Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jerry

Have you run LC brass and same loads through yet?

Though it sure seems gas flow is an issue, it may be related to a bad chamber, requiring so much gas flow to extract the fired brass...

Have you spun loaded brass, at about 3 points on the case, IE neck, just in front of the base, and mid case, on a dial indicator and then after firing to "check the chamber" dimensions?

Or could it be a tiny bit of crooked die, creating a "bent" round before firing?

I don't recall if you tried factory ammo or not.

Keep us updated.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Jeff:

Thanks for your response. As to the ammo, all I can say, is it works in EVERYONE else' AR'S not mine. According to DPMS the chamber etc. is to spec! I've about had it, and I really wish I had the success Dave has had. I'll do a case run out, I haven't done that yet. I will note as well, that most of the cases are pretty dirty after firing. Back to the range for one last time.

Jerry

Last edited by JerryEden; 12/06/07.

NRA Endowment Life Member
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jerry,
You are shooting a lot lighter load than I am. I am loading 24.5 grs Varget with 77's. If it was me I would send them the rifle and tell them, to send it back when it works!
An extractor has to be less than the cost of shipping the rifle?
I am confused.
I don't know who makes their barrels now, but when I ordered my 1/7 twist it had to come from Olympic Arms and it took a few months. Maybe you could contact them and see what size gas port they use? Mine has always worked perfectly, with no adjustable gas tube or carrier weights required. I guess I was lucky.
I guess if I were having that many problems I would sell it and get a new Bushmaster or Rock River gun. You need to be working on the positions and not fooling around with adjustable weights and gas tubes IMHO. I think Jeff is probably right, you could be over gassed. I don't like to badmouth anybody's products because anyone can have a bad day, but I remember replacing an extractor in a customers rifle and the new one was no good either. I repeated this several times until the owner of the shop got PO'd.
I ended up calling the company and they admitted they had a batch of extractors with bad heat treatment. They sent me a new bag free. I had a few hours of labor down the tubes and a irate boss by then. I would imagine barrel makers have bad days once in awhile too!
Good Luck!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whelen

I dont think you are lucky, I think Jerry is unlucky. Happens to everyone at some point. First shot with my very first Zeiss scope in the 80s, something broke loose and rattled around, but they fixed it!

Thats the real point, repair the dmn gun right.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Whelen:
Yeah, my loads are light, that's the only way I thought I could get this "thing" to work. You are right on about, screwiing around with equipment, when I should be practicing postions, timing, etc. No match has ever been won by equipment first, it is always the riflemans skill, then equipment. Reminds me of the guy, who has to have ever new fangeled thing that comes along in "any" shooting game. He spends more time with all the state of the art stuff, then he does with his skills, and wonders why he never wins. I am old enough now, where the young "turks" are going to shoot better scores than me anyway, but I still wish to be competitive with my peers. Also, the extractor is NOT the problem, and I only bought the barrel from DPMS. The rifle is an Olympic Arms, and I never had a problem till I changed barrels. One more shot at the range, if things don't work out with the lower gas setting, I will put the old barrel back on,and quit screwing around. I won't allow the DPMS barrel to be used by anyone else if it dosen't work, and I may take all your advice, and buy a new rifle. BTW, I have learned a lot from you guys during this thread, thanks.

Jerry

Last edited by JerryEden; 12/07/07.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jerry

I"d been biting my tongue as I don't shoot much at all anymore. But the wife and I used to almost sleep with our ARs, you can ask Chris F or Dave about that.

I'd love to have that barrel if you give up on it. I don't have much spare change laying around, and I"m not sure when I'd have time to monkey with it, but I"d love to have it just to see what it would take to get it running right, if possible or what the real issue would be why it won't. THats the way I learn things, just by playing with them.

If interested PM me if you'd like.

Jeff

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jerry,
Friendly advice time.
If I were you I would get to know some of the guys who have gone distinguished in your area recently, and ask them who put together their rifles. Have them put an upper together for you. It will be cheaper in the long run!
Your eyes aren't going to get any better as you get older.
Get to shooting!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You are close enough... White Oak Precision.... builds match winners all the time.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I were you I would get to know some of the guys who have gone distinguished in your area recently, and ask them who put together their rifles

I'll make it a bit easier for you...there are three distinguished shooters that I know of on this thread (four if you count Rost's wife!). Two of the three recommend White Oak without reservation. (we're working on the third).

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I put my own uppers together!
D.R. #1741

Dave McGrath

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
1350 and 1259, we use White Oak Precision. :o) But I've put more than a few together myself.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...My wife won't let me play with tools any longer.

B
B
If you end up taking the thing off, please let us know how large the gas port on the barrel is. Inquiring minds want to know.

B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jerry,
How much would you sell me your barrel and bolt head for? I don't need anymore stray dogs or projects, but like Brian, Dave and Jeff, I do have an inquiring mind that needs to know.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I'll let you all know, gas port size etc., if it dosen't work next time to the range. I loaded up some more ammo with Varget and 4895, and loaded them in the mid range of the loading data. To note, that would have been to hot previously. I have returned the gas tube to 1.5 turns, and hope to be able to shoot it by sometime next week, I'll post the results. Thanks guys your'e all very helpful. Rost, as to that barrel, if DPMS won't do anything with it, I'll send it to you, OK?

Jerry

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You are more patient than I am. Why don't you just put yourself out of your misery and send the damn thing to Jeff? (rhetorical question)

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whose tools is that?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jerry

Yes I'd take the barrel. Chris F offered also, he and I are about like twins in trying to run things down to an end. Makes for a much better life when trouble shooting if you've done it a time or two!

If/When frustrated enough, just shout!

Jeff

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Jerry;
Myself, I would gladly check out the problem. I have the tools and if it turns out there is a problem with the barrel itself, for whatever it's worth, I'll go to bat for you with DPMS. If I can fix your problem, I will charge you only for return shipping and "if" needed a part.
I'll also run various ammo through it too as a favor, at no cost.
I would not need the adjustable gas tube to solve the problem.
So there you have it, three guys willing to help or buy the barrel.
davear15yahoo.com

Dave McGrath

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whose tools is that?

I'm telling your wife on you!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,934
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.