Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
I watched the Missouri Breaks movie and Nickleson questioned Brando as to whether his rifle was a Creedmoor. Never heard of a Creedmoor rifle only cartridges.

Just curious.

If I talk over you, I apologize. I'm afraid I will lose my train-of-thought.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Do you know where the Creedmoor name came from?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Do you know where the Creedmoor name came from?

Long Island right?

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, it was a shooting range on Long Island, back in the late 1800s. It was famous mostly because the U.S. and Britain competed against each at longer range target shooting, back when such matches were a popular spectator sport.

So yeah, there were black-powder cartridge rifles specifically designed for shooting at longer ranges that were called "Creedmoor" rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Thanks. I knew the history of the range but not if there were rifles named Creedmoor.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For some reason I thought it was the Irish who challenged the US for the match at Creedmoor ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This link has some good info on the history of what have become the Palma matches that are held every 4 years.

http://www.usrifleteams.com/Palma_Team.php

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes. Sharps creedmoore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There was a Remington Rolling Block Creedmoor model as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Darn Norwegians!

LOL
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
When the 74 Sharps Creedmoor guns were produced C Sharps co was in Hartford ,Conn. Most were chambered for the 44-90 2 5/8" Sharps bottleneck cartridge that at the end was loaded with a 520 grain paper patched bullet and 105 grains of Fg black powder. When Sharps moved to Bridgeport , Conn. In 1877 the target guns for 1000yds were renamed the "Long Range model" and were at first chambered for the 45-100 2.6" Sharps Straight shell for about 11 months, then they went to the 45-2.4" straight shell. Both loads used 100 grs of Fg black powder and a 550 grain paper patched bullet about 1.47" long with a bc of about .470. Creedmoor and Long Range models had to conform to Creedmoor match rules. They were single trigger only with minimum 3# pull weight and had to scale weigh qualify at 10 #'s or less total wt.
.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Thank you, for the responses.

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Are the Palma matches only held at Camp Perry now days? I see you are in Phoenix, so I assume you know Avery and what all they do up there. Never been.

Re: http://www.usrifleteams.com/Palma_Team.php

Last edited by Xerothermic; 10/13/22.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
This came out of an old magazine that I have, it's the American Rifleman 1968 edition.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Creedmoor range was actually in Queens Village in what is now the Boro of Queens. Located adjacent to the Nassau County border it was wide open farmland at that time. Long Island encompasses the Boros of Brooklyn and Queens the counties of Nassau and Suffolk. Nowadays the boros are no longer considered part of Long Island but in the 19th century they were as they were independent cities and not part of NYC. Could you imagine having a shooting match in someplace where firearms are as ridiculously regulated as they are in NYC?

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Xerothermic
Are the Palma matches only held at Camp Perry now days? I see you are in Phoenix, so I assume you know Avery and what all they do up there. Never been.

Here in Arizona we have our State Championship match the first week in December along with the Southwest Nationals in February. We have other practices/matches at Ben Avery but those are not NRA registered. Here is the calendar if you want to check it out:

Desert Sharpshooters Calendar[quote][/quote]

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by Xerothermic

Here in Arizona we have our State Championship match the first week in December along with the Southwest Nationals in February. We have other practices/matches at Ben Avery but those are not NRA registered. Here is the calendar if you want to check it out:

Desert Sharpshooters Calendar

Thanks! Trying to spectate one of the Avery offerings.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Local gun shop had a Japan made Browning low wall rendition of this style. Believe it was in 45-70. Prob around 1994. Should have bought it. The Sharps made in Hartford and Bridgeport still fascinate me. Glad there are guys keeping Black Powder Cartridge Target matches going.
Great history

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
in the movie Missouri Breaks with Jack Nickolis and Marlo Brando , Brando was the regulator who was trying to catch old Jack who was a cattle and horse thief and Brando carried and used a Creedmoor rifle and that Creedmoor rifle was mentioned alot. was a good movie too and old Jack played his part great as always. still not sure if that Creedmoor rifle in the movie was a real Creedmoor rifle that rifle in the movie was very fancy ?

Last edited by pete53; 10/16/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.