Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudge
Shoot 79S, when I was down in Arkansas last month the only thing I saw cheaper was gasoline and property taxes. Sales tax is 10% in some areas and fast food has an 11.75% sales tax on it in places. Housing in C. AR is relatively small, so a comparable house to what I have here is only about $25-$40K cheaper now. When we first moved here, housing in AK was a lot more expensive. My mom was looking to build a small new house, $170 a sq Ft is the going rate now.
Seeing as how my job pays less, I’ll stay here for the time being. Heck I had to go to Wal-Mart to get some groceries, milk without tax was higher than the Wal-Mart here and the meat all about the same price.

Yeah, people get the idea life in Arkansas is cheap. It is in some areas. Not so much in others. You get Arkansas wages regardless of which area you live in. Houses in NWA are going at $200/sq ft now. Not bad for some parts of the country, but damn high for Arkansas.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Arkansas has the highest taxes in the south. Depending on the town Housing is less than many places. It is high here but I own my home I bought 30 years ago. It was reasonable then. It was 100 degrees here most of the afternoon. Will be the same tomorrow then a cold front.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nearly all of towns, even the small ones have a very high sales tax. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rufous
Some of you guys are helpful. I appreciate that. Others are straight up [bleep]. Some think I must be made of money- just throw or give your stuff away they say, buy it again in Arkansas at these inflated prices with sales tax added on top. I figure I know how to throw away, sell and give away stuff. I did that before moving to Michigan from Walla Walla, WA and again before moving from Michigan to Oregon. We do not have a lot of stuff left but still enough to pretty well fill a Uhaul or Penske truck. I guess I should give or throw away my bear rug, cougar rug, several guns, lots of ammo and reloading supplies, several cases of wine and on and on. Give me some credit guys. We will figure it out. Again, I do appreciate the helpful responses as always.

I've moved myself and my family more than once.

Your saving the Hot Pockets and Totinos by plugging in at hotels is the most Oregon schit I've ever read.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check out ABF U-Pack.
https://www.upack.com/

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Moved from Austin to Ohio 20 years ago

Had two full size U-Haul trucks worth of stuff and a truck in tow with the bed full.

Flew a buddy in to help me load and drive one of the trucks. Let the wife and kids take the car and go to a relatives house until the moving was done.

Afterwards, I built him a computer for helping me out.

The cost of the airline ticket, hotel and computer was nothing compared to the labor, convenience and peace of mind, plus I got to hang out with a friend who I hadn't seen in awhile. I get the desire to go on the cheap, but Beverly Hillbillying it is alot of stress and pain.

[Linked Image from clickamericana.com]

Last edited by KFWA; 09/21/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Pugs
Anyway hoping some of you might have some bright ideas for me to consider.

Consider giving one of the large moving companies a call. International and American are the two highest rated. We're planning our move in January and I've been surprised at how reasonable the quotes have been for packing and shipping a three bedroom house, garage and workshop. This will be move number 18 in my life and I'm perfectly happy not to touch another box and really happy not to move a whole lot of stationary woodworking equipment.

You may be late in the game for them but they may have a partial load going that direction, or an empty truck leaving Oregon that needs a load so worth a call.

Yeah?

What were the quotes?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Fortunately my salary is going up by 81.8% and the homes in that area of Arkansas are much less than they are here in Roseburg. Plus full benefits in Arkansas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fortunately my salary is going up by 81.8% and the homes in that area of Arkansas are much less than they are here in Roseburg. Plus full benefits in Arkansas.

That’s great to hear. Let me know when you are settled and I’ll give you a tour of the area from the air if you want.

R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
That would be neat Kodiak. It looks like you spend time in many states. When are you in Arkansas?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That would be neat Kodiak. It looks like you spend time in many states. When are you in Arkansas?

Most of the time now. I'm looking for retirement property on Bull Shoals Lake in North central Arkansas.
I fly to Byrds Adventure Center about every other month for breakfast, which is just north of where you are headed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by Hudge
Shoot 79S, when I was down in Arkansas last month the only thing I saw cheaper was gasoline and property taxes. Sales tax is 10% in some areas and fast food has an 11.75% sales tax on it in places. Housing in C. AR is relatively small, so a comparable house to what I have here is only about $25-$40K cheaper now. When we first moved here, housing in AK was a lot more expensive. My mom was looking to build a small new house, $170 a sq Ft is the going rate now.
Seeing as how my job pays less, I’ll stay here for the time being. Heck I had to go to Wal-Mart to get some groceries, milk without tax was higher than the Wal-Mart here and the meat all about the same price.

Yeah, people get the idea life in Arkansas is cheap. It is in some areas. Not so much in others. You get Arkansas wages regardless of which area you live in. Houses in NWA are going at $200/sq ft now. Not bad for some parts of the country, but damn high for Arkansas.

I will admit, you can still find some deals on land in AR. If the right place came along I’d be tempted to buy it. I know real estate is hot in AR at the moment, my wife and I got contacted today asking to sell my mother’s house. My mom is buying a new to her house, but her’s is not on the market.

R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Byrd's sounds like a fun place.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Pugs
Anyway hoping some of you might have some bright ideas for me to consider.

Consider giving one of the large moving companies a call. International and American are the two highest rated. We're planning our move in January and I've been surprised at how reasonable the quotes have been for packing and shipping a three bedroom house, garage and workshop. This will be move number 18 in my life and I'm perfectly happy not to touch another box and really happy not to move a whole lot of stationary woodworking equipment.

You may be late in the game for them but they may have a partial load going that direction, or an empty truck leaving Oregon that needs a load so worth a call.

Yeah?

What were the quotes?

Apologies for the delay - Been in Alberta duck hunting - It's about 600 mile move and International quoted $8700 and American $9200. International does it by weight and American by volume. Both quotes included all packing and boxes, except the stuff you'd expect they don't handle like ammo/powder/liquids etc. On both they will buy back any boxes if they overestimated. That's about 1/3 the price of a similar move in the summer.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
We have decided to rent a Penske truck with a trailer. We will put our car on the trailer and tow it. Cost for the Penske truck and trailer will be about $5700 plus fuel.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
We have decided to rent a Penske truck with a trailer. We will put our car on the trailer and tow it. Cost for the Penske truck and trailer will be about $5700 plus fuel.
Damn

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Well we have arrived. After 4 days of driving and 2204 miles we are here and praise God the stuff in our freezer stayed frozen. We lucked out and were able to plug it in each night. No mishaps along the way thankfully.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well we have arrived. After 4 days of driving and 2204 miles we are here and praise God the stuff in our freezer stayed frozen. We lucked out and were able to plug it in each night. No mishaps along the way thankfully.
Congrats on getting it done.

Now, enjoy the new life.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ol_mike
People and dogs lived for a decade without AC

Only a decade? If one’s life expectancy without air conditioning is a decade then I’d say that air conditioning is an important invention for mankind. I mean how many discoveries and inventions were made by kids 10 and under? 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats and welcome to Arkansas ! ! !

Drop me a PM if you have any questions I might be able to answer.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,660
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.