Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hi hatari, another fun movie was North to Alaska. If you recall the actress Capucine who was the Love Interest, in the movie. Good actress and another Hottie, she also had a tragic ending, committed Suicide by jumping off of her apartment balcony.

In Alberta Canada where I am from, the government put a moratorium on killing Grizzles years ago, the population is out of control now, and every year someone gets killed, usually a bowhunter.

When I am in Grizz country bow hunting elk or fishing I always have a Mossy 88 Maverick with a 18" barrel strapped to my back loaded with 3 finishing rounds of OO Buckshot and the first two rounds of 3" Mags of Federal Express High Shok Slugs.

I have done a lot of research on how you die during a Grizz attack and based on forensic analysis, you get eaten alive, slowly. I would rather be killed by a shark. I never go into bear country unless I am well armed and prepared for the worst outcome!

Being taken out by a Lion, a Tiger or a Grizz, is the worst possible way to go, IMO!

If I do make it to Africa, these are the rounds I am taking with my 300 Win Mag. Premium for sure and highly effective. ABLR in 180gr. Because my rifle loves them, lots of energy and velocity.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/05/22.

KB

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RinB;
Good almost evening to you sir, I trust the day was a good one for you and you're well.

Thanks for the thread, it's been educational for the most part on a subject that's interested me for a lot of years now.

My condolences to the family and friends of Mr. De Bruyn who are left behind.

For reference as to my personal connection with the topic, I believe I met the late Bob Fontana at a sheep conference one time in the late '80's. He was killed in Tanzania in 2004 by what was described as an unprovoked charge. They never did find the buffalo which did it so can only speculate as to the cause.

Further back than that, when my family were visiting family friends in Kenya in 1975, I got to know the two boys better, one which was a year older than me and one a year younger.

Though I'd truly lost track of them and they me no doubt, about 20 years back the younger brother was hit by a buffalo which very nearly killed him.

Interestingly when I wrote about the story here on the 'Fire, at that time there was a poster who went by Zambian and when we PM'd, he did it via a sat phone very close to where the attack had happened, knew that brother a wee bit and then knew the other brother as a taxidermist in Lusaka near where he lived.

All that to say sometimes the world seems very small anymore.

Oh, I was present when what was described as a pretty good buffalo was shot on that Kenya trip too, but it died quickly without drama.

All the best and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pete, the PH I did my first buffalo hunt with made an excellent point during the hunt. A LOT of buffalo clients are older because they can't afford to go until then. They may have hunted some, but rarely with a rifle that kicks as much as even a minimum buffalo chambering, such as the .375 H&H--and due to hearing so many tales of "unkillable" buffalo they may bring a rifle that kicks a LOT harder. So they don't practice much before they head over.

They're often in not great hiking shape, and all the time they're tracking buffalo over hill and dale, they're thinking about the stories they've heard. As my PH said, "By the time they actually get a shot, they're equally scared of the buffalo and their rifle! It's no wonder quite a few botch the shot."
Interesting observation.
I know quite a few hunters that have killed Cape Buffalo from here. People I know very well, many are past their physical prime.
The best hunter of all of them all, however was killed by a wounded buff as he was hunting African antelope in 2005.
This guy was a relative, an outfitter of some reknown and had a reputation for his Spring Grizzly hunts, which I witnessed at times.I also worked and hunted with him.
He used to say" Someday, I am going to get it" . Well, that summer, a wounded buff ( wounded by a poacher) came out of the tall grass and took Bob out.
A sad day that continues to bother me.
My respects to this family too.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tall thick grass is the scariest stuff of all!

One time I shot at a deer at long range in a cut block on a trail that from my vantage point what looked like grass on both sides of the trail, I was up on a higher elevation.

I was not sure if I hit him but doing the ethical thing, I walked down the logging truck trail and the further down the path I got, the higher and thicker grass became, when I got to the location where the deer was the grass was at least 7' tall and very thick.

I followed his tracks right off of the trail and into the grass for about 5 yards and then saw a huge pile of very fresh Grizz poop, at that point the visibility in all directions was about 1 foot.

I backed out quicky, there are some things that are not worth doing. Meeting a Grizz in that grass would not have been healthy to say the least!

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/06/22.

KB

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I know the guy that ended up killing the buffalo in question.
Backstory on it was two buffs had been fighting, one had gotten his ass ripped open by the other. After the fight, the two men went to put the injured bull down and the victorious bull returned and pinned the one man to a tree, killing him.
That bull was subsequently killed by a hunter from Pennsylvania (J.B.) with the deceased man's son by his side.

Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member Safari Club International
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Two hits with a 416 Rigby had him down for good.

This one took only one across the right front leg, on into the heart.

The one that got me was the other hunter's bull and took a bunch of killing.

Bud those are some great buff!! Nicely done.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think if a broadside shot presented itself at 35 yards, the heart would not be a best choice for Cape Buff. It's not IF they die, it's WHEN. Also, full respect to just how difficult the battle with adrenaline would be.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Tall thick grass is the scariest stuff of all!

One time I shot at a deer at long range in a cut block on a trail that from my vantage point what looked like grass on both sides of the trail, I was up on a higher elevation.

I was not sure if I hit him but doing the ethical thing, I walked down the logging truck trail and the further down the path I got, the higher and thicker grass became, when I got to the location where the deer was the grass was at least 7' tall and very thick.

I followed his tracks right off of the trail and into the grass for about 5 yards and then saw a huge pile of very fresh Grizz poop, at that point the visibility in all directions was about 1 foot.

I backed out quicky, there are some things that are not worth doing. Meeting a Grizz in that grass would not have been healthy to say the least!

What state is this in KB?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not a State, it was in a Province in Canada called Alberta, the government put a moratorium on killing Grizzlies and now there are way too many, IMO

KB

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by KillerBee
My only question is, why do they let bowhunters hunt them with bows? Not that I ever want to do that, because I do not have a Black Death wish! lol

Just got back from the Save last Saturday. 30 y spot & stalk, not no SA ground blind BS.

You're at an advantage with a bow as once you've sneaked up on them, they don't know what hit 'em. We got in close, had a few stare down sessions. He accepted us and once hit, he didn't know what happened. 40 y later he fell, bellowed and died.

I never really was interested in hunting buff. My first one was for lion bait, didn't really care. Second one was an add on to an ele with a double. That was fun getting to within 40 y.

This last hunt we made several stalks before we got busted, some within 15 y and could bear them feeding. The most exciting hunt I've ever had. Shooting stuff with a scoped rifle has lost my interest, especially in NA.

I'll never go back to Africa with a scoped rifle and plan on doing nothing but hunt buff with a bow till I can't walk.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great video, I was only joking I have been Bow Hunting since the early 80's. It's AWESOME

KB

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.