Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Well, whatever prompted him to change the pre-1898 small ring designs, he did make changes in the 1898 style, including the larger gas shield on the bolt shroud, the auxillary locking lug, and cock on opening instead of cock on closing. I have never claimed to be an expert on the evolution of Mauser bolt actions.

Yes, and it's possible that there may be considerations that are now lost to time.

The 98 also had the shroud lock. I had a 96 Swedish Mauser rotate the shroud at the wrong time - I don't know how I managed that and it only happened once.

Paul also had a hand in the 1904 Verguiero and it lacked any shroud and no gas release slots in the bolt and no hole in the LH receiver. I guess Verguiero didn't think it necessary and it was a different cartridge 6.5 vs 8mm.

I thought that Vergueiro designed that rifle by borrowing attributes from Mauser, Mannlicher, and the 1888 Commission Rifle to create something of a hodgepodge mixed heritage design. I didn't know that Paul Mauser was personally/actively involved in its design.

I understand that the Portuguese initially rejected the Mauser when it came time to move on from the Kropaschek and voted for something with a more familiar action (Mannlicher?). The vote was quickly rejected by the other half of their military when they found out, and wanted the Mauser, so it stalemated and went no further.

Take two of the process Verguiero and Paul got together to develop the best of both worlds - sounds like someone ordered this process to happen so that it dispayed due dilligence. Looks like many of Paul's ideas were rejected, probably due to cost. I would have thought that it would be technically easy to drill a hole in the reciever, slot the underside of the bolt, provide a bolt shroud and delete the easily fouled striker gap arrangement.

I don't know what Verguiero provided at round 1 but looks like he had influence at round 2.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well i finally got around to tearing it all down.
It is indeed an M46 (thank you) & other than some badly drilled holes & a bit of filler (now filled & removed, blended & polished) is in great condition. For a project base, at any rate.

I do have another question though:
There is a missing screw that threads into the bottom of the rear sight base, through the forend. (See photo)

Can anyone tell me the thread size of this screw, or point me in the direction of where i could possibly find an original? I've searched every possibly parts terminology i can think of & I'm coming up blank.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Robtattoo; 10/03/22.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,830 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.