Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
When the Library of Alexandria burned down just imagine what was lost.

But to have millions of galaxies and billions of stars and thinking we are the only planet to be in the goldilocks life zone around 1 sun that has any type of life on it out of all of that.
Is kinda limited thinking....

GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes Rene, there are millions and millions of planets out there perfectly suited for intelligent life to evolve.

And on many of them it probably has, and gone extinct again, possibly several times. And on many more, intelligent life may well evolve in a few 100 thousand years, or maybe 100s of millions of years.

But how many of them exist in this same geological instant as we? And how did they stumble across our little infinitesimal planet in this tiny corner of the galaxy?

I find it easier to believe the mind of man is fully capable of all the historical engineering feats we have discovered.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Human ingenuity shouldn't be underestimated;

“. . . 1,250,000 kilograms . . . is the weight of the great block of granite the Empress Catherine II of Russia (1762-1796) . . . carried to St. Petersburg (now Leningrad) to serve as a colossal base to the equestrian statue of Peter the Great. This is likely the largest stone ever moved by man, one and a half times the weight trilithon blocks [at Baalbek.]”

Hope you caught that — an object 1.5 times the weight of the trilithon was successfully moved in the 18th century — no modern cranes. They did it with manpower, not alien know-how. He mentions other large objects successfully moved by human engineers, but this one gets special attention because it was a larger problem than the trilithon.

Transporting the Trilithon Stones of Baalbek: It's About Applied Physics, Not Ancient Aliens - Dr. Michael Heiser (drmsh.com)

https://drmsh.com/transporting-trilithon-stones-baalbek-applied-physics-ancient-aliens/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
modern humans, and that includes folks as far back as 200,000 years ago, were just as 'smart' as folks are today. Maybe more so, since smart equaled survival. They were capable of very sophisticated tool making and were experts at working with the tech that they had. To think that 'aliens' had to visit and do the things you can't explain denigrates us all.
Besides, the ancient aliens schtick flies in the face of the so far unanswered Fermi paradox.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Which, of course, takes us to the Drake Equation.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
In the past, many individuals through history have confused sophistication ( or a lack thereof) with intelligence ( or again, a lack thereof).

In many cases, this generally did not turn out well for those individuals.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Jesus is an alien
He was here first. We're the aliens.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Morewood
i before e except after c.
Or 30 beers and say fugk it

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Jesus is an alien
He was here first. We're the aliens.

Yes, but did he come over from Shooters?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hillestadj
I tend to believe its more likely that humanity has seen extreme rises and falls in population and accompanying technology

I agree.

The reason the history of the megalithic architecture we've found is taught the way it is is because it is the best explanation that could be assembled from the construction dates that were guessed at along with the tools found from that era. And at the time no one imagined human technology could have been lost in a way that meant the earlier stuff was orders of magnitude more capable. Most people have always assumed technology progressed in more or less a straight line from the first Man to now.

But that obviously is not the case. I think if an RFP went out to excavate a 5,000 ton granite obelisk and transport it 700 miles to Giza then carve a statue out of it, no one would respond. Yet that is exactly what people were planning to do many thousands of years ago there. They must have known something we don't, though I don't think aliens gave it to them.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably the greatest advancement in technology in history came from the harnessing of electricity.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of what’s left of the ancient world is worked stone. Imagine what they could do with wood, bone, textiles, and other materials that don’t last like stone.

And the idea of ancient humans being “cavemen” is ridiculous. Stuff just gets preserved in caves for tens of thousands of years. So what we have of people that far back is only what’s found in caves. I doubt people only lived in caves back then. In more recent times within the last 500 years people lived in caves but during periods of war or famine to protect themselves from marauders.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cutting a perfect square hole in basalt thousands of years ago ? Ever wonder what secrets and truths are squirreled away at the Vatican ? Is there lost technology , alien technology I don't know but physics doesn't explain everything.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If aliens came to Earth now,they would say" no intelligent life on that planet."

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntz
If aliens came to Earth now,they would say" no intelligent life on that planet."

Depends on the aliens.

https://i.postimg.cc/P5pK207H/7-E68-F050-E442-4-D95-A54-B-F528-E2-D96711.webp

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If aliens exist and can do interstellar travel, they are way beyond our tech level. For us, it's not even on the horizen, an impossibly within the foreseeable future .

Last edited by DBT; 09/13/22.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Is there other life out there? Don't see why not. I doubt we will ever visit it, or it visit us though. The mechanics of propelling a craft to other stars, when distances are measured in light-years, is mind-numbing. I just don't see how it would ever be practical for a biological organism to make the journey.

The most likely visitors we would ever receive, or send to distant stars ourselves, would be artificially intelligent, self-replicating machines capable of staying on-mission for millenia. Instead of little green men, we should be expecting robots.

And then there is the "Dark Forest" problem. Any intelligent organisms or swarm of AI machines that we encounter out there would probably view us as a future potential threat, and obliterate us in a preemptive strike if they can.

So I think life may be out there, but I doubt if any humans will ever find it (unless there are alien organisms in our solar system, like on Europa). And if we or our future robots find it, if it is more advanced than us it will probably exterminate us.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Yes Rene, there are millions and millions of planets out there perfectly suited for intelligent life to evolve.

And on many of them it probably has, and gone extinct again, possibly several times. And on many more, intelligent life may well evolve in a few 100 thousand years, or maybe 100s of millions of years.

But how many of them exist in this same geological instant as we? And how did they stumble across our little infinitesimal planet in this tiny corner of the galaxy?

I find it easier to believe the mind of man is fully capable of all the historical engineering feats we have discovered.
There’s definitely zero intelligent life forms in your orbit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I still haven't figured out exactly what this thread is about, but I did notice that Roger's spelling has improved some. In his title he actually got two of the five words spelled correctly. Yes, the correctly spelled words were 'and' as well as 'the', but I'm still calling that a south Texas win. Good job, dude!

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Morewood
i before e except after c.

And a before I in unexplained. wink

And a before I in aliens two. shocked

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 10gaugemag, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,680
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.