-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is so much involved with putting together a show like these. You have 30 mimutes, minus the commercials about 18 minutes.

You have to show the preperation and planning, the hunt, the kill and make it all believable and realistic to the experts among us and the novice folks without a clue that it was faked or not.

Imagine the imput on a progam like this with a dozen people all wanting it done a certain way. Heck you could not get a dozen people from a cross section of this web site to agree on anything much less make a nice hunting video on the basic whitetail deer!

I'm certainly no fan of these shows on the whole, but I fully understand the effort, debate, and outright arguements that take place when they are filming and editing them. This is a no win project from the word go. You simply cannot entertain experts and novice hunters alike in 18 minutes of video time.

What I think should be differnet or what any of us think should be different is not relevent in the big scheme of things. We don't finance the show, we don't direct it, we don't edit or have squat to do with the responsibility of pulling it together, we just watch and then complain about it.

I'm not sticking up for poor qualtiy or stipid antics. Just pointing out that complianing is very easy when you have not worked in the process of putting these together.

Many of the vidoes shown are in a game ranch setting. Do you realize that aside from the personalities involved which are all "the expert" and then the weather, travel, timing and logistics, you have to put these together the best you can with a pretty certain outcome that a game farm can provide. Imagine how many hours of travel and how many seasons would be involved to film 18 minutes of successful footage for real wild game. You could have months of continious footage before getting the moments of film that are needed to make a great 18 minute show. At what cost?

Agreed that much is silly and embarrasing to watch. However until you work on these projects and see the way these ego's work together( or don't work together) with the "film experts" and the guy with the checkbook, or the business supporting the video and the yahoo they sent out to oversee the filming, it's a wonder they are as good as they are!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
JJ

I'll believe the ralistic preparation and planning part when they show a guy on the phone for hours checking references.

Haven't seen a single phone call yet. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Eastons seems to be pretty good & I forget the names but it's a father & son or two who drive to their hunts in a Semi-truck that's been converted...Tred Barta cracks me up...Your all right about being around him with a bow...On one show his GUIDE walked off the job...I wonder why...tt

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Most of the shows and hosts on these programs are terrible. However I do enjoy Jim Shockey, and North to Alaska with Larry Zsonka.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Curt Gowdy's show American Sportsman started it all..and was always well done!!!

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

JJH,

Your points are perhaps all true but somewhat beside THE point perhaps, and this is not complaining or whining or at least that was not my feeling at initial post.

The point is regardless of the truth of all your points, and they are good ones, these shows all reflect on us individually and corporately as gun owners and hunters and more and more I can envision those from both ends of fly-over country who already look at us side-ways are convinced that there ill-conceivd convictions are true. And that can only hurt us but more importantly the future of gun ownership and hunting which is already under assault.

Gdv

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by husqvarna
There is one show that talks about deer behavior, biology and management; I find this kind of information interesting and possibly helpful.

The worst thing about the about most of the poorly produced hunting shows is they make hunting look easy. They give no sense of what it is like to be fustrated and tired, hot and tired, confused and tired, cold and tired, wet and tired and all the other situations that can make hunting a tough sport.

hus..,

You might be refering to DEER & DEER HUNTING. Some of it's kinda boring. But Dr.Kroll is spot on, in my experience, especially when predicting the northern rut. Have followed his predictions for the last couple of years.

And yeah, Tred Barta is THE MAN!

Too old to suffer fools
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I rarely watch any of the TV hunting shows-commercials..
Most don't have much happening I can relate to( or afford)..:)

I did watch one over the weekend in the wee hours of the morning.
It was sponsored by CZ USA I think.
Some very nice shotguns in use on a large ranch down in Argentina.

I watched..and watched as literally clouds of doves flew over their spot..and I mean thousands!!

The two older shooters shot..and shot..and shot doves..for near an hour!!( a TV hour)

They shot over 500 doves in the morning's shooting and literally thousands of 12 gauge rounds!

The pile of hulls was huge..and the dead doves were gathered up and put in numerous cardboad boxes.. I'd assume heading for consumption by the locals? but never did hear...
It was amazing and for one who has never killed game birds wholesale like that..a bit apalling...Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jim, a second cousin of mine went on one of those Arg. dove hunts a few years ago and he said that in two days of hunting his hunting party killed approximately 25,000 doves (which mostly went to the locals). Don't know how many folks were involved, but still, that's simply amazing. Hard to imagine such a thing.

Weiners are health food - My dad
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
DeltaHunter..It is for me too..
Cannot imagine such an abundance of doves anywhere..must be huge grass-farmlands down there..

Also can't imagine shooting-killing such a whole lot more than I needed to eat or could skin-butcher-pluck myself..:)

Those fellows must REALLY like shotgunning and wing shooting..:)
But it's not my personal style I guess.. Jim

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.