#17600804 09/13/22
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
I put a Burris RT6 on my M&P 15.

It has a fixed front sight.

I think I would like to have a different gas block so I could use a flip up front sight from Mag Pull....if I want to go back to "irons".

Is there any height considerations I need to know about or are they pretty universal? Rear sight is a Mag Pull MBUS.

Thanks.

Also, are there better options than the bird cage on the muzzle?

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had just removed my gas block from my RR predator pursuit which has the picatinny top, it's .750 matte black. Let me know if you're interested Jim

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I think I would like to have a different gas block so I could use a flip up front sight from Mag Pull....if I want to go back to "irons".

Is there any height considerations I need to know about or are they pretty universal? Rear sight is a Mag Pull MBUS.

Thanks.

Do you own a Dremel?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Thanks.

Do you own a Dremel?

I shaved the FSB on one of my Colt’s to fit a 15” hand guard. If yours is pinned it’s a good option.
As long as the rail on your hand guard is level with the one on your upper, you should be golden with a matched set of MBUS flip ups.

There’s better options for that flash hider. They’re called suppressors. Wait times are down and cheap options abound. Jump in the tax stamp game.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’d dremel it. If you do decide to replace it height only matters if you want to put a rail on it that is long enough that it extends over the gas block and needs to clear it.

The birdcage is a solid flash hider for the cost but what Jack said. If you have no suppressors start adding a few to the collection. A 22 rimfire, handgun, and centerfire general purpose 30 cal depending on your needs at minimum IMO. You’ll like em.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Wouldn't a suppressor and the stamp be worth more than I paid for the gun??

I must be about the only kid on my block without one.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Burns can hook you up dawg.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

It could be but you can obviously put it on multiple guns over decades of use and leave it to your kids when you’re gone. They’re well worth the money IMO. My first two suppressors were a Dead Air Nomad. I use it on everything from .308 Win, 6.5CM and 223 bolt guns to 5.56 AR’s. That and a Rugged Obsidian .45 cal bought at the same time that I use with a 45 ACP and 9mm’s.

I added a 22 rimfire and dedicated 9mm and PCC suppressors from there and would like to add a dedicated 5.56 suppressor but honestly a rimfire, pistol, and general purpose .30 cal rifle suppressor covers about everything that I use one for.

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
They are not caliber specific?

Does the performance degrade?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Raferman

Burns can hook you up dawg.

Yeah...but it would look like a rubber dong.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They are not caliber specific?

Does the performance degrade?
.30 cal covers anything .30 and under. It degrades slightly with smaller calibers everything else being equal but not by very much. It’s just like guns. It’s fun to buy a bunch and really fine tune one for every purpose that you can dream up but realistically a few will cover a whole lot of bases.

Do it! All of the cool kids are doing it and even a few of us dorks😂

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Maybe I should.

I am just kind of getting into the AR platform. I bought a DPMS Sportical when the AWB ended...and my Gunsmith friend built me a 221 as a surprise.

Pretty new to all of it. A M4 style carbine with the factory furniture is like Kryptonite to me.

Add some Mag Pull stuff to it....and I really like it!

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's compensators. Not sure of the gallery's opinion of them? Been putting them on a few. Might lessen muzzle rise a bit. From wayy cheap KAK units for under $10 to lots more $$. A muzzle shim kit is good to have on hand to time them as well as high heat thread lock. YRMV

A suppressor brings a lot of joy, that is for certain! Something like a SilencerCo Hybrid 46 would be super versatile.

If anything, you may as well go free-float railed handguard if you are going to ditch the front sight base type GB? Depending on your end goal.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jim,

The suppressor like others have stated is a good thing to have. You will need a specific muzzle device for your suppressor and the Surefire 3 Prong seems to be the standard as a flash hider and suppressor mount.

LastLemming hit the nail on the head. A good 30 cal suppressor will cover everything up to that size and will be capable of being moved between guns. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned regarding suppressor performance is the muzzle flash reduction. Of course a suppressor is meant to reduce muzzle blast which can be good for a few reasons, but suppressing your muzzle flash is another very real benefit they provide. Some are better at that than others, so do your research if these things matter to you.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
My early cans were Thunderbeast...

They have a Brake Assist model... brake stays on the weapon.

I made a bunch of spare brakes (and leave them on various weapons (.223 thru .30 cal)).

It is a solution, but nothing special. I have moved away from TB. I support Lane of Wyoming 100% now... GREAT FOLKS!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (308ld, 35, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.