Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
What I am looking for is an 18 - 20" barreled gun that is multi use and 7- 9 lbs...mb

But it has to be the "best"? That may be very subjective. When I was looking for an AR10 308, I went with the classic Armalite, and yes that is an actual "AR10". The rest are "AR308 patterns". All semantics, however. Can you live with a rifle that is both very accurate and reliable, while not necessarily being the "best"? Whatever that may require... For my 6.5 Creedmoor I went with a S&W performance center. It does well enough. Has a 5R barrel and always shoots sub moa:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Weighs in around 9 pounds. Like I said, "best" is highly subjective. I've been pretty content with mine. It's a solid shooter. I can also say that I have a buddy that built his from an Aero Precision upper and lower and it shoots almost as well, but he has half the money into his.. The next one I can compare it to is a rifle my buddy has. It was given to him as a gift from one of his contract buddies. It's a Savage MSR I believe. That rifle shoots phenomenally well, but it has issues. The other day he was shooting it and the brass got stuck in the chamber 3 different times. He finally gave up on shooting it. I put mine away, as I didn't want to make him feel bad.

That rifle shoots well enough that I decided to throw a NF scope on it. All my other AR's run cheap azzed Burris'..
I've never had a single issue with this rifle, so it is good enough while not being the "best"..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Still waiting for Tom t to answer his pm. I don't remember asking the best money can buy think I got hacked. I like a good AR-10 rifle with an 18-20" barrel. That weighs 7-9 #'s that is ready to go out of the box. Sorry for the confusion..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Still waiting for Tom t to answer his pm. I don't remember asking the best money can buy think I got hacked. I like a good AR-10 rifle with an 18-20" barrel. That weighs 7-9 #'s that is ready to go out of the box. Sorry for the confusion..mb

I mostly hunt with my Diamondback DB10. If I hunt hogs or deer, it's the rifle I use.

https://diamondbackfirearms.com/portfolio/db10bgmb/

Very well made, and tight groups.

I actually have 2 uppers for it. a 16" with a variable scope, and an 18" that carries one of my thermals.

Favorite hunting rifle in either respect.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
BOB. Check your PMs. I replied, but I think you "removed himself from the conversation", I'm assuming accidently?
I copied & pasted yesterdays response into a new PM. Thanks! -Tom

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best is quite a subjective term. Perhaps it’s better to define the real application of the rifle for your use.

That said, I’m partial to the LaRue rifles.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
While I like many of the rifles mentioned, I just can't warm to a 9.5Lb bare rifle unless you're just bench shooting or shooting from a blind. Add a scope and a full 10 round mag and you have some real heft if you plan to walk and stalk.

That's what I like about the POF rifles. They're designed to be considerably lighter. I'll see if I can find my scale and weigh my POF Revolution with a Trijicon Credo HX 1-6 x 24 in LaRue mount, Nomad 30 w/ e-brake and a full 10 rd mag. The entire rig has a nice balance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Armalite developed them. They are pretty good as well.

I have one, and have been very pleased with it. I did replace the trigger, but otherwise it's in the factory configuration. Not a bad shooter at all.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gsganzer
While I like many of the rifles mentioned, I just can't warm to a 9.5Lb bare rifle unless you're just bench shooting or shooting from a blind. Add a scope and a full 10 round mag and you have some real heft if you plan to walk and stalk.

That's what I like about the POF rifles. They're designed to be considerably lighter. I'll see if I can find my scale and weigh my POF Revolution with a Trijicon Credo HX 1-6 x 24 in LaRue mount, Nomad 30 w/ e-brake and a full 10 rd mag. The entire rig has a nice balance.

So I just weighed my entire POF Revolution setup with a full 10 rd. mag and an Alpine 2 point sling. It was 10lbs- 9 3/4oz. I think that's pretty good considering I don't feel the LaRue mount or Trijicon Credo HX are necessarily lightweight compared to some other offerings. I can't imagine starting out with a 9.5 lb. rifle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Armalite AR-10.

The modern Brown, er...Black Bess.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Armalite AR-10.

The modern Brown, er...Black Bess.

I have an Armalite AR-10B (the M14 mag model). It's a good rifle too. I had an opportunity to handle a RRA .308, DPMS .308 and my Armalite AR-10B one weekend. The RRA was the heaviest and clunkiest of the 3. The DPMS was the lightest, but the trigger was awful (can be changed) and it was the cheapest feeling of the 3. The AR-10 had the best fit and finish of them all and was mid-way regarding weight of the 3. I installed an ARFX stock and a JP front handguard, making it a nice handling gun.

My AR-10 has the chrome lined barrel. It's a 1 1/2" - 2" gun at 100 yards which is perfectly acceptable for most hunting. I never did spend time trying to work up a handload for it and I typically just shot winchester silver box or remington corelock. It's possible it shoots better with quality ammo.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,397
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.