My opinion.....GREAT cartridge!

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kenster99
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sarge, barrel is 4 5/8". Original owner chopped it off to make it more handy for bear hunting. Killed several blacks (bears) with it, showed me some cool old pictures and mounts.
You guys would have a stroke if you knew what I payed for it ! Told him it was worth much more, but he insisted since it had been basterdized , that was the price he was asking.
Got the holster and belt and about 75 rounds of reloads also.

That's a great looking revolver and leather. It shows the character marks of honest outdoor use.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Picked the Ruger up today! Going to head to the range and run some 45 ACP through it this afternoon and will get some 45LC ordered this evening.

Will post some pics this evening. Now I just need holster/leather recommendations

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenster99
Sarge, barrel is 4 5/8". Original owner chopped it off to make it more handy for bear hunting. Killed several blacks (bears) with it, showed me some cool old pictures and mounts.
You guys would have a stroke if you knew what I payed for it ! Told him it was worth much more, but he insisted since it had been basterdized , that was the price he was asking.
Got the holster and belt and about 75 rounds of reloads also.

Thanks Kenster. That barrel length is about perfect IMO. The reason I asked is because I have an old Uberti Cattleman, which came with my favorite SA grip of all, the 1860 Army. I cut it back to 5" and mounted a brass Skinner partridge front sight.

The only excuse I have for mentioning it here is that it was advertised as a 45 Colt, but arrived as a 44 Magnum. It turned out to be a great shooter.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/20220510_081418.jpg

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first revolvers were 357 & 44 Mag.

I shot 44 Mag's a lot and have had more than a dozen. Later I found that medium loads were effective and accurate. Now I shoot medium loads in my 44's, mostly. I bought a 44 Special, what fun, in a Colt 1873 clone.
Then I bought a 45 Colt in a Colt 1873 clone. Next a 45 Colt in a S&W.

I'll often take that 44 Special or a 45 Colt or a 357, or a 38, or a 22LR, or a 22 Mag, or even a 44 Mag. In my neck of the plains though the 45 will work on anything I'd shoot. I can load cast bullets in one and there's not much that it can't do.

I own a couple 45 ACP's, a derringer and a 1911 - I don't shoot them much. Semi-autos suck and the need for the derringer only arises when I go to a different part of the country.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great cartridge. My gun of choice for it is a Colt New Service, 1920's commercial model. Loaded as hot as I dare go it's still namby-pamby compared to some of y'all's. That's ok, I like it. No bears here to whack with it, just the occasional small block Chevy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
That looks like one of the mid sized frame flattops. I dont think it would handle any high pressure loads. I believe that Brian Pearce did a reloading article in handloader when they first came out. He limited loads for both the 45 colt and acp cylinder to 45acp +p pressures.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Good morning here. Morning coffee and reading Watchin the sun come up in the mountain. First morning to get into the 40’s. Gonna try to get a hog with my new Ruger tomorrow morning.

Here she is! Now I need help choosing a holster. I carry an Exo pack so wondering if I need to go packbelt holster route, as well as a good belt holster. Maybe have both options for when I don’t carry the pack.

Attached Images
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you are not prone to falling in the creek, the 1AT from Milt Sparks for a single action is the only way to go.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
There is a stainless Ruger 45 Long Colt/45acp convertible at my LGS that I am trying to decide whether I am gonna buy or not. It is a beauty.

Would love to hear from some guys who use the 45LC round and what applications you use it for. Target shooting, reloading, hunting, defense etc. I just have no experience whatsoever with the round.

Anyone use one for self defense in predator country?

I love my blue one. Mostly just target shoot.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Love the grips.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
If you are not prone to falling in the creek, the 1AT from Milt Sparks for a single action is the only way to go.

Mackay_Sagebrush that’s what I want to find. Very nice

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MosesTucker

Mackay_Sagebrush that’s what I want to find. Very nice

Here ya go.
https://www.miltsparks.com/outside-the-waistband/200aw/

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
“I saddled old Satan up, rode over, and sure enough, the East Helena butcher was up a tree over there and the bull was going around after him. His .41 rod ejector Colt had shorts in it. I never heard of such a light load being used for the purpose, as an old bull has two inches of cartilage over the frontal skull plate, and his bullets were stopped by the skull. As soon as the bull saw me he came for me. I shot him square in the forehead, killing him instantly, and he turned a summerset towards me. The old .45 Colt slug went clear through his skull. My horse jumped over the top of him and watched him, but the bull was dead.”

—Elmer Keith, “Hell, I was There!,” Chapter Three, “Ranch Life.”

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Too bad that book isn't in reprint. Used copies go for hundreds of dollars.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I very much like the .45 Colt cartridge, for both handguns and now rifles. I have taken several hogs with my S&W 25-5, most with a 250 grain JHP over 2400 powder. The bullet does not have to be all that fast to be very effective. Some years back, I had my local gunsmith make me a conversion cylinder in .45 ACP. I used to shoot a lot of bowling pin matches with that set up. I took the revolver out to the hog hunt in March, and shot pins there with good results. I should have entered the contest but did not. This year, I picked up a Rossi Puma M92 with brass frame and 24 inch heavy octagon barrel. I have developed a good load for it, and will take it hunting this fall.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pair of 45s there Mannlicher. I've had a couple of Rossi 45 Colt 92s, 16 and 20 inch. I change the sights on them right out of the chute, but they both ran and shot well.

Last edited by SargeMO; 09/15/22.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Come with me back to early seventies. A sporting goods store on Arden Way in Sacramento, going belly up. A few new guns. The early model Ruger a new gun on final sale. Combo 45 LC & 45 ACP. Bought it. Some month's later from Jim's Guns, Watt Ave, N. Highlands, Ca... He'd installed a Ruger special order brass grip frame on a big Ruger Super Blackhawk, 44 mag and had the steel grip frame & grips up for sale @ $20. Bout a month later, I blinked as he chuckled. Fit my Blackhawk perfectly. Larger and swapping-in real steel for the smaller, lighter alloy original frame. A whole new & improved balance as well as more happy handful! 'Her' serialed to '72 and just realized the 'old gal now a 50th BD! Still with box, papers & original frame. (Tried for pix as resized smallest. No Joy!)

Postscripts! I've not shot her much at all. But do enjoy ownership. Also with four nice New Service revolvers in 45 LC, one a target model! Another a "mystery gun", SN to 1939, almost minty but bearing a tiny single Woolwich Arsenal on Thames stamp. A British Purchasing Commission gun making the round trip to England and back. Somehow without ever incurring the 'normal' billboard plethora of Brit proofs etc., markings.

The 45 Colt is a great, classic round. I'm entirely good with classic guns and factory rounds!
Interesting Thread! Thanks!
Best!
John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like 45 Long Colt a lot...I don't do CAS, but prefer Mernickle leather. The hunter leather is a good option too!

Here's some pic's of leather and some then my naked 45 Long Colts. A model 92 take down gussied up by Turnbull, a 73 Beretta Renegade, a SAA from Nutmeg, an old style Vaquero with power custom innards, and my model 25-15 (it was in an N frame pic earlier. The leather without a holster is my wife's...basically unused. There's a 44mag oldstyle vaquero and 38-40 SAA in leather just so you can see how a revolver sits in them.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Great pair of 45s there Mannlicher. I've had a couple of Rossi 45 Colt 92s, 16 and 20 inch. I change the sights on them right out of the chute, but they both ran and shot well.
as soon as I could get one, I replaced the rear sight with a Skinner peep sight. It made a positive difference with accuracy.

Sam......

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (16penny, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,479
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.