Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cwh2
Kimber Talkeetna?

I never wished for more velocity on the H&H, and in fact it is one chambering that I don't load to its limits. Still seems to kill stuff pretty well. I do agree that it's a good single chambering for all of AK, but I think I would be fine with most anything 280 rem and up.
Quit making sense, chw2 wink

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Agree with just one rifle being a depressing concept, but if I was in AK, had to pick just one, I'd go with this SS M-70 Classic in .375 H&H with Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42, QD's and NECG irons.

I just sold a very nice FN Mauser 336-06 which would work. But, the old .375 H&H is a time proven classic, so many ways you can load it and you'll never come up short.

This one's a keeper.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bingo! We have a winner! Dirtfarmer….isn’t it ironic that two Louisiana boys just happen to know the best rifle for the job! 😉

However, the Sako Talkeetna would be a great one to consider….. it’s quite a bit lighter than the Winchester. It’s pretty much the Winchester in a lighter package!

Run a chamber reamer into either making an AI or a Weatherby……and you have a near ultimate Alaskan hunting rifle! 😉 memtb

I haven’t seen a kimber talkeetna in years… the stainless model 70’s pop occasionally.. standard 375 with RL15 and 300gr tsx is all you need.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Don’t know how many 458 Lotts there are, but I know of two .416 Taylors.
One of those two has become a safe queen at this point, Mike. The old girl is decisive on anything it's aimed at, make no mistake. The Sako 375 w/20"" bbl, mickey stock and trg package seems to kill just as much... but not the shoulder so much wink Carries easier and shoots little tiny groups close to the .338. It is still reserved more for the Ursus crowd, though the moose brothers go down without much fanfare.
To the OP: What chw2 said. . .

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Depends where you live and hunt, if in the states 30-06 will do with bullets ranging from 150 grain to 220 grain, if in Africa of course something like 375 H&H. We're spoiled today, in the old days they only had one gun and one caliber and all the game was killed with that one rifle, but since they only had that one rifle and were dependent on it for food and survival they were proficient with it, unlike many today that have multiple rifles in multiple calibers and are mediocre marksmen. Sometimes I think of the old timers and wonder if I shouldn't just settle on one rifle and one caliber and use it for all my hunting, but then the voice inside says "perish the thought and enjoy all your rifles and calibers".

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If i lived in Alaska it'd be the 338 WM, 250gr A-Frames at 2750 would do it all from 0 to 400 yards.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.338 WM for US, .416 Rigby for Africa. I can live with that.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
Kimber Talkeetna?

I never wished for more velocity on the H&H, and in fact it is one chambering that I don't load to its limits. Still seems to kill stuff pretty well. I do agree that it's a good single chambering for all of AK, but I think I would be fine with most anything 280 rem and up.
But some lightweights are just too heavy...
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Back for resupply. Been too warm. Fking blackflies everywhere, low moose population.

Lotta gibberish in this here thread so pay attention:
375 h&h is a piss-poor do-all for Alaska.

Most are too long and heavy for hunting in the mountains. Winter caribou by dog team, too bulky. Too much recoil for extended shooting sessions, sharpening your skills for the longish, treeless alaska shots. Not ideal hoofing mountains.

A 9.3x62 would be much better "all-rounder". But very limited choices for lighter bullets for extended range practice. Still too heavy for the Mountains. In light guns, too much recoil. Still too much bullet for 30 mph winds/treeless alaska winter caribou.

.338 calibers:
About ideal one-gun. Scores of high bc 225 grainers that buck winds very well. Low enough recoil that you can get decent practice in light-weight guns.

Anchoring shots on moose, where the big bulls need to be on the dry bank, not seconds later in a muskeg swamp or in the river, to be blasted into a wood pile up, lots of good 250 grainers. I run the 275 grain a-frames, which are a great moose bullet for big bulls called to the river.

308/30-06. Very few available 220 grainers like the .338's. At 225 grains, the 338's are just getting warmed up.

