Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My wife and I plan to move to Arkansas in a couple weeks. I am looking for some advice on the best/easiest/cheapest way to do it. We have a Kia Sorento and a Chevy Silverado and enough household goods to fill a large UHAUL truck as well as a 95 pound red lab. I had been thinking about driving a UHAUL truck back and having my wife drive the pickup with the bed loaded up with various items and then having her fly back to get the car and dog but she suggested maybe having the Chevy shipped back to Arkansas. Problem is that I need to have the bed of the Chevy loaded so that the other stuff will fit in the UHAUL and one of the items going in the bed is our chest freezer which I figured on trying to plug in each night at the hotel. A shipper would not likely do that I am guessing.

Anyway hoping some of you might have some bright ideas for me to consider.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tow the car behind the uhaul. And Penske trucks were far better than uhaul when I moved, but that was quite a while ago.

Last edited by K1500; 09/18/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 for Penske. U-Haul sucks.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's a long haul from Oregon to Arkansas. Over 2,000 miles I believe. Be very careful at truck stops, rest stops, and at motels/hotels at night. Lots of thieves and bandits looking for the opportunity to steal your goods, especially at night when you are asleep and usually, exhausted.

I wish you and your wife the best of luck and a safe, UNEVENTFUL journey.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I raced a toyota Yaris when I had a 20 footer last month

My advice: do you any friends that could drive one of vehicles full of stuff? Fly them back

I have several that could do it, ext family membs too

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sell everything you can, give away what doesn't sell, burn the rest.

Arkansas has freezers, Chevy's, and Kia's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shipping is pretty tight right now. It might be a longer wait and higher cost than you are prepared for to ship the truck. I'd put the Kia on a trailer behind the Uhaul and have the wife drive the truck.

Having moved many times, I agree with sell what you can and burn what you can't give away and don't need.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pack the freezer with dry ice, all you can get it to hold, and duct tape all the seams tight. Back in 1980 we took a week getting from California to Tennessee, and still had stuff in the freezer frozen rock hard when we arrived. I was driving a 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood and towing an 18 foot 3-axle trailer, and my wife was driving a 59 Chevy Suburban and towing a Datsun station wagon. The Caddy and trailer weighed 16,700 pounds at a certified truck scale. The dry ice was gone, but the food stayed frozen. We were only able to plug in the box twice in 6 days, I believe. Sell the KIA (Killed In Action), tow the pickup behind the rental truck, and buy a real car when you get settled in.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Towing the car would be a good idea except that the dog will have to go in the back of the car and we wouldn't leave him back there like that.

When we moves from Michigan to Oregon we towed a UHAUL 6×12 trailers behind each vehicle but we have more stuff now which includes 2 Lazy Boy recliners. Both trailers were packed full. We had already gotten rid of a bunch of stuff before leaving Michigan.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Rent a big enough moving truck to put most everything in it. Lockit in there. tow the car on a dolly and let your wife drive the pickup. That way you don't have visible goods for someone to steal when you stop to sleep. Anything in a car or back of the pickup would be fair game for methheads while you are parked. Locked up in the moving truck it is unknown and not worth the chance for someone to break into it.

IC B3

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Another complication that I should have mentioned before is that we will need to store most of our stuff in a storage unit when we get to Arkansas since we haven't found a house to buy yet and will be renting a place.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
On our last move we used PODS. Worked out well.

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The main concern about having our dog in the car being towed on a trailer is temperature control. We wouldn't want it to get too hot for him. I don't think it would be a good idea to have the engine idling all day in order to have the air conditioner on. Does anyone know if that would be a problem? While it won't likely be very hot in early October it sure tends to warm up inside a car.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Pods are a good idea. Look into those.
Sell the Kia if you don’t need it.
Pull a uhaul trailer with essentials you don’t want damaged behind the Silverado.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I was driving a 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood and towing an 18 foot 3-axle trailer,

The vision of this is hilarious! Probably took you a half an hour to clear an intersection! lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rufous
Another complication that I should have mentioned before is that we will need to store most of our stuff in a storage unit when we get to Arkansas since we haven't found a house to buy yet and will be renting a place.

Start looking for Storage, it seems it, like everything else is in short supply.

The dog complicates the move, running the AC on the KIA? I wouldn't do it, crack the windows and roll-out.
Wouldn't be surprised if someone called the cops about the dog riding in a towed car.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Rent a big enough moving truck to put most everything in it. Lockit in there. tow the car on a dolly and let your wife drive the pickup. That way you don't have visible goods for someone to steal when you stop to sleep. Anything in a car or back of the pickup would be fair game for methheads while you are parked. Locked up in the moving truck it is unknown and not worth the chance for someone to break into it.
Solid advice....

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not sure how big your freezer is, but, we used a chest freezer plugged in to a 2K watt Honda generator to bring home our moose from Alberta. We ran it during the day while driving and shut it down @ the hotel for the one overnight.

Put a couple sheets or blankets on the passenger's seat of the pickup and let doggie keep momma company.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Pods are a good idea. Look into those.
Sell the Kia if you don’t need it.
Pull a uhaul trailer with essentials you don’t want damaged behind the Silverado.
this is what my buddy did when they moved from PA back here to CC texas.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Leave the wife and Kia in OR. Pack the dog, guns, in the truck and move to Arkansas.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 55 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,816
Posts18,496,463
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.