It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Harbor Freight has good prices on ATV trailers and generators. laugh

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Oh look at me and how high my post count is !

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We've used electric SxS for years. They have their place

Bad Boy Buggie and Tracker Offroad. They're heavier built golf carts with 4x4. Excellent for low speed/start/stop fence repair. Capable transport and quiet with no exhaust smell or hot header to start a fire. You can hear the sticks break as you drive over them. The tire noise is still loud on the road. Top end sucks on the road, low 20s which is fast enough through the fields/woods. No cold start or warm up time in winter. If a storm knocks out the power, you're driving the pickup the next morning. Recharging after a 5 mile day is 8-9hrs. Having all 6 batteries replaced was over $900.

https://www.trackeroffroad.com/side-by-side/ev-is.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6 12 volt deep cycle batteries for 72 volts might be even more than $900. which I see as the down side of an electric. We only get 3 years on our 4 12 volt batteries in our golf cart and it is no speed cart that third year on batteries that are getting tired and not holding a charge. I remember limping back at like 5 mph after only a mile or two on hard surfaced paths.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
@windfall
Daily-weekly use and parking in a heated shop have greatly increased battery life. Some people ghave switched to lithium packs. I've not switched based on poorer cell phone and lithium tool performance in the cold.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
@windfall
Daily-weekly use and parking in a heated shop have greatly increased battery life. Some people ghave switched to lithium packs. I've not switched based on poorer cell phone and lithium tool performance in the cold.
Most phone and tool batteries are Lithium ion. The deep cycle 12v's used in most RV's these days are Lithium ferrophosphate, Lifepo4. They last longer and are considerably safer. With either one, though, you can't charge them below 32F. It damages the battery. Most good ones have a BMS build in that won't let it charge when it's that cold. You can use them in the cold but not charge them.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
@windfall
Most phone and tool batteries are Lithium ion. The deep cycle 12v's used in most RV's these days are Lithium ferrophosphate, Lifepo4. They last longer and are considerably safer. With either one, though, you can't charge them below 32F. It damages the battery. Most good ones have a BMS build in that won't let it charge when it's that cold. You can use them in the cold but not charge them.
Do you have experience with Lifep04 batteries in the cold? How do they compare in subzero temperatures to lead acid batteries?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is probably the heat in the Florida garage that is contributing to 3 year shelf life on our lead acid deep cycling batteries. That does seem pretty typical with our neighbors down there as well. All of us keep them on charger maintainers when they are back in the garage and ours are turned off during the off-season with the “tow-haul” switch. Dad had the same shorter battery life when he was in Arizona.

As long as we are on electric vehicles, let me vent here about the proliferation of electric bikes for kids. I came up to an intersection last week and a kid on an electric bike came shooting across the intersection on the sidewalk doing the 28 mph that I clocked him at down the street. No helmet, no head light, no license and no sense about traffic laws. Same thing here at the house where there is like a 6 year old girl scooting up and down the street at full speed on her new e-bike. Parents seem oblivious to what their kids are doing.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
@windfall
Do you have experience with Lifep04 batteries in the cold? How do they compare in subzero temperatures to lead acid batteries?
No. I just put a set on my camp trailer but it's been in the 90's about every day since then. Ask me again in Feb.

― George Orwell

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have a 2014 huntve electric 4x4 golf cart

Trojan batteries. They are near end of life at 4 years old.

But it still can go a couple miles with ease. It ain’t fast but fine for most of what we need. Pulls yard style trailer with ease

We are going to sell it though as the wife wants a 4-5 seat SXS for
Riding trails with our friends and family. Otherwise I’d keep it.

If your realistic about what they can do and what you need they work fine

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.