For anchoring big bulls on the dry bank and bear protection in spring/summer:

I have a massive pile of 30 caliber 220 grain partitions, and those fkn things costed more than 300 grain 9.3 a-frames, or 250 grain a-frames, or 275 grain a-frames. Currently, there are none in stock, anywhere.

180 grainers: good for extended range practice with tolerable recoil, great for mountains, winter caribou, spring bear, calling in wolves etc.

For youth guns and mountain rifles, the 308 winchester edges out the 30-06.

With lever revolution powder, the 308 winchester gives an easy 2700 fps with 180 grainers, 2600 fps with 200 grainers, and 2480 fps from 220 grain partitions. All with minimal recoil from a 6 lb. mountain rifle.

Below 308 winchester/30-06: no fkn thank you. Not really an "all-rounder"

Lightweight 338 win mag, 338-06, 338 rcm or 338 rpm (that new weatherby), about the most ideal Alaskan calibers ever made.

What's usually kicking round my dog sled or canoe as general purpose stuff:

308 winchester/220 grain partition, 338 rcm 225 grain interbond/225 grain fusion, 338 rcm 275 grain a-frame, 9.3x62 300 grain a-frames

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/21/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Most are too long and heavy for hunting in the mountains. Winter caribou by dog team, too bulky. Too much recoil for extended shooting sessions, sharpening your skills for the longish, treeless alaska shots. Not ideal hoofing mountains.

A .375 H&H doesn’t have to be long, heavy or bulky. I think it is perfectly adequate as an all around AK round. Sheep are about the only species I think that keeps it from being near the best and that is only because they’re often shot at ranges that I wouldn’t consider the .375 H&H with normal bullets good for. It is fine on deer and caribou sized critters though a sometimes caribou can be out there a ways too.

I carried my .375 H&H into sheep country a few times this year and didn’t find it too terribly heavy. I was after bear though and didn’t expect to have to take longer shots. The two days I was specifically after sheep I carried an even heavier rifle that that.

Like most anywhere else, I think the best all around rifle for AK is a 22” barreled .264, .284 or .308 cal of some flavor with a 6x scope, simply so it can reach out a bit easier but is also good for up close stuff.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok, here we go again, and here is what I've been packin since 1995, I have this and a Custom 06 built in 1985 that I still Hunt with..... cool
LJ in Alaska....

Attached Images

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Back for resupply. Been too warm. Fking blackflies everywhere, low moose population.

A 9.3x62 would be much better "all-rounder". But very limited choices for lighter bullets for extended range practice. Still too heavy for the Mountains. In light guns, too much recoil. Still too much bullet for 30 mph winds/treeless alaska winter caribou.

.338 calibers:
About ideal one-gun. Scores of high bc 225 grainers that buck winds very well. Low enough recoil that you can get decent practice in light-weight guns.

Anchoring shots on moose, where the big bulls need to be on the dry bank, not seconds later in a muskeg swamp or in the river, to be blasted into a wood pile up, lots of good 250 grainers. I run the 275 grain a-frames, which are a great moose bullet for big bulls called to the river.

308/30-06. Very few available 220 grainers like the .338's. At 225 grains, the 338's are just getting warmed up.

For anchoring big bulls on the dry bank and bear protection in spring/summer:

I have a massive pile of 30 caliber 220 grain partitions, and those fkn things costed more than 300 grain 9.3 a-frames, or 250 grain a-frames, or 275 grain a-frames. Currently, there are none in stock, anywhere.

180 grainers: good for extended range practice with tolerable recoil, great for mountains, winter caribou, spring bear, calling in wolves etc.

For youth guns and mountain rifles, the 308 winchester edges out the 30-06.

With lever revolution powder, the 308 winchester gives an easy 2700 fps with 180 grainers, 2600 fps with 200 grainers, and 2480 fps from 220 grain partitions. All with minimal recoil from a 6 lb. mountain rifle.

