Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wasn't going to bite on this thread but I can't help myself....

There was a time I said straight for the field and angled for the range, but after using a couple angled spotters in the field I prefer angled. Fourth point mentions about rain/snow on the ocular of the angled and that is a consideration. Angled are easier on the neck and can be lower on the tripod (or in my case the monopod) and finding a critter with the angled isn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Scanning. There have been plenty of times when 8x or 10x binos don't cut it and a proper, versatile spotter is necessary. Big eye binos have their place in some types of hunting but in mountains they are like carrying a folding lawn chair, and don't cut it when a guy ends up back in the timber. And still a guy still has to carry a spotter to zoom in to get a good look.

The problem with most spotters is the manufacturers insist on eyepieces that start at 20x or 25x. Too much magnified movement when when moving the spotter around and too much magnified tremor. A versatile spotter should start at 15x or lower and it needs excellent eye relief and a decently wide FOV to be versatile and scan with. Plus I have yet to meet a spotter 65mm or less that doesn't start losing resolution beyond 45x or 50x. Even my Swaro or other alpha spotters of that size. Eyepieces should start at 12x or 15x and end at 40x or 45x and then it would be easier to have a wider FOV. But alas, magnification sells just like magnum rifles used to sell.

Having said all this, I'm giving serious consideration to sell my Kowa 553 and buying the Leupold 60mm, even though the Leupold is straight.

It's kind've hard to argue with Mule Deer's duovids though..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
10-4 on those duovids. I'd like to have some myself.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I reckon angled is viable inside a fence on Blue Bird Days,but we've a thing called "weather" and another called "gravity",which fuels same as a minimum. Hint.

The LAST fhuqking thing I want is a Riflescope,Bino,LRF,Camera Lens or Spotter defaulting to a position to collect water. Hint.
Hey little buddy. I hope you are well. Here in Montana, we too get "weather" and have "gravity". Oh, I'm sure you have more weather and more gravity than we do; but, there is an occasional day or two where we do have both.

Anyway, people here, at least the ones who are smarter than a small soap dish, turn their angled spotter 90 degrees so that rain and or snow won't just drip into it. It is actually much more preferred to your suggested method of finding one's self sitting their scratching one's head, staring at the overly confusing situation and complaining about the eyepiece pointing skyward and filling with rain/snow.

Have a great day little buddy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TheBigcry,

Your first hand Reporting from your Jerry Lewis Telethon,is never not funnier than fhuqk...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep waxing eloquent on your exceedingly WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm glad I could help little buddy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Scanning. There have been plenty of times when 8x or 10x binos don't cut it and a proper, versatile spotter is necessary. Big eye binos have their place in some types of hunting but in mountains they are like carrying a folding lawn chair, and don't cut it when a guy ends up back in the timber. And still a guy still has to carry a spotter to zoom in to get a good look.

The problem with most spotters is the manufacturers insist on eyepieces that start at 20x or 25x. Too much magnified movement when when moving the spotter around and too much magnified tremor. A versatile spotter should start at 15x or lower and it needs excellent eye relief and a decently wide FOV to be versatile and scan with. Plus I have yet to meet a spotter 65mm or less that doesn't start losing resolution beyond 45x or 50x. Even my Swaro or other alpha spotters of that size. Eyepieces should start at 12x or 15x and end at 40x or 45x and then it would be easier to have a wider FOV. But alas, magnification sells just like magnum rifles used to sell.

Having said all this, I'm giving serious consideration to sell my Kowa 553 and buying the Leupold 60mm, even though the Leupold is straight.

It's kind've hard to argue with Mule Deer's duovids though..........

I'm with you on the usefulness of 15x on the lower end of the magnification range. I recently sold a straight 60mm that was 15-45x and I used 15x a lot especially for spotting impacts at medium range. And when 8x and 10x binoculars were insufficient for hunting.

I would have kept that scope but the image quality degraded noticeably at higher magnification. I just bought another straight 60mm to replace it which has 20x on the bottom end.

Just not sure how many people agree with us. I suspect that a lot of birders want much more magnification (i.e. 3x or 4x more) than their binoculars. They probably far outnumber hunters, but I could be wrong.

And I always keep my eyes peeled for a used Leupold FLP. Some good deals out there.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,014
Posts18,481,586
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.