Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I hit one at about 35 MPH several years ago. Hit the front bumper and killed it. I was expecting a little damage but there was only a bit of goo on the bumper.

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yup

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never hit one ,but drove past a bunch that were eating roadkill .when the flock got up one managed to take a dump allover the windshield and roof of the car ,had to stop at the first place I could and hose it off then to the car wash for a major cleaning ,stinkyest plie ever ,still can make me want to gag just thinking about it.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
RiverRider is making me reconsider putting off a new windshield on my F-150 any longer. During the TX freeze in 21 my windshield developed two cracks that go all the way across and are joined by vertical crack too. They are low on the windshield so I mostly
Look over them but it likely wouldn’t take much of an impact to allow cabin intrusion.

The largest thing I’ve hit with a windshield was a hen pheasant - can’t imagine the thump from a big old buzzard.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Never hit one ,but drove past a bunch that were eating roadkill .when the flock got up one managed to take a dump allover the windshield and roof of the car ,had to stop at the first place I could and hose it off then to the car wash for a major cleaning ,stinkyest plie ever ,still can make me want to gag just thinking about it.

They puke out what they've eaten to take off faster. Had a big, bloody wad of puke hit the windshield when I barely missed a buzzard once. Like you said, it was a tad stinky.

Only time I actually hit a buzzard, it glanced off the windshield, but not before knocking an egg out, that splattered all over the glass and roof. That required a quick car wash too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
No, but I’ve come close

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Growing up in GA , you’d see buzzards pretty regular. Now, in SC, they are every damn where. I don’t ever recall seeing so many vultures.

Has there been a vulture explosion? Just the area? Part of the reason for quail numbers tanking?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Was with a friend who lost a drivers side rear view mirror to a rooster pheasant in South Dakota, at 75 mph.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by strosfann
The largest thing I’ve hit with a windshield was a hen pheasant - can’t imagine the thump from a big old buzzard.

Buzzards are pretty light and surprisingly fragile. Lotsa wingspan, but not very heavy.

I bet that pheasant was heavier.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
No vulture but a couple of owls over the years.
I was driving a dark starless night on a paved road in northern MN, smooth quiet ride when my drivers side window shattered. That woke me up. Turned back and found a flying squirrel dead.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'd rather hit another pig than another buzzard!
Filthy creatures! Yeah, yeah, yeah, nature's clean up crew.
Dirt road or international race way, I see buzzards, I slow down!
Hit one that took out a headlight and damaged the grill in a Dodge "Dakota".
My f-i-l was a civilian electrician for the airforce at Sheppard AFB working on the little T6 trainers. A pilot and trainee hit a buzzard during takeoff.
Hit it hard enough it "strained" buzzard between the windshield and gasket into the cockpit.
Needless to say, they immediately returned to base.
The T6 has a little access door to some electronics that the crews also used to store their little dirty bags during flights.
F-I-L said if you ever popped the access door on that T6, there was NO DOUBT that was the plane.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We get tons of them here in the Summer. How I know Spring is here.

On the winding roads not uncommon to come around a corner to see them scarfing down roadkill. Have had to move dead raccoons and deer out of the road to keep the vultures from getting hit.

Almost as bad as bicyclist. But never been flipped off by a buzzard.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Gruff's truck has hit every living thing shy of moose and grizz.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know if it was barf or crap, but having grown up on a farm with hogs ,cows, chickens eat. I have seen and done some nasty things and that raised right up neat to the top

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter

They puke out what they've eaten to take off faster. Had a big, bloody wad of puke hit the windshield when I barely missed a buzzard once. Like you said, it was a tad stinky.

Only time I actually hit a buzzard, it glanced off the windshield, but not before knocking an egg out, that splattered all over the glass and roof. That required a quick car wash too.

laffin’

A blue heron is just the opposite, it’ll schitt about 1/2 gallon of greasy crap to gain momentum quicker! laugh sick
I had a near miss on a buzzard In the great state of FL one time.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Gruff's truck has hit every living thing shy of moose and grizz.

I center punched a nice muley buck last night coming home.

With the wife's Suburban.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nope…. But, back in the early ‘70’s, I came within inches of “catching” one in the face at around 60 mph while riding my motorcycle to work! I’m pretty certain that had I hit it, it would have been a very bad outcome! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
A blue heron is just the opposite, it’ll schitt about 1/2 gallon of greasy crap to gain momentum quicker!

I refer to those as $hitaquarts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In about 1964 I was home on leave and borrowed my mom's car to go to another town. Coming back I got a golden eagle right in the windshield, didn't come through but did a lot of damage to the glass. Her insurance paid for the new windshield which was a very good thing as I sure didn't have any money to speak of.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
OP, maybe you could slow down some. I think birds on the pavement get used to vehicles speed but if a guy travels faster than normal traffic he sure seems to hit more of them. Ain't telling how to drive just an observation of my own..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 09/25/22.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,522
Posts18,472,608
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.