Below 308 winchester/30-06: no fkn thank you. Not really an "all-rounder"

Lightweight 338 win mag, 338-06, 338 rcm or 338 rpm (that new weatherby), about the most ideal Alaskan calibers ever made.

What's usually kicking round my dog sled or canoe as general purpose stuff:

308 winchester/220 grain partition, 338 rcm 225 grain interbond/225 grain fusion, 338 rcm 275 grain a-frame, 9.3x62 300 grain a-frames

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’m certainly glad that my .375 doesn’t fall into the too long, too heavy group!

Yes, my rifle barrel could be a bit shorter than 24”…..but, unless all of your hunting is done in Alder Thickets, 24” is quite practical!

However, the 24” barrel on my 9 pound AI makes it a pretty decent long (er) range rifle for caribou and or sheep. A 270 grain LRX @ 3000+ makes for a prettt decent “all around” package! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnn
Only one... ought six hands down
This one. ^^^

My only other exception for a bush gun is a K98, 8x57 with a short barrel.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Agree with just one rifle being a depressing concept, but if I was in AK, had to pick just one, I'd go with this SS M-70 Classic in .375 H&H with Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42, QD's and NECG irons.

I just sold a very nice FN Mauser 336-06 which would work. But, the old .375 H&H is a time proven classic, so many ways you can load it and you'll never come up short.

This one's a keeper.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bingo! We have a winner! Dirtfarmer….isn’t it ironic that two Louisiana boys just happen to know the best rifle for the job! 😉

However, the Sako Talkeetna would be a great one to consider….. it’s quite a bit lighter than the Winchester. It’s pretty much the Winchester in a lighter package!

Run a chamber reamer into either making an AI or a Weatherby……and you have a near ultimate Alaskan hunting rifle! 😉 memtb
I'd worry about scratching up a nice rifle. Not this one. It's strictly utilitarian.

With the fluted 21" tube, not overly heavy. I didn't like it much with the heavy OEM 24" barrel, this version mo better, IMO.

DF

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sako 9.3x62

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Until you have gone into a real alder thicket with a 24" barrel you have no idea how ridiculously long it is...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Until you have gone into a real alder thicket with a 24" barrel you have no idea how ridiculously long it is...
Isn’t that the damn truth!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sitka, not to mention, where the fk could you put the dmn thing on a snow machine or dog sled??

After rolling a widetrak lx on an icy ravine, I bent a 24" barreled pump shotgun beyond repair, years ago.

I ended up never bringing another long gun except an over/under shotgun/rifle that folded in half. I stowed it safely in the under-seat storage.

When I switched to dogs and freight sleds, it was so bad (space wise), could only store rifle inside a gutted caribou carcass in the freight sled. The ONLY safe place where a gun will survive a crash, is vertical scabbard, UNDER the handle bar.

Before I built my custom freight sled, I was desperate enough to consider bullpup rifles.

With my new freightsled: 40 inches, max length on rifles.

24hourcampfire, where lower-48 do nothing pipe-dreamers school Alaskans, everyday.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
In southeast, the best all around rifle I’ve found is a 9.3x62 with a 20” barrel. A 300 yard shot is rare, and either the 250s or 286s witless do that. If I lived in the interior I’d be tempted to use a .300 win/wsm with a 22” barre because bears seem to be less of a concern and it seems like everything is at least 300 yards away.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Originally Posted by ironbender
Don’t know how many 458 Lotts there are, but I know of two .416 Taylors.
One of those two has become a safe queen at this point, Mike. The old girl is decisive on anything it's aimed at, make no mistake. The Sako 375 w/20"" bbl, mickey stock and trg package seems to kill just as much... but not the shoulder so much wink Carries easier and shoots little tiny groups close to the .338. It is still reserved more for the Ursus crowd, though the moose brothers go down without much fanfare.
To the OP: What chw2 said. . .
Sadly, the other .416 that was beerhuntr-inspired is now an orphan.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,642
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.