Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you are 75% white and 25% black I would think that you would just consider yourself white or whatever. It seems most consider themselves black ?? I don't get it is it so through life you can always have an excuse for whatever comes along. We didn't have a black person living in town till I was in junior high so I haven't grown up with blacks. Thoughts ...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
How to get the South to vote for a democrat.....just have the republican say that slavery was bad m'kay.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
VDH sounds like some of my wife’s relatives from Minnesota. There is an underlying self righteousness in their groveling love of Mr Lincoln.

The parallel that he draws on modern slavery has some merit but the perpetrators of the modern plantation are not Democrat only. Many republicans are just as guilty.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It’s the fallacy that the south was a semi feudal society. It wasn’t. Maybe in Tidewater Virginia where you had almost noble families going back to the 17th century, but not elsewhere. There were small farmers, tradesmen, teachers, lawyers, and everything else. It was a vibrant society.

As for being less industrialized than New England the answer to that is easy if you know how factories were powered before the 1850s. There is a reason all the gun companies and textile factories were in Connecticut and the like and it had nothing to do with the industriousness of the inhabitants or lack thereof.

Last edited by JoeBob; 09/15/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
VDH is captive to that foundational myth of our modern post-Constitutional republic that affects almost all neocons and everything he does ultimately comes back to it with these grotesquely contrived explanations. He is like medieval doctor trained in Hippocratic theory. He can see the disease. He knows the patient is mortally ill. But he will never be able to actually provide any truly insightful advice or help because his foundation is that all disease is caused by an imbalance in the four humors and every explanation starts and ends there even though it is complete bunk.

For guys like VDH, Abraham Lincoln represents the best in America and the antebellum south the worst. Thus, he always tries to tie every evil, every wrong back to that. And it’s all bunk. He couldn’t be more wrong. Every explanation is contrived and if it makes sense, it makes sense because because one accepts the flawed foundational myth.

For guys like VDH the union victory represented the triumph of the ideas of the American revolution. But in reality, it represents the end. It was the repudiation of the constitution and the constitutional process for emotion and perceived moral superiority.
Good post

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am gonna sidestep this pile of S H I T !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
We cain’t reed all that sheeitt grin

Right? It probably says something about stupid and crazy people being stupid and crazy, which of course, stupid, or crazy, people find highly offensive.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
VERY FEW understand the South...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_Angels

I have it on a thumb-drive if anyone would like a copy.

As for the OPs 154,000 word PhD dissertation... I didn't even read it.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Right? It probably says something about stupid and crazy people being stupid and crazy, which of course, stupid, or crazy, people find highly offensive.

Mr. Powell... Why do you exist?

My what means are you permitted to draw a breath?

Is there any purpose whatsoever for you remaining alive?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Read it many years ago....and one of his other books . Can't remember it.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by plumbum
HUNTSVILLE, AL–For the 135th straight year since Gen. Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox, representatives for the South announced Monday that the region has postponed plans to rise again.

[Linked Image from i.kinja-img.com]

Three of the estimated 45 million Southerners who have not yet risen up again

Tuesday 1:18PM

"Make no mistake, the South shall rise again," said Knox Pritchard, president of the Huntsville-based Alliance Of Confederate States. "But we're just not quite ready to do it now. Hopefully, we'll be able to rise again real soon, maybe even in 2001."

Pritchard's fellow Southerners shared his confidence.

"Yes, sir. The South will rise again, and when it does, I'll be right up front waving the Stars and Bars," said Dock Mullins of Decatur, GA. "But first, I gotta get my truck fixed and get that rusty old stove out of my yard."

"Lord willing, and the creek don't rise, we gonna rise again," said Sumter, SC, radiator technician Hap Slidell, who describes himself as "Southern by the grace of God." "I don't know exactly when we're gonna do it, but one of these days, we're gonna show them Yankees how it's done."

"Save your Confederate dollars," Slidell added. "You can bet on that."

The Deep South states of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, and Tennessee consistently rank at the bottom of the nation in a wide variety of statistical categories, including literacy, infant mortality, hospital beds, toilet-paper sales, and shoe usage. Even so, some experts believe the region could be poised for a renaissance.

The Kentucky State Capitol

"The way things stand, things in the Deep South almost have to get better. Otherwise, the people who live there will devolve into preverbal, overall-wearing sub-morons within a century," said Professor Dennis Lassiter of Princeton University. "Either Southerners will start improving themselves, or they'll be sold to middle-class Asians as pets."

"My constituents are decent, hard-working folk," said Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC), despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, in his 22nd annual "Next Year, By God!" speech on the steps of North Carolina's capitol building. "We are a proud people who mayn't have all that much fancy-pants book-learnin', but we live and die with pride in our proud heritage and the dignity of our forebears."

