Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Will glysophate kill a large white crepe myrtle tree if applied after the tree is cut to stump?

What other chemical options are available? I cannot burn it or grind it because it was planted too close to the house.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It will.

But it'll work better if you mix it with some diesel.

Then cover the stump up with a bucket or something.

The sooner you treat the stump after cutting the better. Fresh cut will carry more herbicide to the roots.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It probably would kill it at that spot but I think they can spread from root runners. I am seeing a lot of sprouts around some of mine. Either it is that or seed sprouts. Not 100% sure. I would just spray the sprouts too if you get them.

Last edited by GAGoober; 09/23/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've had good luck with anything containing Triclopyr. The last one I used was this stuff from Home Depot. It worked well on shoots coming from some hybrid poplars I'd taken out.
This photo is a diluted ready to use version. They also carry a concentrate which is the one you want. Paint it on full strength.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It will if you use at least 41% glyphosate and apply undiluted to a freshly cut stump that has been cut close to the ground. I've killed all sorts of fence row saplings, privet hedge, and bradford pear using that method. I even killed the main tuber of a kudzu patch once I found it. I use the store brand from Tractor Supply, but other generic glyphosate should work as long as it's at least 41%. No additives needed. It will even work when trees have lost their leaves and you might think the roots are inactive, but they're not. Might not work when it's really cold or the ground is frozen, but that doesn't happen very often in TN.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tordon RTU is what you want. Apply to the stump right after you cut it. If it's been cut awhile rough up the outer rim of the stump before applying.

Last edited by JLWilson; 09/23/22.

Christopher Columbus, the greatest Democrat of them all.

He left not knowing where he was going, and when he got there he did not know where he was. He returned not knowing where he had been, and did it all on someone else's money.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBB15
What other chemical options are available?

Tordon

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You may kill the stump, but you will fight suckers coming up 20ft out in the yard from it for years to come, that being said, if in grass, simply mow over them...but you will continue to fight them in flower beds.

I feel your pain, people plant them too close to houses not realizing how big they can get.

Last edited by killerv; 09/23/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by killerv
You may kill the stump, but you will fight suckers coming up 20ft out in the yard from it for years to come, that being said, if in grass, simply mow over them...but you will continue to fight them in flower beds.

I feel your pain, people plant them too close to houses not realizing how big they can get.
The Triclopyr I mentioned deals with those. Mix a little in a pan 50-50 with water, then use a $1 chipping brush to slap it on the leaves. They'll wilt within a day and won't come back.
Those roots can be a real pain. I took out some hybrid poplars 2 years ago and they're still coming back way away from where the stumps were. Keep at it. The roots will eventually starve out if you can keep the leaves killed off so it doesn't get any nutrition.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Mix diesel with it, kills juniper and that wild plum crap at the deer lease, ought to kill a crepe myrtle easy.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Another vote for Tordon
Gonna use some today.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What will work on a Bougainvillea, without killing the tree that grew up through the bush?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CBB15
Will glysophate kill a large white crepe myrtle tree if applied after the tree is cut to stump?

What other chemical options are available? I cannot burn it or grind it because it was planted too close to the house.

Yes...

Apply stronger than normal.

In fact... do this on all cut trees and the stump will rot 50% faster as well.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Cross hatch the hell out of the flat and make a bowl in the heart wood about 2 or 3" below the bottom of the cross hatch with a chain saw.
Then let that mofoing roof ball have a drink of whatever you use for 2 or 3 days running.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Cut the tree, drill several 1/2" or bigger holes in the stump and use any of the above.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Fall is a great time to hit it would gly-phos

As all business is returning to the roots for winter shutdown, daub that fresh cut stumping with 41% el cheapo generic glyphosphate.

I’m essentially saying what 91 other posters are saying. I’ll pretending I’m a doofus that doesn’t read all of the other replies before spouting off

…but to note, we use hack and squirt to kill medium sized trees with a similar method. Almost like girdling a tree

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
[quote=arky65]Cut the tree, drill several 1/2" or bigger holes in the stump and use any of the above.[/

This… drill holes in stump and fill with juice, watch die.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
glysophate causes cancer. It's called the farmer's disease.

I would grind down as far as you can, then use 45% Pure Vinegar - Concentrated Industrial Grade. At least 2 gallons.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty

I would grind down as far as you can, then use 45% Pure Vinegar - Concentrated Industrial Grade. At least 2 gallons.

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love thou dost in us command.
We see thee rising fair, dear land,
The True North, strong and free;
And stand on guard, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty

Haha

I love those commercials….

“Possibly linked to cancer”

They can’t prove it, but pay up sucka…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.