Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
One day at a racquet ball court this guy asked if I wanted to play. Said yes, and we played 3 or 4 games. He was new at the game and I beat him. He then asked if we could play again and I said sure. He was cut built and athletic. The next time I started to think where do I know this guy? Beat him again and he asked to play again. Eventually his name clicked and I knew who he was. Short story was he kept getting better quick and eventually beat me. He said "Finally, how about a beer to celebrate?"

So we had a couple and talked some. He finally asked, "Do you know who I am?" I replied yes. Then he mentioned, "I go out to dinner or on the town, and often wish I could just relax without people coming up to me. And after you said nothing for a month or so, it resulted in something different. I was worrying that I wasn't that well known." I said, I figured if you wanted to let me know you would have mentioned it. He just shook his head and laughed.

The guy was a well known starter for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Back in the day.........there was a local redneck bar/dance hall that a bunch of the Steelers would frequent because they didn't get mobbed when they were 50 miles out in the boonies like they did closer the city. A couple of them hunted ducks on the same beaver pond as me, too. One in particular, was actually a deputy game warden in my county and a friend of a friend. First time I met him, I couldn't believe his size. He was a skinny little dude !!! Kinda shattered all the stories I'd heard about how badazz he was.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, he was a prick and eventually was dismissed from his Deputy Game Warden duties for the same by PO'ing off a landowner who owned thousands of acres that he left open to hunting. Our home counties must be close. I'm originally from Armstrong. His football rep is legend, and he was bad ass. His local post career rep not so much.

Last edited by battue; 10/03/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I met Charles Bronson's daughter, looks just like him!

I'm told I look a lot like Terry Bradshaw, must be true! I took my son, and a couple of his friends, to a skateboard camp in central PA. On the way back, I stopped for gas and something to eat. People kept asking me if I was TB. And then at a Japanese Steak Houseone time, the chef kept looking at me while he was making all our dinners. He finally said, with a heavy Japanese accent, you look like Terry Bradshaw!

All that and still a couple bucks for a cup of coffee!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
None of them in Bradshaw's days made the money they do now. He made up for it in his post career. Breeds championship Quarter horses, well known on Monday night football, had his own reality tv show, tv commercials, etc. Bradshaw comes off as a country bumpkin, but he is the country fox.

He was called dumb when he first started out here in Pittsburgh. We all should be so dumb.

Last edited by battue; 10/03/22.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I met skater Scott Hamilton and got to party back stage with Joan Jett. I've met Joe Foss, Greg "Pappy" Boyington and Flying Tiger Tex Hill. I waived to Ronald Reagn and he waived back at Bicentennial of the Battle of Yorktown in 1981. I've met Rob Leatham and Brian Enos. And my parents knew Elvis - does that count?

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/03/22.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Was hunting quail on Cascade Ranch (central California San Mateo County) and my German shorthair Dotti went on point. Walked up and on the flush got three for three with a 20 gauge Browning Auto 5. Guy was clean across the meadow from me but walked all the way over to congradulate me on what a fine dog I had and how well I shot. He had a lab that was being trained at the Crooks kennels on the ranch and had his son with him. It was Bing Crosby and he asked if I might hunt with him for a bit as he wasn't hitting very well and wanted his lab to get to retrieve a couple of quail. He offered to let me use his shotgun if I wanted to. I told him no way, and he chuckled and asked me why not> It was a Browning Midas grade 28 gauge over and under and I told him I wouldn't be able to give it back to him. Anyway, we hunted a bit but hunting a fine German shorthair pointer with a Hard charging Lab just didn't work out well. He was a real gentlemen though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, he was a prick and eventually was dismissed from his Deputy Game Warden duties for the same by PO'ing off a landowner who owned thousands of acres that he left open to hunting. Our home counties must be close. I'm originally from Armstrong. His football rep is legend, and he was bad ass. His local post career rep not so much.

Same guy.

Lol !!! Some day we need to talk. Tell ya a heartwarming story of him at said bar/dance hall. Him and a local farm boy.......

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by LFC
So you an Uncle Ted got intimate in his hotel roOm

And, THIS, folks.................is why first cousins shouldn't marry.

The laughing stock of the turkey forum............. The laughing stock of the turkey callmaker world............. And, NO DOUBT the laughing stock of his own family. Yet he doesn't see the hole he's standing in. He JUST KEEPS A DIGGIN"............. grin
I'm laughing all the way to the bAnk coffee bOy...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure you are, Luther.

Keep digging, buddy. Keep digging.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I thought this thread was about turkey legends not about your skool boy travels....just saying.

IC B3

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Wanna hear something funny Donny....I'm probably the only callmaker out there to ever made Rob Keck and Carl Brown pay for one of their calls....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Same guy.

Lol !!! Some day we need to talk. Tell ya a heartwarming story of him at said bar/dance hall. Him and a local farm boy.......

If by chance was a pool cue involved?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Same guy.

Not that I'm aware of.

But the hood of a car was.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
You spend time in his hotel roOm too Donny ?

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by coyote268
Was hunting quail on Cascade Ranch (central California San Mateo County) and my German shorthair Dotti went on point. Walked up and on the flush got three for three with a 20 gauge Browning Auto 5. Guy was clean across the meadow from me but walked all the way over to congradulate me on what a fine dog I had and how well I shot. He had a lab that was being trained at the Crooks kennels on the ranch and had his son with him. It was Bing Crosby and he asked if I might hunt with him for a bit as he wasn't hitting very well and wanted his lab to get to retrieve a couple of quail. He offered to let me use his shotgun if I wanted to. I told him no way, and he chuckled and asked me why not> It was a Browning Midas grade 28 gauge over and under and I told him I wouldn't be able to give it back to him. Anyway, we hunted a bit but hunting a fine German shorthair pointer with a Hard charging Lab just didn't work out well. He was a real gentlemen though.

A hunt ro remember.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're like the 5 year old in an adult discussion, Luther.

Gonna start making poop jokes next ??

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

There he goes with the gay innuendos, again. What the hell, man.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Same guy.

Not that I'm aware of.

But the hood of a car was.

There are a variety of stories of what supposedly happened in multiple joints going N on 66. So it is questionable if it is urban myth. What isn’t, is he was known to have been obnoxious and played the hard ass role in public places. And you can be sure one of the farm, or coal minors, would have been more than willing.

Last edited by battue; 10/04/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by LFC

There he goes with the gay innuendos, again. What the hell, man.

I think we know. 🙄

Not hard math to do.......... 😏

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's just weird. I think it's Freudian.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1936M71, 2500HD, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.