Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice bbq selection. I buy a lot of my kids sports stuff there, including shoes. Hunting and fishing selection is ok. Camping is decent. I usually pick up a $40 easy-up every spring.

Over 60% of the store is clothes. Their Magellan line of clothes and hunting gear is decent quality for the price.

Keep an eye out during their transitions to find some good deals. I.e. end of summer boating stuff on sale to make room for hunting, and visa versa.

For 74 years Academy was a privately held company owned by the Gochman family, but as of a few years ago it’s publically traded on the Nasdaq. Lots of speculation as to whether they go the (mis)direction of every other sporting goods store in the future.

Last edited by Stammster; 09/28/22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Anything from Texas is good!

I'll agree. Connie Jo from Jeff Davis County was very good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Decent. Much better than Bass Pro's crap. But I find their gun sales staff to be insufferable.

^^^^This^^^^

They don't hire knowledgeable gun staff. They hire staff and train them in "ACADEMY culture".
They can't AFFORD knowledgeable gun staff.

Who, in the day on the interwebs and YouTube goes into a store to ask the staff what they should buy??

I just wanna ask them to finger fug it….

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Academy is decent. Prices are decent. Mini Bass Pro is up the road just before the state line. Was in there last weekend for the first time in several years. Wife wanted a pistol and they had a good selection. Down the road is a private gun/hunting store that is well stocked with everything. Good brands. Lots of hunting stuff. Only problem is everything is MSRP. There is a Dick's in the shopping center next to Academy. They moved from across the interstate. Don't think they even carry guns at that Dick's anymore. Walmart next to them. That Walmart no longer carries guns. Academy has decent sales from time to time. Black Friday they usually have some really good prices.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
We stopped to one every day in Texas we were blown away by Academy and Buckeys gas stations

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Tminc
Back before corporate America got hold of them they were a military surplus store.It was a mom and pop operation. Now the corporate slime has turned them into trash.U can shop there,but the Nike and other woke junk makes me sick.i buy my hunting license there,not much else.

Southern Sales IIRC

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Irving_D
We stopped to one every day in Texas we were blown away by Academy and Buckeys gas stations

Bucc-ee's

https://www.facebook.com/bucees/

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 09/28/22.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
buy most of my cloths there.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by stxhunter
buy most of my cloths there.

I've just about quit the Bucc-ee's in Luling, I want to stay married....

ya!

GWB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like Acacdemy 2-stores in Baton Rouge. I have a store card buy ammo, hunting, fishing & other things Ì need with it.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I like Academy.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sportsman’s Warehouse and then Gander Mountain tried opening stores here, couldn’t compete with Academy.

Bass Pro is hanging on on the Far North Side, but that’s the more upscale area.

If I want a $5,000 Johnboat rig complete w/ trailer and outboard I’ll go to Academy, if I want 144mo financing on something much bigger I’ll go to Bass Pro.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have bought a lot of ammo from Academy, used to be free shipping over $25.
I visited the local store when I bought my SIG 2022. Best price around by far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Feed store in a hole in the road town.
Apparently, some locals burn up lot's of 16 gauge ammo because this M&P outfit keeps 16 gauge "in stock"!
Not cheap, but because it's a M&P and not a Big Box outfit and I can always use 16 ammo, I try to buy at least one box when we go in.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Two of our homegrown retailers. Hope you enjoyed your stay. Both stores have lots to offer. I try to help them along often!! Lol.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I think Academy sucks. They are 40 miles from me. They don't keep their inventory current between website and store. I have been several times to buy things their website shows instock in the Jonesboro, AR store. They have never once had what I went in the store to buy. After a couple of those trips.I never made the drive just to go there. I only check there if I am already in town.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never been impressed. Weak selection, not great prices.

Bought the kids some sports stuff there over the years, and always cruise through the ammo and guns. Never see anything that caught my eye.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, Big1bud, 7 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.