Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I would have used it. Mixed it with all the Varget I had on hand and forgot it.

I'm not smart enough to chance it so I only have one powder out at a time on the bench when loading.
+1 ....I only have one powder at a time on my bench when reloading, I think this is a very good practice for a dumbass like me 😁...Hb

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Current powder shortages, I wouldn't have dumped it. Don't red line it on velocity and it would have worked just fine...

hopefully the compost pile enjoyed it tho.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I would have used it. Mixed it with all the Varget I had on hand and forgot it.

I'm not smart enough to chance it so I only have one powder out at a time on the bench when loading.
+1 ....I only have one powder at a time on my bench when reloading, I think this is a very good practice for a dumbass like me 😁...Hb

Must be a SW Va thing in attitude... My roots and family are from SW VA and SE WVa.

I only have one powder open on the bench at any one time..

I also seat a bullet, after charging a case, before moving onto the next one.

Eliminate overcharging, when distracted by the wife... " oh honey can you help me RIGHT NOW.. it'll only take a second.." when she does that, I dump the powder back into the container, turn the case upside down, so I know where I was when I return...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I always, always, always triple check my charged cases in the loading block with a flashlight, even if the powder fills the case, and especially so when I'm loading greatly reduced charges. A protocol that's kept me out of emergency rooms. There were times when I seated a bullet straight from going from the powder measure and I asked myself "did I really drop a powder charge into this one?"

And yes, one powder can on the bench at a time.

I'm not normally a very anal person, far from it in fact, but these are protocols that I strictly adhere to.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/29/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Cshitcan it

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There are old reloaders and bold reloaders. Ever wonder why there aren't any old, bold reloaders?

Medics bury their mistakes..
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've definitely had a few incidents, and I am safer these days with this stuff than in my younger years. The only time I can remember spilling any powder was somehow some bulleye pistol powder ended up in the coke I was drinking. I drank it right down powder and all. This could explain some of my views. However, a little 4320 mixed in with the Varget wouldn't even register. I should take a close up photo of both powder types and post it in this thread.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I've definitely had a few incidents, and I am safer these days with this stuff than in my younger years. The only time I can remember spilling any powder was somehow some bulleye pistol powder ended up in the coke I was drinking. I drank it right down powder and all. This could explain some of my views. However, a little 4320 mixed in with the Varget wouldn't even register. I should take a close up photo of both powder types and post it in this thread.

Just a few more farts, huh? 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A little old, but at less than 5%, powder with a slower rate, yes I’d use it up. If desired, mark the container for less than max loads.

You could even mix it, then mix that lb again, get it down to 2% of the 4320. I can usually kill stuff just fine with mid-range loads, so there’s that.

No I’m not flippant about reloading safety, never had a mishap since starting in the 70’s.

Yes I know, the powder in question has been disposed of.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Could have been the most accurate powder tested, and easy to copy if you did in fact know the exact amount of each.

Mixing powder is fun. I put a little Bullseye in with the Retumbo to give it a little kick start for cold weather hunting.........just kidding!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dinny
There are old reloaders and bold reloaders. Ever wonder why there aren't any old, bold reloaders?

Using this mixed powder would have been far from bold, with just a modicum of common sense mixed in (no pun intended).

I performed my first powder mix (Green Dot and Unique) in 1974...and I am still here, lol.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.