Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by zcm82
What's an acorn? 😏

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fair point....lol. My wife was born in Oregon and grew up with northern parents. I had to remind her yesterday that they are aye-kerns, not aye-corns, when you live in Looz-iana (not Louise-iana).

We say aye-kerns here. I here somebody say aye-corns, and I'm like hmmm.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It looks like we are on a good crop this year here.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The acorn crop is always a huge factor in our success. Our place has some substantial oaks. If the crop is good, the deer tend to stay in the woods and gorge all night, and we hardly see them in the fields or during the day. Last year was like that. Judging from what's on the trees, this year could be the same.

The biggest crop I can remember happened in 2006. That year, the acorns were still dropping on the Rifle Opener in mid-November. I had a new stand set up near a massive oak. I was still bow hunting back then. Along about mid-October, I was on my way to this stand one morning when my flashlight fell on a bunch of deer rumps. There were half a dozen doe chowing down right at the ladder, and gobs more scattered between my stand and the old oak. I expected them to bolt, but they did not even look up. They were so intent on eating, they completely ignored me. I had to push past them to get to my ladder. I managed to get all the way up, and get settled in without disturbing them. Finally, just before legal hunting, they moved off.

The good side of the bumper acorn crop this year is the turkeys had a decent hatch, and I'm now seeing lots of jakes and jennys out in the fields. The excess of acorns will keep them fed over the winter.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tail_hunter
Acorn crop looking weak in PA this year.

Same here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ella
Serious question: what do you do with 30 gallons of acorns?

Looks like a good year down here. Hog and deer hunting should be good. But I never bothered to pick any up.

I’m not really sure what I’m going to do with them, but it wasn’t much effort to rake them into piles and shovel them up. I’ll likely put out a few piles in front of my game cameras and see how they do versus corn. Might also do a little research on planting some along the edge of my field and see if they come up.

It couldn't hurt to plant them, but they may not be developed enough to be viable.

IC B2

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bluefish
Should be good hunting the ridges in central Maine this fall then.

I'll let you know.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teeder

Looks like a good year down here. Hog and deer hunting should be good. But I never bothered to pick any up.

I’m not really sure what I’m going to do with them, but it wasn’t much effort to rake them into piles and shovel them up. I’ll likely put out a few piles in front of my game cameras and see how they do versus corn. Might also do a little research on planting some along the edge of my field and see if they come up.

It couldn't hurt to plant them, but they may not be developed enough to be viable.

I'm curious about that as well.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm curious about that as well.

Put a few in some sphagnum moss, slightly moist. If they're good, they'll develop a root radicle soon.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Haven’t been out yet, but if the shumard in my yard is any indication, it should be a good year. Last year was pretty good. My local WMA is on the West slope of the Blue Ridge and somewhat higher than here, so frost damage can happen there but not here, five miles away.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oaks were loaded last year especially white oaks. Looks pretty sparse this year. NW GA.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Haven’t been out yet, but if the shumard in my yard is any indication, it should be a good year. Last year was pretty good. My local WMA is on the West slope of the Blue Ridge and somewhat higher than here, so frost damage can happen there but not here, five miles away.

We don't have shumards here in NW-PA, but I planted a couple dozen shumard x northern red hybrids. Hope to get some later drop times out of them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

We don't have shumards here in NW-PA, but I planted a couple dozen shumard x northern red hybrids. Hope to get some later drop times out of them.

They don’t seem all that tasty to the herd of squirrels in my yard. The drops stay on the ground a long time. The rodents much prefer the black cherries, my sunflowers and peaches, and the birdseed I put out, plus the peanuts I toss to them when they come up on my deck while I’m drinking coffee. If I’m not out, they sometimes come to the door and look in. One younger bluejay will sit in the tree next to the deck and squawk until I come out and toss a few.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
A bunch of us were talking about this the other day when we were shooting sporting clays. We were standing under a white oak and the ground was covered. The one thing that we noted was that they were small. Maybe because it was so dry this Summer?

Bow season opened yesterday here. My son and I are headed out to the farm where we hunt this afternoon to check on the ladder stands and blaze some trails. All of my stands are in the middle of several oaks. I'll check out the acorn crop while I'm there today. We always do good on acorn years. Those oak trees are like a magnet for deer. Good times when the acorns are falling.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 09/10/22.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hundreds of pounds of the things in my yard this year and still falling like rain. One of my better investments has been a Bear Cat lawn vacuum because raking all those acorns would be a real chore. Kind of a shame to landfill all those, but that’s where they are headed in a week or so.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluefish
Should be good hunting the ridges in central Maine this fall then.

Western Maine is going to suck for acorns. Gypsy moth really got hold of a lot of oak in Oxford County. Complete defoliation in parts.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Ours haven’t started dropping yet around here but it’s probably going to be pretty soon. Looks like it’s going to be a big crop.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

10-4. Thanks for answering.

I'd be curious to hear how that goes.

Down here in SC, mast crop makes a big difference. Last year, we could barely find any acorns, deer hunting was rough, and the pigs were elsewhere. This year, the oaks look pretty loaded, and I'm optimistic. I hunt public land and have learned acorn crop directly correlates to how the hunting goes. I still hunt the hardwood--oak, hickory, and pecan--spots. Good years, it's fat pickings. Other years, you have to get creative.

(On my property, we watch the pecan cycle. This year is looking good there too.)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Went to my mature white oak hot spot yesterday evening, pile upon pile of very large deer droppings along with multiple piles of bear scat everywhere around the trees.

FJB & FJT
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Fair to middlin here. The Sawtooths are more caps than nuts. Been a dry summer. In my area.

There is a war on America and America is losing
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I dumped out a half bucket of acorns and a little rice bran midday on Wednesday in front of two cameras. Hit them with a little fruit syrup on top. Didn't take long for them to be found.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.