Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
My binos cost more $$$ than any scope I've ever owned, FWIW.

Are you bragging or complaining?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by mliang
I have an older Diavari and newer Nightforce NXS. Optical performance still goes to Diavari. Lower light, resolution, any way you want to measure it, Diavari wins. I want to compare it to a S&B but can't justify the three thousand dollar price tag and don't know if I really would gain anything over Diavari.

The Polar smokes the Diavari actually. I have owned both and a Zeiss HT .

That’s a pretty bold statement. I won’t argue the S&B may be brighter, but “smokes it” I think may be a bit much…

96% light transmission vs 94.5 for the Zeiss HT vs 90-92 for everyone else. Using one in the dark is like cheating.

I seriously doubt you could tell the difference. The difference is so small, it's almost impossible to tell without meters.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman

It doesn't take an alpha riflescope to kill stuff. Not surprised it flew over your head.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

It doesn't take an alpha riflescope to kill stuff. Not surprised it flew over your head.

I get it. You're bragging.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
FWIW, it doesn't take alpha binoculars to kill stuff either.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BillyE
FWIW, it doesn't take alpha binoculars to kill stuff either.

Right about that. Any $500 bino nowadays has as good of optics as a so called "alpha" from 15-20 years ago.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
I have an older Diavari and newer Nightforce NXS. Optical performance still goes to Diavari. Lower light, resolution, any way you want to measure it, Diavari wins. I want to compare it to a S&B but can't justify the three thousand dollar price tag and don't know if I really would gain anything over Diavari.

That’s a pretty bold statement. I won’t argue the S&B may be brighter, but “smokes it” I think may be a bit much…

96% light transmission vs 94.5 for the Zeiss HT vs 90-92 for everyone else. Using one in the dark is like cheating.

I seriously doubt you could tell the difference. The difference is so small, it's almost impossible to tell without meters.

I seriously can having owned all of them 20/10 vision in one eye 20/12 in the other. Meters my azz , you can easily see it unless you are Helen Keller.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I seriously can having owned all of them 20/10 vision in one eye 20/12 in the other. Meters my azz , you can easily see it unless you are Helen Keller.

OK Helen.

I have several West German Diavari 3-9X36 scopes that are probably close to 40 years old and will still amaze you with their clarity. I’m not saying equal to the S&B, but still a long way from being smoked…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

OK Helen.

I have several West German Diavari 3-9X36 scopes that are probably close to 40 years old and will still amaze you with their clarity. I’m not saying equal to the S&B, but still a long way from being smoked…

Yeah they will be smoked by the S&B easily. Have you bought one or used one? I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO. I Have used the 3-9x40 Diavaris , they were smoked by the equivalent Kahles and Swaro AV's and the predecessor to the AV.

I love how everyone thinks they know more then the guy who actually owns the product and uses it a lot for its intended use. This place is hilarious.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Cat Ladies are a "rugged" lot and REALLY "know" your stuff. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

OK Helen.

Yeah they will be smoked by the S&B easily. Have you bought one or used one? I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO. I Have used the 3-9x40 Diavaris , they were smoked by the equivalent Kahles and Swaro AV's and the predecessor to the AV.

I love how everyone thinks they know more then the guy who actually owns the product and uses it a lot for its intended use. This place is hilarious.

You continue with smoke and most of it is dope. The West German Diavari scopes were made when they were still using lead in glass and the added density that lead offers, does make for a better image than what you know.

Look through the West German Diavari and you won’t see so much smoke…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

You believe that the difference you perceive is due to the few percent difference in light transmission. That's what I'm saying you would not be able to detect. If there's a difference in perceived brightness, it's because of something else like type of glass, design, etc. Just not a few percent light transmission.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another rarely-mentioned factor in light transmission in interior "baffling," or anti-reflection coatings, inside scopes--which cut down on deflected light between the lenses.

Back in the primitive 1990s, Zeiss made a 6x32 riflescope that had "advanced" multi-coated lenses. Leupold made the 6x36 M8, which had single coated lenses.

While there was a little theoretical advantage to the 36mm objective of the Leupold, the difference in apparent brightness for the Leupold was very apparent--at least partly due to interior anti-reflection coatings. I know this due to owning more than one of both scopes during that era--though only two of the Zeisses, because the "primitive" 6x36 Leupold M8 was obviously a lot brighter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It's just that some people get hung up on numbers and draw conclusions from that, without really understanding what the numbers mean.

The transmission rate is not an absolute number. You simply cannot compare two riflescope and conclude that one will be brighter than the other simply because of a few points difference in light transmission. Saying that a 4X36 will be brighter than a 4X40 because it has a claimed 95% transmission rate compared to the 92% of the other one is ludicrous. If you could take two exact same riflescopes and coated one so that it had only 92% transmission and coated the other so that it had 95%, you would not be able to tell the difference without meters. It's a ridiculous comparison because a scope design is the sum of its parts.

My point is that making purchasing decision based on a few points difference in light transmission between to different scopes is untenable.

I am very comfortable with comparing two similar scopes with similar specs and picking one over the other on perceived brightness, that's a thing. But it won't be because of a few points in light transmission. It will be a combination of factors.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

OK Helen.

Shrap has probably owned more high dollar optics than you can imagine and I would trust his word on how they preform .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1100mag, 53 invisible), 3,515 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,774
Posts18,535,879
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.