Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I highly doubt you’ll see much difference what gun are you shooting and bullets a 308 tends to be a pussy cat that eats everything

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Went out to the range on Sunday. Got the rifle sighted in for 100, 200 300 yards with the 150 FMJ boat tails, shot acceptable groups at all three ranges. Cleaned the barrel and shot the flat base with the same powder charge and primer. The flat base bullets did rather well at 300 relative to the the boat tails. Using either bullet would would work for shooting the steel plate at 300 off hand once I get up to snuff. Now I need to start practicing..
thank you for the info and advice..

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Always flatbase first........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
My only aversion to flat based bullets is that they are a little trickier to start into the case when seating. For hunting any supposed advantage in accuracy of a flat base is offset by superior downrange ballistics of boattails but it really comes down to what works in YOUR rifle.

Not if you chamfer necks.. I prefer flat based bullets, I think they penetrate better...

of course that can be an opinion instead of an observation..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
My only aversion to flat based bullets is that they are a little trickier to start into the case when seating. For hunting any supposed advantage in accuracy of a flat base is offset by superior downrange ballistics of boattails but it really comes down to what works in YOUR rifle.

Not if you chamfer necks.. I prefer flat based bullets, I think they penetrate better...

Necks are chamfered. Boattails are easier.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Some .308's shoot 150 grain flat base bullets better than 150 boat-tails because they have a long throat e.g. Remington 700's, and the only way you can get anywhere close to the lands with 150's is with flat base bullets.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

Necks are chamfered. Boattails are easier.

Boat tails are definitely easier. However, it depends on what flat base we are talking about. Some are far easier than others. I just loaded some 150gr Nosler partitions, but those are actually chamfered to allow for easier seating. Some flat based bullets are not like that at all and are a biotch.. Now, as for accuracy. This has been brought up a 100 times here. Generally flat based bullets are more precise at moderate ranges. Say out to 400 yards. But after that, the boat tails are generally better. They are more streamlined, so it only makes sense..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boat tail vs flat base bullets are an enigma in the dozen or so 7x57's I have owned. The longer throated barrels don't care much for boat tails, but with only a couple exceptions they all liked Nosler Partitions even though there is a light chamfer at the base.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My std. bullets for the .270 Win and 6.5x55mm are flat-base Speer GS, 150 and 140 gr. respectively.

For decades, it was the Speer Hot-Cor and then Nosler Partitions swapped in for hunting. Both flat-base as well.

Only boat-tails are the Barnes TXS bullets, but they shoot very good as well.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most every rifle I have tested flat base bullets shoot better at 100 meters. I suspect it would be different at 500 meters.
Example: my 300 savage shoots 150 grain Interlock flat base under 1 1/2 MOA, it shoots boat-tail 150 grain Interlocks around 4 1/2 MOA.
I have rifles that shoot boat tail bullets well. But flat base bullets almost always beat bt’s in accuracy in my testing.
I still test both.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 8 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,910
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.