Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Probably modified by someone here on the fire!

I recall a few threads on here detailing it; maybe it was Ingwe’s.
laugh

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would recommend putting a few more bucks with what you have and just buy a pre-64 257 Roberts. It will shoot fine and you can bet it will be worth more than what you paid for it after you hunt with it a few years. Not to mention the satisfaction of owning a nice ore-64 Winchester…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Probably modified by someone here on the fire!

I recall a few threads on here detailing it; maybe it was Ingwe’s.
laugh

I'd buy it if it were Ingwe's old rifle. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Beautiful 257 Bob FWT.

Last edited by GAGoober; 09/23/22.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I’ve owned two Winchester model 70’s that had the black forearm tip. One was a Super Grade and the other one was an XTR Deluxe. And both were most definitely factory and never altered. I’d jump on that 257 bob not only because is a great looking rifle but also because I really enjoy the caliber. See if they’ll haggle a little on the price.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 257 R Featherweight 2012 Shot Show Special. It does not have a black tip. The extractor is not jeweled. And I don't believe that there were only 115 made. I recall looking at one at LGS's in 3 difference cities before I bought it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Gunnison1
I’ve owned two Winchester model 70’s that had the black forearm tip. One was a Super Grade and the other one was an XTR Deluxe. And both were most definitely factory and never altered. I’d jump on that 257 bob not only because is a great looking rifle but also because I really enjoy the caliber. See if they’ll haggle a little on the price.
Yes, they made black tips. But I’ll wager neither are exactly like this; and the likelihood of this being factory is infinitesimally small.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the info. Going to try to talk to the original owner today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I would recommend putting a few more bucks with what you have and just buy a pre-64 257 Roberts. It will shoot fine and you can bet it will be worth more than what you paid for it after you hunt with it a few years. Not to mention the satisfaction of owning a nice ore-64 Winchester…

I agree. By 2012 the old New Haven plant was long gone. I'd have to use my money to buy a real Winchester too.

Last edited by JD45; 09/24/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
If you haven’t already, I would send your photos and the serial number to Winchester for verification.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just remember one thing.The advice you get here on price or correctness of anything is worth exactly what you paid for it!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Huntz
Just remember one thing.The advice you get here on price or correctness of anything is worth exactly what you paid for it!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s the jeweled extractor and black tip that are suspect. But see what the literature shows!

Man, I wished I could remember what it was, but didn’t they have a Cabelas Grade III that was similar?

I’ll be interested In seeing what Winchester has.

This is what I was thinking of.

http://shootinginvestments.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1456

Last edited by beretzs; 09/24/22.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 2012 257 roberts shot show special with jewelled bolt and schnabel tip. I sold mine for $1250 a couple years ago help fund a NULA. I would have doubts that ebony tip is original unless its a configuration I'm unfamiliar with. No idea how many were made but they werent all that rare in 2012-2013.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I too have a NIB 2012 shot show special. Way more then 115 of these made. Jewelled bolt and schnabel forearm. Bought brand new from LGS. Now sure who you spoke too at Winchester but none of the information you are claiming they gave you is correct.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
It’s the jeweled extractor and black tip that are suspect. But see what the literature shows!

Man, I wished I could remember what it was, but didn’t they have a Cabelas Grade III that was similar?

Cabela's had one that came out in 2012, chambered in 257 Roberts, but that rifle probably had a floor plate that said Cabela's limited edition or something.. AK is probably right that the black tip is not factory. The stock shown on the OP's rifle is a fwt stock. I've never seen a factory fwt stock with the black tip. However, with that being said, I really like how the bolt jeweling and black tip look. We all like original collector's items, but every once in a while it's alright to veer off that path a little for a nice rifle. If I were the op, I'd be talking to the gunshop that has it and tell them that it's been modified and not worth the asking price and how much they were willing to go down on the price, just to see if I could get them to budge a little. Today I had a beautiful pre war model 70 in my hands. If it were just a little less money it would have came home with me, even though it was not 100% original. Someone drilled and tapped it for scope mounts, but it sure was a sweet rifle made in 1940..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Cabela's in East Hartford had one of those Super Grade special editions when they came out. Wood was plain jane compared to other SG's I've had and it was stamped Cabela's on the floorplate or I would've bought it.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Price is at least $500 too high.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.