Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Also, ALL spherical powders are double-based, meaning they have added nitroglycerin, which also affects burn-rate compared to single-based extruded powders. (Not all extruded powders are single-based, but many are.)

Consequently, spherical powders usually burn less consistently and completely in reduced loads. This was one of the early "problems" with TAC. When loaded to pressures around 60,000 PSI it burned VERY cleanly, which was unusual for spherical rifle powders at the time. But even with "starting" loads, say around 55,000 PSI, it didn't burn as consistently or as cleanly. Consequently quite a few handloaders tried it, and when starting loads left visible powder-fouling in the bore, and often didn't shoot very accurately, they didn't even try maximum loads.

Don't know how many handloaders contacted me about this, basically whining that it didn't burn cleanly or result in very good accuracy, but it was quite a few. I advised them to add more powder--and all reported fine results.

What all of this comes down to is that just because TAC has a similar burn-rate to IMR4895, it doesn't act anything like 4895 with reduced charges.

That's been my experience with ball, too. I exclusively use stick powders for my rifles, with the exception of CFE BLK in the 300AAC and 222 Rem because I generally run mild to middling loads in my stuff, and ball powders usually perform somewhere between terrible and a steaming pile of horse manure with lower end charges.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can agree with the previous poster. TAC is not a good powder for reduced loads. Typically ball powders in general aren't good for reduced loads.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by CZ550
H4198 is one of Hodgdon's EXTREME powders, one of the best. IMR 4198 is NOT. RL-7 is subject to variable psi in temp changes from summer to late fall-winter.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

That's been my experience as well, but a LOT of hunters apparently aren't concerned about temperature-sensitivity because it doesn't vary all that widely in their area. I have generally found that just about ANY modern smokeless powder won't vary much in pressure/velocity at temperatures from about 20-85 Fahrenheit.

But I happen to live and hunt in Montana, which has the widest range of recorded temperatures of any of the 50 United States, from -70 to +117--which is why I tend to prefer temp-resistant powders. I suspect Ontario has a pretty wide range as well!

I was gonna say, but you boys beat me to it...

I've been in Ontario and Montana with a rifle and the cold weather... and don't leave out Minnesota... where I spent 15 years of my life..

but I live in western Oregon, down near the California line 25 miles to our south. and I also use a lot of IMR 4198 and RL 7, for a lot of reduced loads that I shoot. ( alot of that was motivated by being a shooting instructor and merit badge counselor with Boy Scouts). With the mild temps here, IMR 4198 and RL 7 work just fine, and in fact are a lot more accurate than H4198, if you are trying to shoot small little groups...

but then again, I've loaded ammo for sons of friends in Montana, and friends kids in Minnesota, using RL 7 and IMR 4198..
These are like 12 yr olds, out shooting Grandpa's 30/06 for their first deer hunt....30 grains of RL 7 or IMR 4198, even at those colder temps manage to still hold " Minute of deer" within normal hunting ranges and allowed the kids to bring home venison....which was all they really cared about.. and grandpa's gun didn't knock them on their keester when they pulled the trigger...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,207
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.