Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Back in the day I used to go to Cabela's about once a week. I haven't been there in years now.

Scheels is my go to store. Fantastic.

+1

Love going to Eden Prairie Scheels!

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Scheels in Eau Claire is my go to store.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by viking
Went to Billings yesterday to use up my Cabellas points (700).

Anyway I walked into the Gun Library and it was about empty, mostly junk. What happened to all the classic stuff?
Bass Pro bought them a few years back….good news is, they now carry plenty of Circus Peanuts and Chinese made trinkets.

Buy once, cry once.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Cabela's Gun Library was a good business model for Cabela's, after Johnny Morris (BP) bought the libraries are still in the stores but racks mostly empty. Cabela's purchased all firearms, wrote customer checks, no consignments so for the number of stores that's sizeable investment. BP well know controlling their cash flow, slow paying manufactures and China, surprised Gun Libraries are currently still in the stores. Like others have posted the collectable market has been on decline for some time as new buyers want Black handguns and rifles.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I browse the gun library online, but holy smoke the prices are high

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Their prices are high, no doubt. Once in a while they have something in there which isn't otherwise available. If you want it, you pay. If not, you walk. I missed a couple rifles i regret. Not "deals", just available. Winchester high wall in .375 H&H comes to mind as does a #1 in .458. I don't NEED either else I'd have come home with them but still .. cool rifles.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
I remember when Cabelas used to have racks of used guns that you could just walk up to and look at. You could take them off the rack, cycle the actions, shoulder them etc.... The only thing you couldn't do with them was dry fire because they all had trigger locks but if you were interested they'd take the lock off so you could dry fire them. I bought several rifles at decent prices off those racks but now all used guns are behind the counters and you have to get someone to hand them to you one at a time when I used to look at 100 in a day. This was the Sidney NE store and Dick Cabela used to walk around the store talking to people. Nice guy.

When BP bought Cabelas they screwed it all up. Haven't bought anything from them in years.

Yep. The whole going public and building nationwide was a bad decision for the consumer.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed. The gun libraries at Sidney, Omaha and Mitchell have not been the same since the BPS merger. I bought a couple, but always enjoyed looking. Our local Scheel's Sporting goods kick the crap out of them now. I'll bet the Cabel's brothers are rolling in their graves. Sad end to a once great company.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing stays the same, sometimes for the better, usually not lately. I like GI better than GB these days for the most part as you can deal directly with the seller. Nearest Cabelas is a mini-store in Gainesville, VA. I’d rather go to Clark Bros in Warrenton, or go a but farther to Green Top.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The ones here in Central Ohio either don’t have anything or new guns at new prices. I miss the old gun library and I miss the bargain cave too .

IC B3

B
Online Content
B
I have a Cabelas near me, that when I’ve got nothing better to do, I’ll stop in. Cabelas used to be one of my favorite stores, now it’s just a bunch of Chinesum and very little else. Reloading components are few and far between, and ammo is all in new calibers to make you buy a new gun. (ie. 350 Legend and 6.5 creedmoore). The gun library is well stocked with completely over priced guns. A beat to chit Remington 700 CDL in 7mm Mag without a scope, rings or base, missing blueing and the stock looked like someone had dragged it behind the truck, they wanted $1000 for. Other prices were just as insane. A bubbafied Arsenal SLR-104UR for $4500. Freaking looney tunes.

Last edited by Bulwyeth; 10/02/22.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The store in Farmington UT is a small one. The Gun Library is pretty scant, with a few used handguns and multiple new $269 shotguns. At least that is the way it was when I last went there

Be not weary in well doing.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gunzo
They emptied & closed the one in Lex. Ky. after the BP buyout. It hadn't re-opened for a year or so afterward. Now, I don't know. I pretty much quit going after they filed the store with junk & kept the higher pricing that Cabela's had on the good stuff.
Wasn't that the Sportsman's warehouse that closed?

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Their prices are high, no doubt. Once in a while they have something in there which isn't otherwise available. If you want it, you pay. If not, you walk. I missed a couple rifles i regret. Not "deals", just available. Winchester high wall in .375 H&H comes to mind as does a #1 in .458. I don't NEED either else I'd have come home with them but still .. cool rifles.
Exactly.

If you stumble upon a must have. Buy it. It’s not the place to specifically look for something if you can find it elsewhere.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Live 20 min. from the Hamburg,Pa. Cabelas. Since bass pro took over the gun library sucks like the rest of the store

Home Of The Mollies
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The Gun Library Manager at my local Cabela's was a complete dumb s hit, had to consult price guides for just about everything. They had a 6" blue Python priced at $3,500, no thanks. Strolled thru there on most visits, never bought anything. I hate BPS chinese clothing, bought a couple pair of cargo pants and they fell apart before they were a year old.

dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in Hamburg store earlier today. Used racks seemed full but didn’t take time to look around. Hamburg is the home of the $899 and up Rem 788, and $1000 760s.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hammond Indiana gun library about done and bargain cave gone no reason to stop anymore
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They post used guns on Guns International all the time.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The took out the Gun Library at the store here in Greenville SC. No more used guns just the Bass Pro chineseum crap and overpriced clothes. The did away with the bargain cave also. No point in even going into the store anymore

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,514
Posts18,472,404
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.