Helms' speech was met with nearly 25 minutes of enthusiastic hoots and rebel yells by the 15,000 drunk, unemployed tobacco pickers in attendance.

Though Southerners are overwhelmingly in favor of rising again, few were able to provide specific details of the rising-again process.

"I don't know, I reckon we'll build us a bunch of big, fancy buildins and pave us up a whole mess of roads," said Bobby Lee Fuller of Greenville, MS. "I ain't exactly sure where we're gonna get the money for that, but when Johnny Reb sets his mind to something, you best get out of his way."

"Oh, it'll happen, sure as the sun come up in the morning," said Buford Comstock, 26, a student at Over 'N' Back Diesel Driving School in Union City, TN. "The South is gonna rise up, just as soon as we get together and get all our [bleep] back in one sock. Then, look out, Northerners!"

"Yesiree," Comstock added, "one day soon, the Mason-Dixon Line will be the boundary between a great nation and one whose time done passed."

You do know that Huntsville Al has the highest percentage of people with a PHD in advanced sciences then any other area in the country.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CashisKing

S'ht...I don't know. To balance you and Maser I guess.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
We can argue back and forth about the Old South until the cows don't come home, we can debate the parallels of history ...endlessly, pointlessly, and never change anyone's mind. What most men of logic and reason can agree on, is the widening gulf or disparity between wealth and the rapidly dwindling former middle class. The boomers among us have lived it, it's our life experience. Compare a reasonably motivated young person in 1965, starting life, there is a very good chance he, no whiz genius, ended up owning his own home, had 2.2 kids, was able to send them to higher education (God help us, that was a mistake) and maybe the missus stayed home to make a home and raise the kids who turned out pretty well. The very definition of middle class. Fast forward to the same young man in 2005, motivated or not, he has to incur 102, 000 in college expenses before he earns a dime. Of course he's not married, he can't afford it. Of course he lives with his parents. Maybe his degree will eventually pay off but he is starting life with a huge debt load. The company that "may" hire him will dump his ass in a heartbeat for a cheaper worker with an H1B visa. Meanwhile the owner of the company he'd hope to work for is making billions, sees no reason for a middle class, detests, loathes and fears them actually. The owner lives insulated in preposterous unimaginable wealth in a fortress, buys politicians for chump change, flies to Davos and conspires to shape the world to his benefit. If anyone can point to an instance in history when the financial gulf between the unwashed and the elites has been sustainable for more than a couple generations, I'd like to be schooled. Lest you try to put me in the ranks of Marx and Engels with wealth redistribution...forget it, I am an avowed free marketer.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Stupid answer... try again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Stupid answer... try again.

Adios pendejo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s the fallacy that the south was a semi feudal society. It wasn’t. Maybe in Tidewater Virginia where you had almost noble families going back to the 17th century, but not elsewhere. There were small farmers, tradesmen, teachers, lawyers, and everything else. It was a vibrant society.

As for being less industrialized than New England the answer to that is easy if you know how factories were powered before the 1850s. There is a reason all the gun companies and textile factories were in Connecticut and the like and it had nothing to do with the industriousness of the inhabitants or lack thereof.

Absolutely.
We have seen how fast gun quality improved when Remington moved to the south. Marlin lines especially. The northern factories made junk with their new factories and CNC machines. Quality instantly improved in the south.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's no secret that the best and the brightest have always migrated from the masses.

Unfortunately, "the masses" now govern all.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by HawkI
VDH is captive to that foundational myth of our modern post-Constitutional republic that affects almost all neocons and everything he does ultimately comes back to it with these grotesquely contrived explanations. He is like medieval doctor trained in Hippocratic theory. He can see the disease. He knows the patient is mortally ill. But he will never be able to actually provide any truly insightful advice or help because his foundation is that all disease is caused by an imbalance in the four humors and every explanation starts and ends there even though it is complete bunk.

For guys like VDH, Abraham Lincoln represents the best in America and the antebellum south the worst. Thus, he always tries to tie every evil, every wrong back to that. And it’s all bunk. He couldn’t be more wrong. Every explanation is contrived and if it makes sense, it makes sense because because one accepts the flawed foundational myth.

For guys like VDH the union victory represented the triumph of the ideas of the American revolution. But in reality, it represents the end. It was the repudiation of the constitution and the constitutional process for emotion and perceived moral superiority.

