the requirement to carry the Model 10 as their service weapon.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Price was probably a factor too.

In them days there wasn’t a lot of reasonably priced autos until Glock hit the market. 1911’s weren’t cheap, Browning’s weren’t either. Smith’s, i don’t remember much about them, although I had a 459 for a brief time.

Glocks were easier to transition to from a revolver, no safety to manipulate….point and click.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by viking
Price was probably a factor too.Glocks were easier to transition to from a revolver, no safety to manipulate….point and click.

Unfortunately transitioning from a 12# DA pull weight to the original Glock trigger pull weight led to negligent discharges. Also using a holster that isn't compatible with a Glock can be a disaster. Glocks are a good pistol. Glock pricing and marketing led to the Glock being everywhere overnight.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When I lived in Albuquerque 64-74, police were nor permitted to carry .357 ammo.Knowing one very well he asked me to work up a load in a 38 sp case that was probably a +P or better. I did so and you could not tell the difference between them and a commercial round looking at them.It ended up about 1/2 dozen officer carried them.

This particular LEO was only one of a very few that qualified to carry a single action revolver as a duty weapon. If any one doubts me, I can give his .

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
When was it that law enforcement agencies nationwide began switching over from revolvers to semi-automatic pistols? Late 80's, early 90's?
Why did it take so long? Semi's such as the 1911 were around way before then. Was it a reliability issue with earlier semi's?

The agencies issued revolvers……most officers could not afford a semi or did not have the knowledge to realize the benefits! JMO memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
When I lived in Albuquerque 64-74, police were nor permitted to carry .357 ammo.Knowing one very well he asked me to work up a load in a 38 sp case that was probably a +P or better. I did so and you could not tell the difference between them and a commercial round looking at them.It ended up about 1/2 dozen officer carried them.

This particular LEO was only one of a very few that qualified to carry a single action revolver as a duty weapon. If any one doubts me, I can give his .
The case capacity of the .38 Special is enough to duplicate .357 Magnum. The only reason they lengthened the case for the .357 Magnum was to prevent anyone from using them in a .38 Special revolver.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Illinois State Police was the first major law enforcement department to switch to semi-auto handgun. In 1967 they began issuing the S&W Model 39 and all troopers carried this until 1999 when they switched the the Glock 22.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dekker
The Illinois State Police was the first major law enforcement department to switch to semi-auto handgun. In 1967 they began issuing the S&W Model 39 and all troopers carried this until 1999 when they switched the the Glock 22.
Good gosh, why did it take so many other agencies so long to switch over? It couldn't have been a reliability issue, as the S&W 39's ran pretty good from what I've read.
Probably just too much beauracracy in the various departments.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the early-mid 80's in S. Florida a police department had recently been issued new DA/SA S&W wonder nines, I don't recall the specific model.

Jump forward a couple of months to a briefing about juvenile crime with a room full of officers. One officer in the back, deciding to be a smart-ass, removed the magazine from his new semi-auto, jumped up and said, "I'll show you how to handle juvenile crime!", pointed the gun at the front of the room and pulled the trigger while yelling "bang! bang!", thereby firing the round left in the chamber into the wall a few feet to one side of the lecturer.

After the hubbub died down the lecturer was curious about where the bullet had ended up so he went around a hall to the spot he figured would be right behind the briefing room. It was a women's bathroom. He knocked and on receiving no answer opened the door and went in to find a woman slumped in a stall, dead, shot in the back of the head through the wall.

That's a true story. This has nothing to do with why it took so long for police officers to start carrying semi-autos.

I also have an anecdote from the Dania police department around the same time frame, early 1980's, about an officer who accidentally shot two police cars with his service revolver within the span of a week, from inside the car.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by MOGC
Referring to how resistant some LE agencies are to change, I think until sometime in the 1980's all Missouri Highway Patrol troopers were issued and required to carry their sidearm in a right hand holster - even if the trooper was left handed. Uniformity of appearance was more important than the safety and effectiveness of the trooper.

MontanaMarine can relate.

LOL

Yes, yes I can.

I'm a southpaw. This is a pic of my duty belt and revolver from 1984.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That State Department budget only so large, MM.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by deflave
That State Department budget only so large, MM.

LOL

Yeah, they run on a shoestring budget.....more or less.....grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
glock saves lives.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bugger
Because semi-autos in general suck. The lack of training by the police force - that is they can't hit stuff caused the need for high-capacity magazines. If they could shoot straight there would have been no need for the [bleep] semi-autos.

"In a only four minutes a staggering amount of rounds were fired, over 125. Platt was struck 12 times and Matix six before they were finally put down. Both men had no alcohol or drugs in their system."

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dekker
Good gosh, why did it take so many other agencies so long to switch over? It couldn't have been a reliability issue, as the S&W 39's ran pretty good from what I've read.
Probably just too much beauracracy in the various departments.
Love mine. Not a jam yet. Cool classic, too.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
The four guns in orange were with the offenders. The surrounding guns in blue were with FBI -- though nearly all of the long guns were inaccessible when the balloon went up. Photo: Ed Mireles.
[Linked Image from images.theoutdoorwire.com]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by persiandog
The four guns in orange were with the offenders. The surrounding guns in blue were with FBI -- though nearly all of the long guns were inaccessible when the balloon went up. Photo: Ed Mireles.
[Linked Image from images.theoutdoorwire.com]
Damn.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 1minute, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,504
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.