Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I’ve seen a lot of people transition from irons to dots, of varying age, vision, and shooting ability. I’ve also now seen many shooters start out directly with dots.

With proper instruction they have all, all, been as fast up close and more accurate at long distance (50 yards as an example).

The biggest improvement is in the 15-30 yard range. Hitting reasonable size targets at speed is hard and anybody who disagrees is welcome to post up targets with times. Those previously hard shots become very obtainable.

Dots have essentially doubled my pistol engagement distance with no downside up close.

The key is seeking out the proper presentation technique. But if you’re not willing to do that then you’re probably not willing to purchase a quality dot or keep up with battery life or maintain the skills you acquired.

And that’s fine, iron sights still work. But it’s undeniable that they work as well for someone willing to learn something new.

Exactly! I always think of all the stories and quotes of people who said decades and decades ago that riflescopes were big, clunky, unnecessary pieces of junk that didn’t belong on top of a rifle. Guess the whole “scope thing” kinda caught on. Sure, some would never need, or want one, but millions of scopes have made millions of farther, more accurate shots possible for millions of people. If you are against dot sights, cool. Your call. That surely doesn’t make their realized advantages for shooters that use them, any less real than the advantages of using a scope on a rifle. Any minor shortcomings scopes or red dots/reflex sights may have, I’m pretty sure neither product is going away any time soon. I like em, I use em, I’m cool with it if you don’t. 😎

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Over the decades, I've owned enough flashlights to never trust a battery-powered object. Add to that, TV remotes, cars, and who knows what else, and how can anyone trust a battery?

Besides, they look funny on a good pistol.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Over the decades, I've owned enough flashlights to never trust a battery-powered object. Add to that, TV remotes, cars, and who knows what else, and how can anyone trust a battery?

Batteries in the Holosun that I have last a year, also I can use the co-witness sights if necessary

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have more than one handgun and less than thirty. All have open sites. Not willing to say never but not yet. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This could be the most internet thread of all time.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No objection here. In fact I now enjoy shooting handguns again. When I was 40 something my eyesight for near vision declined markedly. It's really not fun shooting when all you see is a blury sight or you clean up the sight and the target is blury. Red dots cleaned up the sight picture and are extremely easy to use. Only thing that I don't like is finding a holster that works well with a red dot.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I guess if you're too cheap to replace batteries on a schedule instead of when they go dead, that can be a problem.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quality night sights are good for 7-10 years and if care is taken to zero them, plenty good for 50+ yards. I personally don't want anything, between my front & rear sights, that might catch rain/dirt/snow etc.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally?

They cost money.
When I've tried them, they were awkward.

I'm cheap and too lazy/cheap to learn to use them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rain-dirt-snow-etc issue is an exaggerated issue. The enclosed emitter optics solve the issues, but they were never that bad.

If the crud your pistol falls in his bad enough to obscure the lens, it’s also bad enough to clog up your read sight and stick to your front.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d add that although iron sights can be very accurate for some shooters, the dots make those shots easier.

I can hit at 50 with irons. With a dot at 50 I can get hits in sub 2 seconds with a lvl3 holster. Drawing to an A Zone at 50 is the normal practice.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just feel the need to ponder off topic,(yet related to reply content) for second…

I wonder if any poster on here has a fire alarm or smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector in their homes? Seems these are small, technologically advanced objects that are mostly run by batteries, that make our lives safer and our minds more at ease. Also pacemakers come to mind as a NEEDED battery operated device that people literally trust their lives to.

To me, the not trusting batteries point carries little water in this discussion…especially when the irons are co-witnessed. Just my opinion, of course. 😎

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Personally?

They cost money.

Well, there's an honest answer.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Personally?

They cost money.

I suspect that's satire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Personally?

They cost money.

I suspect that's satire.

Maybe. But it's hard to argue with.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cowboys never use Red Dot sights - They don't showup on Redskins.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I guess if you're too cheap to replace batteries on a schedule instead of when they go dead, that can be a problem.

Small batteries, if they haven't run down first, get changed every 12 months at my house. The type doesn't matter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being an avid and gullible gun magazine reader, I wondered what I’ve been missing not having a red dot on one of my handguns? Now after adding an RMR to my 1911 on a plate to replace the rear sight, I can report that I’d like to have my rear sight and $400.00 back. We have some friends visiting here from Australia where they don’t have handguns, so I took Steve shooting over the weekend. We started with a m43 S&W .22 and were hitting pretty well at about 20 yards. Next up was a CZ PCR 9mm with the fiber optic Dawaon sights and WOW shooting in full sun they really pop. Steve wondered where the battery was, they are that bright. Then came the 1911 .45 ACP with the RMR. Steve couldn’t find the red dot and finally after lots of coaching, he pointed it down far enough to see the dot. That handgun was sighted in for 10 yards, so my turn at 20 and the group wasn’t even on the 8.5x11 piece of paper, but below it several inches! Back at 10 yards it was right on again, wtf. Add to that we were shooting with a slight wind in our face and the blow back from the ejection port and muzzle was accumulating in the red dot lens and the image was getting more speckled with every shot.

I asked Steve what he liked best and felt most comfortable with. The CZ PCR and our targets confirmed that. The m43 was too light, the 1911 with that red dot was not even an honorable mention.

Maybe at a given sighted in longer range with muscle memory for finding that red dot more quickly a red dot might have some redeeming value, but for sure not on a CCW handgun for this shooter. Handguns are strictly short range defensive and expensive hole punchers for me and a red dot sure didn’t make that 1911 into a precision instrument.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Windfall
Being an avid and gullible gun magazine reader, I wondered what I’ve been missing not having a red dot on one of my handguns? Now after adding an RMR to my 1911 on a plate to replace the rear sight, I can report that I’d like to have my rear sight and $400.00 back. We have some friends visiting here from Australia where they don’t have handguns, so I took Steve shooting over the weekend. We started with a m43 S&W .22 and were hitting pretty well at about 20 yards. Next up was a CZ PCR 9mm with the fiber optic Dawaon sights and WOW shooting in full sun they really pop. Steve wondered where the battery was, they are that bright. Then came the 1911 .45 ACP with the RMR. Steve couldn’t find the red dot and finally after lots of coaching, he pointed it down far enough to see the dot. That handgun was sighted in for 10 yards, so my turn at 20 and the group wasn’t even on the 8.5x11 piece of paper, but below it several inches! Back at 10 yards it was right on again, wtf. Add to that we were shooting with a slight wind in our face and the blow back from the ejection port and muzzle was accumulating in the red dot lens and the image was getting more speckled with every shot.

I asked Steve what he liked best and felt most comfortable with. The CZ PCR and our targets confirmed that. The m43 was too light, the 1911 with that red dot was not even an honorable mention.

Maybe at a given sighted in longer range with muscle memory for finding that red dot more quickly a red dot might have some redeeming value, but for sure not on a CCW handgun for this shooter. Handguns are strictly short range defensive and expensive hole punchers for me and a red dot sure didn’t make that 1911 into a precision instrument.

I just want to send another big thank you to Waders.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Steve couldn’t find the red dot and finally after lots of coaching, he pointed it down far enough to see the dot."

You know they make RDS plates for 1911's that have a rear sight... Would've taken the challenge out of finding that red dot though.

It's not rocket science... set it up right and spend a little time working with your pistol, or not, as it's your gun, your RDS, your choice.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,363
Posts18,527,223
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.