The repudiation of the Constitution and the idea of states rights and perceived moral superiority was clear in the Dred Scott decision. Perhaps even earlier with John Adams.
When representative government represents a minority special interest and not the public at large, or has an un-Consitutional defense, it has a tendency to get more of the same in return.
The south got thrown under the bus and today the USA is being thrown under the bus by the democrats

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
We can argue back and forth about the Old South until the cows don't come home, we can debate the parallels of history ...endlessly, pointlessly, and never change anyone's mind. What most men of logic and reason can agree on, is the widening gulf or disparity between wealth and the rapidly dwindling former middle class. The boomers among us have lived it, it's our life experience. Compare a reasonably motivated young person in 1965, starting life, there is a very good chance he, no whiz genius, ended up owning his own home, had 2.2 kids, was able to send them to higher education (God help us, that was a mistake) and maybe the missus stayed home to make a home and raise the kids who turned out pretty well. The very definition of middle class. Fast forward to the same young man in 2005, motivated or not, he has to incur 102, 000 in college expenses before he earns a dime. Of course he's not married, he can't afford it. Of course he lives with his parents. Maybe his degree will eventually pay off but he is starting life with a huge debt load. The company that "may" hire him will dump his ass in a heartbeat for a cheaper worker with an H1B visa. Meanwhile the owner of the company he'd hope to work for is making billions, sees no reason for a middle class, detests, loathes and fears them actually. The owner lives insulated in preposterous unimaginable wealth in a fortress, buys politicians for chump change, flies to Davos and conspires to shape the world to his benefit. If anyone can point to an instance in history when the financial gulf between the unwashed and the elites has been sustainable for more than a couple generations, I'd like to be schooled. Lest you try to put me in the ranks of Marx and Engels with wealth redistribution...forget it, I am an avowed free marketer.
You seem pretty sharp for a NorCalbilly.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by plumbum
HUNTSVILLE, AL–For the 135th straight year since Gen. Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox, representatives for the South announced Monday that the region has postponed plans to rise again.

Three of the estimated 45 million Southerners who have not yet risen up again

Tuesday 1:18PM

"Make no mistake, the South shall rise again," said Knox Pritchard, president of the Huntsville-based Alliance Of Confederate States. "But we're just not quite ready to do it now. Hopefully, we'll be able to rise again real soon, maybe even in 2001."

Pritchard's fellow Southerners shared his confidence.

"Yes, sir. The South will rise again, and when it does, I'll be right up front waving the Stars and Bars," said Dock Mullins of Decatur, GA. "But first, I gotta get my truck fixed and get that rusty old stove out of my yard."

"Lord willing, and the creek don't rise, we gonna rise again," said Sumter, SC, radiator technician Hap Slidell, who describes himself as "Southern by the grace of God." "I don't know exactly when we're gonna do it, but one of these days, we're gonna show them Yankees how it's done."

"Save your Confederate dollars," Slidell added. "You can bet on that."

The Deep South states of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, and Tennessee consistently rank at the bottom of the nation in a wide variety of statistical categories, including literacy, infant mortality, hospital beds, toilet-paper sales, and shoe usage. Even so, some experts believe the region could be poised for a renaissance.

The Kentucky State Capitol

"The way things stand, things in the Deep South almost have to get better. Otherwise, the people who live there will devolve into preverbal, overall-wearing sub-morons within a century," said Professor Dennis Lassiter of Princeton University. "Either Southerners will start improving themselves, or they'll be sold to middle-class Asians as pets."

"My constituents are decent, hard-working folk," said Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC), despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, in his 22nd annual "Next Year, By God!" speech on the steps of North Carolina's capitol building. "We are a proud people who mayn't have all that much fancy-pants book-learnin', but we live and die with pride in our proud heritage and the dignity of our forebears."

Helms' speech was met with nearly 25 minutes of enthusiastic hoots and rebel yells by the 15,000 drunk, unemployed tobacco pickers in attendance.

Though Southerners are overwhelmingly in favor of rising again, few were able to provide specific details of the rising-again process.

"I don't know, I reckon we'll build us a bunch of big, fancy buildins and pave us up a whole mess of roads," said Bobby Lee Fuller of Greenville, MS. "I ain't exactly sure where we're gonna get the money for that, but when Johnny Reb sets his mind to something, you best get out of his way."

"Oh, it'll happen, sure as the sun come up in the morning," said Buford Comstock, 26, a student at Over 'N' Back Diesel Driving School in Union City, TN. "The South is gonna rise up, just as soon as we get together and get all our [bleep] back in one sock. Then, look out, Northerners!"

"Yesiree," Comstock added, "one day soon, the Mason-Dixon Line will be the boundary between a great nation and one whose time done passed."

You do know that Huntsville Al has the highest percentage of people with a PHD in advanced sciences then any other area in the country.

Tell The Onion, they wrote the parody. Heck, they might have picked Huntsville for that reason.

Last edited by plumbum; 09/15/22.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (1lesfox, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 47 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.